The history of the emergence and the evolution of the development of the women's Basil monastery in Uzhgorod was considered. For centuries this monastery was the center of spirituality, education, science and art and was the cultural center of Uzhgorod. The history of the foundation of the monastery dates back to the first half of the seventeenth century, when a wooden monastery was erected. Subsequently, it was destroyed.
In 1785, Greek emigrants living in Uzhgorod acquired a plot of land for the construction of a Greek Orthodox church. During 1786-1787 the Greeks built a stone church with a high, steep tower. The church was decorated with fresco paintings and carved calendars. In the Greek church there were 3 bells, which were noted for excellent sound and artistic decoration. The Greek church was of great spiritual significance for the Uzhgorod Greeks.
With its silhouette, the church enriched the panorama of Uzhgorod.
In 1879, the Greek community, through a small number of parishioners, sold the church and church property.
On September 22, 1900, the Mukachevo Greek-Catholic Diocese acquired the church, parish building and land. After the fire in 1906, a decision was made by the bishop. Y. Firtsak about the complete reorganization of the temple and the foundation of the female Basilian monastery. In 1912, the Basilian convent was built in Uzhgorod, which was the first highest and most magnificent building of the prewar period.
The monastery is a five-storey building, built in a non-conformist style, is rectangular in terms of a corridor type with two-sided placement of premises. In the central part of the monastic corps there was a chapel that was allocated with its volume, plastic solution and completion. Monastery chapel, in the plan - hall type, covered with a dome and crowned with a deaf lantern. The main facade of the chapel is divided vertically into three parts by pilasters, resolved in the neo-Gothic style and completed by three narrow triangular gables. Much attention is drawn to the casually decorated chapel's arches. Adjacent to the chapel three-story monastic buildings complete terraces with hanging gardens. They are decorated with a balustrade with pointed tops, in the corners, giving the monastery structure of the palace appearance.
The monastic complex is organically inscribed in the landscape, occupying a dominant position over the environment. Forming the building of the street, the monastery is clearly distinguished by its scale, form and architecturally and artistic way.
Currently Uzhhorod State University operates in the monastery. The monastery building with the chapel was rebuilt to university teaching classrooms, leaving no evidence of a monastery
- Vavryk, M. 1958. 1958. By Basilian Monasteries. Toronto: Kanada; Vasyliyansʹki monastyri u Pidkarpat·sʹkiy Rusy, ark.119-122. TSDIA Ukrayiny u Lʹvovi.- Fond 364, Op.1, spr.147;
- Kobalʹ, Y.V. 2003. Uzhgorod is well-known and unknown. Lviv: the world. Lylʹo, I, 2006. Znayomstvo z Uzhhorodom. YI, 44.
- Syrokhman, M, 2000. Churches of Ukraine. Transcarpathia. Fundatsiya entsyklopediyi Ukrayiny. Toronto: «Ms», Lʹviv 2000. – S. 24-25;
- Filip, L, 2013. Academician of sacral art. Uzhgorod, [online] 12 (705). Available at: http://gazeta-uzhgorod.com/?p=2529 [Accessed October 2, 2018]