REQUIREMENTS TO SUBMISSION AND EXECUTION OF ARTICLES
- Scientific articles, sent to editors, shall be original, not previously published in other printed or electronic editions.
- Editor accept for printing only works that have the following elements:
- formulation of the problem;
- analysis of recent researches and publications, where the solution of the problem was initiated and which the author relies on;
- summary of the basic material of the research with full justification of scientific results;
- conclusions of the research and perspectives for further research in this area.
- The article shall be written in Ukrainian or Russian.
- Volume of the article ranges from 3 to 12 pages, including references.
- Pages are not numbered.
- The article should be executed in A-4 format of Microsoft Word for Windows text editor, as a file with *.doc, *.docx, *.rtf extension; font – Times New Roman, font size – 14, line spacing 1,5; paragraph indention - 10 mm; all margins - 20 mm.
- The article shall not contain hyphenations and macros.
- List of sources used shall be places in the end of the paper in order of mentioning of sources, be titled “Literature” and be executed in accordance with the standards of bibliographic description (see standard “Bibliographic record. Bibliographic Description.” (ДСТУ 7.1:2006 and Form 23, approved by the High Qualification Committee of Ukraine on May 29, 2007 under No.342). References to sources in the text are made in square brackets indicating numbers of pages in the appropriate source. For example, [2, p. 24] or [1, p. 13; 8, p. 23].
Materials published express the position of the author, which may differ from the position of the editor’s office of the magazine.
Authors of scientific publications are responsible for the originality of the text of the article, accuracy of facts, quotations, statistic data, proper names, place names and other information, as well as for the fact that the materials do not contain information not subject to open publishing.
The final decision on publication is taken by the editors, who also reserve the right to perform further review, editing and to reject articles.
RULES FOR EXECUTING THE REFERENCES TRANSLITERATED INTO ROMANIC (LATIN) ALPHABET
Correct description of sources used in the references is a guarantee that the quoted publication will be taken into account when assessing the scientific work of its authors, therefore, (in chain order) - organization, region, country. By quoting the magazine, its scientific level, credibility, efficiency of its editorial team, etc. are determined. So, the most significant component of the quotation is surnames of the authors and magazines’ titles. Moreover, to make all the authors of the publication to be taken into account in the system, your description of the article should include all the authors, not cutting them to three, four and so on. Titles of articles in this case give further information about their content and, although titles are not used in the analytical system, Scopus recommends including them into descriptions of references.
For the articles in Ukrainian and Russian languages, that use references from the magazines, we recommend the following structure of bibliographic references in References:
- names of authors (transliteration);
- title of the article in the version transliterated, and translated title of the article in English in square brackets ;
- title of the source (transliteration) and translation of the title of the source in English ;
- input data with notations in English only or digital notations only (the latter based on description standard used).
References for Scopus and other foreign databases (DB) are fed as entirely separate block, repeating a list of literature to the part in Ukrainian, regardless of the fact whether it contains foreign sources or not. If the References include references to foreign publications, they are fully repeated in the list, prepared in the Roman alphabet.
Description of magazine articles:
Zagurenko A.G., Korotovskikh V.A., Kolesnikov A.A., Timonov A.V., Kardymon D.V. Tekhniko- ekonomichna optimizatsiya dizainu gidrorazryvu plasta [Techno-economic optimization of the design of hydraulic fracturing]. Neftyanoe khozyaistvo - Oil Industry, 2008, no.11, pp. 54-57 [in Ukrainian].
The following representation (title of the article is only transliterated without translation) of references is unwelcome:
Zagurenko A.G., Korotovskikh V.A., Kolesnikov A.A., Timonov A.V., Kardymon D.V. Tekhniko-ekonomichna optimizatsiya dizainu gidrorazryvu plasta.
Neftyanoe khozyaistvo – Oil Industry, 2008, no.11, pp. 54-57.
Free software for formation of bibliography is available online. It is enough to make a Google search with words “Create citation”, and you will get some of free software, allowing automatic creating of links in accordance with the proposed standards. Moreover, the descriptions can be created for different types of publications (book, magazine article, Internet source, etc.). Here are some links to such sites: http://www.easybib.com; http://www.bibme.org;http://www.sourceaid.com
Technology of preparation of references using the system of automatic transliteration and translator
This software is very simple; it is easy for use both for references and for transliteration of different parts of the description.
