Binary Pd-M (M – d-metals) systems: Pd-Ni, Pd-Cu, Pd-Ag, Pd-Au are the type of bimetallic nanomaterials which in the last decade are the subject of interested due to their increased catalytic activity in the processes of anodic oxidation of low-molecular organic substances, in particular for the oxidation of ethanol, methanol, glycerin, formic acid, which is the subject of the application in sensors and, especially in the fuel cells. Perspective for the last in the aspect of catalysis of anode and cathode processes is a system of Pd-Au.
The catalytic activity of nanostructured Pd-Au/GC electrodes in reactions of electrochemical oxidation of methanol in alkaline solutions was investigated by the authors of the work. One of the main characteristics of the effectiveness of their catalytic action of catalysts is the ratio of the components in nanostructured binary systems. The influence of the content of Pd and Au in the Pd-Au/GC electrode on its electrocatalytic activity during anodic oxidation of methanol in alkaline solution was studied. The increasing of the content of palladium in the binary nanostructured Pd-Au system accelerates the complete oxidation of methanol, thus contributing to a decrease of the content of intermediates compounds that point to the high efficiency of the nanostructured Pd-Au/GC electrodes. Effective electrochemical oxidation of methanol on the surface of Pd-Au/GC takes place only if exists solid layer of sediment.
1. Volkov S. V. NanohImIya, nanosistemi, nanomaterIali / S. V. Volkov, E. P. Kovalchuk, V. M. Ognenko, O. V. Reshetnyak. - K.: Nauk. dumka, 2008. - 423 s.
2. Guzman J. Catalysis by supported gold: correlation between catalytic activity for CO oxidation and oxidation states of gold / J. Guzman, B. C. Gates // J. Amer. Chem. Soc. - 2004. - Vol. 126, Nо. 9. - P. 2672-2673.
3. Savadogo O. New palladium alloys catalyst for the oxygen reduction reaction in an acid medium / O. Savadogo, K. Lee, K. Oishi, S. Mitsushima, N. Kamiya // Electrochem. Commun. - 2004. - Vol. 6, Nо. 2. - P. 105-109.
4. Fernandez J. L. Thermodynamic guidelines for the design of bimetallic catalysts for oxygen electroreduction and rapid screening by scanning electrochemical microscopy. M-Co (M: Pd, Ag, Au) / J. L. Fernandez, D. A. Walsh, A. J. Bard // J. Am. Chem. Soc. V. - 2005. - Vol. 127, Nо. 1. - P. 357-365.
5. Sarkar A. Low cost Pd-W nanoalloy electrocatalysts for oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells / A. Sarkar, A. V. Murugan, A. Manthiram // J. Mater. Chem. - 2009. - Vol. 19, N 1. - P. 159-165.
6. Wang W. Carbon-supported Pd-Co bimetallic nanoparticles as electrocatalysts for the oxygen reduction reaction / W. Wang, D. Zheng, C. Dua, Z. Zoua, X. Zhang, B. Xia, H. Yang, D. L. Akins // J. Power Sources. - 2007. - Vol. 167, Nо. 2. - P. 243-249.
7. Xu J. B. Stabilization of the palladium electrocatalyst with alloyed gold for ethanol oxidation / J. B. Xu, T. S. Zhao, S. Y. Shen, Y. S. Li. // Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. - 2010. - Vol. 35. - P. 6490-6500.
8. Hong W. Synthesis of dendritic PdAu nanoparticles with enhanced electrocatalytic activity / W. Hong, C. Shang, J. Wang, E. Wang // Electrochem. Commun. - 2014. - Vol. 48. - P. 65-68.
9. Sirlane G. da Silva. PdAu/C Electrocatalysts as anodes for direct formate fuel cell / Sirlane G. da Silva, Júlio César M. Silva, Guilherme S. Buzzo, Estevam V. Spinacé, Almir O. Neto, Mônica H. M. T. Assumpção // Electrocatalysis. - 2015. - Vol. 6. - P. 442-446.
10. Renjith A. One step preparation of 'ready to use' Au@Pd nanoparticle modified surface using deep eutectic solvents and a study of its electrocatalytic properties in methanol oxidation reaction / A. Renjith, V. Lakshminarayanan // J. Mater. Chem. A. - 2015. - Vol. 3, Nо. 6. - P. 30193028.
11. Yin Z. Supported bimetallic PdAu nanoparticles with superior electrocatalytic activity towards methanol oxidation / Z. Yin, M. Chi, Q. Zhu, D. Ma, J. S. Xinhe // J. Mater. Chem. A. - 2013. - Vol. 1, Nо. 32. - P. 9157-9163.
12. Pokhmurskii V. I. Formation of palladium nanoparticles under pulse current in a dimethylformamide solution / V. I. Pokhmurskii, O. I. Kuntyi, S. A. Kornii, O. I. Bilan', E. V. Okhermchuk // Protection of Metals and Physic. Chem. Surfac. - 2011. - Vol. 47. - P. 59-62.
13. Sus L. Controlled gold deposition by pulse electrolysis / L. Sus, Ye. Okhremchuk, I. Saldan, O. Kuntyi, O. Reshetnyak, S. Korniy // Materials Letters. - 2015. - Vol. 139. - P. 296-299.
14. Fratini E. Nucleation and growth of Au and Au-Pd nanoparticles at the beginning of electrochemical deposition / E. Fratini, A. Girella, I. Saldan, C. Milanese, O. Dobrovetska, L. Sus, Ye. Okhremchuk, O. Kuntyi, O. Reshetnyak // Materials Letters. - 2015. - Vol. 161. - P. 263-266.