The article examines the history of the formation and development of the architecture of the monastery complexes on the territory of the Galician Podolia and defines socio-political factors that influenced this process. The information about the most significant monastery of Terebovlia region was introduced into scientific circulation.
The monasteries were founded in XI-XII centuries on the ethnic historical and geographical lands of Galicia, as well as most of the Ukrainian lands. The most significant centers of monasticism on this territory were the Carmelite’s monastery in Terebovlya and Basilian monastery in Pidgora Terebovlya district. The research of historians convincingly prove that buildings that today are architectural monuments of national significance, were built in the middle of the ХVІІ century on the site of earlier buildings. The monastery belonged to the various denominations, but both Catholic and Basilian monasterys in addition to sacral functions had a pronounced defensive function. The territory of the monastery was surrounded by strong walls with corner towers and battlements.
During the military action, that took place on the territory of the West Podolia, the buildings of monasteries were significantly affected. The restorations, which were carried out at the expense of local patrons, changed the appearance of the buildings. After the Division of Rzeczpospolita and the governments change, the valuables: organ, sculptures and ancient icons were mass taken out. The Basilian monastery ceased to exist at the time of the Austrian Government.
In Soviet times the monasteries were closed, the Carmelite monastery was used for other purposes, and the walls of the Basilian monastery were used as building materials.
In 1990, the surviving buildings of the monastery of the Carmelites were transferred to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church and were converted to the Church of St. Vladimir. To provide Catholic building Orthodox figure, the domes were built on the main faсade, dramatically changing the appearance. In the same time the parishioners of surrounding villages began renewal of church of Ugornickiy monastery. With the receipt of independence of Ukraine temples began the revival; however, monastic life did not recommence to them.
Thus, in the article for the first time investigated the history of the formation of the architecture of the monastery complexes on the territory of the Galician Podolia in the context of socio-political factors that influenced this process
- Hryhoruk, N., 2013, Policy of the Austro-Hungarian Republic concerning the Ukrainian question in Galicia at the end of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Naukovi zapysky Ternopilʹsʹkoho natsionalʹnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Volodymyra Hnatyuka. Seriya: Istoriya. - Ternopilʹ. Vyp. 1. - CH. 1., Ternopilʹ: Vyd-vo TNPU im. V. Hnatyuka, s.182-187.
- Isayevych, YA. D., 2009, Kingdom of the Galician and Lodomeria, Entsyklopediya istoriyi Ukrayiny: u 10 t., t.5. Kyyiv: Naukova dumka, s.172.
- Bazhan, M., 1967. History of Ukrainian Art, t. 2. Kyyiv: Naukova dumka s.86 - 87.
- Matsyuk, O., 1990. Defensive architecture of Ukraine.. Pamʺyatky Ukrayiny, 2. s.43 - 47.
- Zharkykh, M. (1975 - 2018) "Monastery of Podgorians'kyi. Grandfather glory Ukrainian Sights » [«Monastyr Pidhorianskyi. Pradidivska slava. Ukrainski pamʺiatky»], dostupno na: https://www.pslava.info/Terebovlja.
- Panyus, M., 2012, Socio-political situation in Galicia at the time of construction of the Austro-Hungarian railways.. Naukovi zapysky Ternopilʹsʹkoho natsionalʹnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Volodymyra Hnatyuka. Seriya: Istoriya, 2. Ternopilʹ: Vyd-vo TNPU im. V. Hnatyuka, s.18-23.
- Rychkov, P., 1990, Western Ukrainian cities - forts of the XVI - XVIII centuries. Pamyatky Ukrayiny, 2, s.20 - 22.
- Library (08.07.2016), «Terebovlya na istoryko-kulʹturniy mapi Ternopilʹshchyny» [«Terebovlia na istoryko-kulturnii mapi Ternopilshchyny»], dostupno na: http://irp.te.ua/terebovlya-na-istory-ko-kul-turnij-mapi-ternopil-shhy-ny .
- Chenʹ, L., 2008, Architecture of Ukrainian Basilian Monastic Complexes and Ensembles in the Context of Historical Development.. Problemy teoryy y ystoryy arkhytektury Ukrayny, 8. Odessa, s.184-187.
- Sharshatkina, S. , 2001, Defensive religious buildings. Terebovlia region: local history almanac calendar.. Ternopilʹ : Zbruch. s.147-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3820(01)00168-0