Here is a short sample of the scheme of references conversion process:
- Access the site http://litopys.org.ua/links/intrans.htm
- In a special field insert all the text of bibliography in Ukrainian language and press the button “перекодувати” (“transcode”). Example of automatic transliteration using the software online:
- Original text: Загробська А.Ф. Міграція, відтворення і рівень освіти населення. – К.: Наук. думка, 1983. – 182 с.
- Transliterated text: Zahrobs’ka A.F. Mihratsiia, vidtvorennia i riven’ osvity naselennia. – K.: Nauk. Dumka, 1983. – 182 s.
- Copy the text transliterated into References – a list to be prepared.
- Translate all the descriptions of sources, except authors (title of the book, article, regulation, etc.) to English, carry it to the list to be prepared (titled with a transliterated title).
- Combine the transliterated descriptions and translated text and execute in accordance with the established rules. It is necessary to reveal the place of publication (Kyiv) and correct marking of pages in English (instead of 182 s. write 182 p.) Highlight the title of source in Italics, add [in Ukrainian] at the end of the sentence and reference is ready: Zahrobs’ka A.F. Mihratsiia, vidtvorennia i riven’ osvity naselennia [Migration, reproduction and level of education of population]. Kyiv: Nauk. Dumka, 1983, 182 p. [in Ukrainian] Or shall we take, for example, a reference:
- Кочукова Е.В., Павлова О.В., Рафтопуло Ю.Б. Система экспертных оценок в информационном обеспечении учёных // Информационное обеспечение науки. Новые технологии: Cб. науч. тр. / Калёнов Н.Е. (ред.). – М.: Научный Мир, 2009. – 342 c. – С. 190–199.
- We insert it to the program, add [in Russian] at the end of the sentence, and receive: Kochukova E.V. Pavlova O.V. Raftopulo Iu.B. Sistema ekspertnykh otsenok v informatsionnom obespechenii uchenykh // Informatsionnoe obespechenie nauki. Novye tekhnologii: Sb. nauch. tr., M.: Nauchnyi Mir, 2009, S.190-199 [in Russian].
- In References it is absolutely unacceptable to use Ukrainian ДСТУ 7.1:2006 “System of standards on information, librarianship and publishing. Bibliographic record. Bibliographic description. General requirements and rules of execution”. Any international standard for bibliographic description uses punctuation marks, used in the Ukrainian ДСТУ (“//” and “–”). Title of the source and output data are separated from authors and title of the article by a font type, often by italics, by a dot or by a comma.
Changing references being transliterated:
- Remove special delimiters between margins and quotes (“//”,“–”, “”,,”).
- In brackets after the transliteration write the translated title of article and title of source in English.
- Write full place of publishing and marking of pages in English (publishing office shall remain transliterated). Add [in Russian] at the end of the sentence.
Final result we get:
Kochukova E.V. Pavlova O.V. Raftopulo Iu.B. Sistema ekspertnykh otsenok v informatsionnom obespechenii uchenykh [The peer review system in the information providingof scientists] Informatsionnoe obespechenie nauki. Novye tekhnologii: Sb. nauch. tr., [Information Support of Science. New Technologies: Collected papers]. Moscow: Nauchnyi Mir, 2009, pp.190-199 [in Russian].
Bibliographic description according to ARA standard:
Last Name, F. (Year Published). Book Title. Publisher City: Publisher Name. Brown, D. (2004). The DaVinci code. New York: Scholastic [in English].
Last Name, F. (Year Published). Article Title. Journal name, Volume number, Page Numbers. Smith, J. (2009). Studies in pop rocks and Coke. Weird Science, 12, 78-93 [in English].
Last Name, First. «Page Title.» Website Title. Retrieved Date Accessed, from Web Address
Smith, J. (2009, January 21). Obama inaugurated as President. CNN.com. Retrieved February 1, 2009, from http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/01/21/obama_inaugurated/index.html [in English].
Special software – bibliographic managers – will help in storage and execution of references. In most cases, with their help you can quickly and correctly execute a bibliographic description for publication in any foreign publication in accordance with their requirements. These services include the following websites: http://www.bibme.org, http://www.zotero.org, http://www.mendeley.com, www.citethisforme.com and others.