The article deals with the workshop Urban Density Lab Vienna, that took place in Vienna in 2016 with the participation of students and professors from the Technical University of Vienna (TUV), the Department of Urban Planning (Stӓdtebau), NU "Lviv Polytechnic" (NULP), the Department of Urban Development and Architectural Design, the University of Los Andes In Bogotá (Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá). Workshop as a part of the design course of urban planning is an effective tool of the intensive designing process. During the workshop time in groups of 4 students are made proposals for two different sites.
Main goals of workshop Urban Density Lab Vienna were to create a proposal of a new urban quarter with a density correlated with an existing surrounding. To design a quality living environment, scalable to surrounding neighbourhoods and on a human scale. Students should take into account the features of the degraded sites (two for choose), the character and density type of the existing urban environment, and the planning trends of the city of Vienna.
In the Urban Density Lab Vienna workshop, both sites were associated with transport: one was located directly next to the metro line, the second - on the site of the old and already unused railway tracks and freight railway station. One plot was free of constructions and buildings, located among the neighbourhoods of residential and office buildings. The character of the surrounding buildings - the average floors. On the second plot were preserved one-story hangar houses of the old railway station. Therefore, an important task of the workshop was to take into account the existing atmosphere of the site and offer a scenario of behaviour with it.
- Kashchenko T., 2012 Workshop as a creative method in achivment of sustainable architecture goals - Dallʺex tempore al workshop. Esperienze di ricerca e progetto, Roma: Gangemi editore, p. 82-86.
- Kryvoruchko O., 2015, Metody pozhvavlennya hromadsʹkoho prostoru na prykladi vorkshopu z revitalizatsiyi ploshchi Mytnoyi u Lʹvovi, Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 816, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 125-132.
- Sosnova N., Tupisʹ S. 2015, Problemy mistobudivnoho rozvytku malykh mist (na prykladi m. Tyacheva ta smt Burshtyna Zakarpat·sʹkoyi oblasti), Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 836, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 144-150.
- Cherkes B., Petryshyn H., 2010, "Formuvannya dyzaynu u Lʹvivsʹkiy arkhitekturniy shkoli", Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 674, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 144-150.
- Shvetsʹ I., Petrenko A., 2016, Mizhnarodni proekty DVNZ PDABA, Novyny inzhenernoyi nauky Prydniprov'ya, Dnipropetrovsʹk, s. 71-72.