This article is devoted to the analysis and prospects of using different types of organic waste to achieve environmental goals. Due to the unique climate and natural resources, Ukraine has significant potential for biomass, the processing of which should solve urgent problems with the disposal of waste, as well as the production of alternative energy sources and biofertilizers. The preferred substrates for anaerobic digestion in Ukraine, considering the technological feasibility, availability, and volume are animal manure (cattle, pigs), bird droppings, plant residues, industrial sludge, common sludges. After analyzing the statistics for 2015-2019, the groups of dominant wastes were identified, and with the help of the built-in function "TREND," the forecast of the waste potential with an organic component for 2021-2026 was constructed. Examining the obtained indicators for different types of waste, the reasons for the tendency of decrease or increase in their formation in the next five years were revealed. The direction of enhancing the sustainability of bioenergy, achieving environmental goals through the bioprocessing of organic waste associated with the ecological safety of production processes were discussed.
1. Barthakur, A., Bora, M., & Singh H. D. (1991). Kinetic model for substrate utilization and methane production in the anaerobic digestion of organic feeds. Biotechnology Progress, 7(4), 369-376. doi:10.1021/bp00010a012
2. Biogas projects in Ukraine 2020. Infographics. (2020). SAF: Sustainable Agribusiness Forum. Retrieved from https://saf.org.ua/news/1042/
3. Buriak, R. I. (2017). Research and forecasting of conditions of Ukraine poultry products market. Scientific Journal of NUBiP. Series: Economy, Agrarian Management, Business, 260. Retrieved from http://journals.nubip.edu.ua/index.php/Economica/article/view/8824
4. Dhanya, B., Mishra, A., Chandel, A. K., & Verma, M. L. (2020). Development of sustainable approaches for converting the organic waste to bioenergy. Science of The Total Environment, 723, 138109. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138109
5. Dynamics of poultry production in Ukraine since 1990 and forecasts of industry development till 2020. (2013). Poultry Market: Poultry farming of Ukraine and the world management, analytics, reforms, standards. Retrieved from http://market.avianua.com/?p=48
6. China. (2011). CN Patent No. 102173895. Jiangsu Cascade Clean Energy, Inc.
7. Consortium Resources and Waste Advisory Group Limited, UK and COWI A/S, Denmark. (2016). Programme to Support the Green Modernization of the Ukrainian Economy. National Waste Management Strategy for Ukraine. Annex 5: Agricultural Waste. Working document preliminary draft. Retrieved from https://eco.kiev.ua/assets/files/Dod.5.-Vidhodi-silskogo-gospodarstva.pdf
8. Geletukha, G. G., Zheluzna, T. A., & Dragnev, S. V. (2018). Analysis of the possibilities of production and distribution of briquettes from agricultural production in Ukraine. Analytical note of BAU, 20, 5-6. Retrieved from https://saf.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/position-paper-uabio-20-ua...
9. Healthy soils with sustainable biogas and biomethane value chains — 3 arguments to World Soil Day. (2020). UABIO: Bioenergetic Association of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://uabio.org/news/9351/
10. Law of Ukraine “On Waste”: Zakon Ukraine 1998, №187/98- VR (1998). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/187/98-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text
11. Paritosh, K., Kushwaha, S. K., Yadav, M., Pareek, N., Chawade, A., & Vivekanand, V. (2017). Food Waste to Energy: An Overview of Sustainable Approaches for Food Waste Management and Nutrient Recycling. BioMed research international, 2370927. doi:10.1155/2017/2370927
12. Polishchuk, V. M., Shvorov, S. A., Krusir, G. V., & Davidenko, T. S. (2020). Increase of the biogas output during fermentation of manure of cattle with winemaking waste in biogas plants. Problemele energeticii regionale, 2(46), 123–134. doi:10.5281/zenodo.3898326.1
13. Polishchuk, V. M., Shvorov, S. A., Tarasenko, S. Y., & Antypov, I. O. (2020). Increasing the biogas release during the cattle manure fermentation by means of rational addition of substandard flour as a cosubstrate. Science and innovation, 16(4), 23-33. doi:10.15407/scin16.04.023
14. Prospects for the development of the biomass market in the EU and Ukraine. Impact of biomass utilization on climate change. (2019). Zelenaja energetika. Retrieved from https://uspp.ua/assets/doc/uspp-biomass.pdf
15. Rocamora, I., Wagland, S.T., Villa, R., Simpson, E.W., Fernandez, O., & Bajón-Fernández, Y. (2020). Dry anaerobic digestion of organic waste: A review of operational parameters and their impact on process performance. Bioresource Technology, 299, 122681. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2019.122681
16. Ryabukha, G. (2019). State regulation and forecasting of pultry breeding as a prospective livestock industry. Problems And Prospects Of Economic And Management, 1(17), 107-113. doi:10.25140/2411-5215-2019-1(17)-107-113
17. Shapovalov, Y., Zhadan, S., Bochmann, G., Salyuk, A., & Nykyforov, V. (2020). Dry anaerobic digestion of chicken manure: a review. Applied Sciences, 10(21), 7825. doi:10.3390/app10217825
18. Skliar R. (2021). Potential of energy production from agricultural waste. Obukhov Readings: XYI International Scientific and Practical Conference. Kiev, Ukraine : NUBiP.
19. Statistical yearbook. Environment of Ukraine 2015-2019. (2019). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://ukrstat.org/en/druk/publicat/kat_e/publ1_e.htm
20. State Classifier of Inputs: Classification of inputs on the basis of a system and infrastructure. DK 005-96. Order № 89. (1996). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/vb089217-96#Text
21. Substrate for biogas. (2019). Ecobusiness. Retrieved from https://ecolog-ua.com/news/syrovyna-dlya-biogazu
22. Thanarasu, A., Periyasamy, K., Devaraj, K., Periyaraman, P., Palaniyandi, S., & Subramanian, S. (2018). Tea powder waste as a potential co-substrate for enhancing the methane production in Anaerobic Digestion of carbon-rich organic waste. Journal of Cleaner Production, 199, 651–658. doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.225
23. The potential of biomethane production in Ukraine. (2020). SAF: Sustainable Agribusiness Forum. Retrieved from https://saf.org.ua/news/590/
24. Voytovych, I., Malovanyy, M., Zhuk, V., & Mukha, O. (2020). Facilities and problems of processing organic wastes by familytype biogas plants in Ukraine. Journal of Water and Land Development. 45 (IV–VI), 185–189. doi: 10.24425/ jwld.2020.133493
25. Wąs, A., Sulewski, P., Krupin, V., Popadynets, N., Malak-Rawlikowska, A., Szymańska, M., Skorokhod, I., & Wysokiński, M. (2020). The potential of agricultural biogas production in Ukraine—impact on GHG emissions and energy production. Energies, 13(21), 5755. doi:10.3390/en13215755