The article describes the design methodology and appropriateness of architectural workshops for student learning and their involvement in participatory planning. As an example, given an architectural workshop that took place in September 2016 in the village Sergiivka, Odessa region at International urban forum "Area for development. Beach and city" with the participation of students and tutors from Odesa, Lviv, Dnipro, Kharkiv and Kyiv.
The task of the workshop was the elaboration of proposals for the design of three sites: urban linear park, bridge between land and sea spit, sea spit. Because the participants were about 60 people, where formed six teams, two for each site. Half of the teams focused on short-term measures, the other – on the long-term measures, so each site have got two developed proposals. The objectives of workshop were: to revive abandoned urban areas, to return them to seasonal users and local residents, to restore their role in the structure of the city, to propose the following development of the sites for short and long term.
The feature of this workshop was a collaboration in the project an architectural students with a project managers, which have focused at work on SWOT-analysis and practical tools of realization of the project, it was also counted preliminary budget of implementation and risk-calculation for each project.
Workshop in design practice usually used as a method of rapid conceptual designing, which involves the collection of baseline data on the site, a survey of residents and users, identify problems and potentials of the site, processing preliminary suggestions and ideas, a gathering of the list of measures for its implementation, presentation for public and media, residents and users of the studied area, discussions and consideration of proposals. Workshop is an effective tool for community involvement and consideration of its interests, and to unite all stakeholders for solving the investigated problem.
Workshop as a method of designing is characterized with high intensity. In addition, the workshop is a good tool for participatory planning, as well as attracting residents and users and takes into account their wishes at the first design phase and involves representatives of local authorities that have impact on the design area.
The results of workshop can be tried and tested solutions - measures on a specific territory and visually submitted preliminary versions of the project design (conceptual design multiple-choice decision).
The idea of the project in the revival of an abandoned pedestrian mall, lost in the thickets of the city, through its thematic content, increase the range of social communication and creating positive scenarios recreation.
The architectural workshop in the village Sergiivka, Odessa proposed interesting solutions for the town: the reviving an abandoned pedestrian alley, lost in the town through its thematic content, increase the range of social communication and creating positive scenarios for recreation. Next proposals: to interest users in different age and with different needs, to create convenient conditions for disabled and elderly users. This can be achieved through right functional zoning of area, reconstruction of abandoned green spaces and restore their values, the new use of abandoned buildings. New landscaping for the alley include enrichment means with a program of activities for year round use for townspeople and guests.
- Kashchenko T., 2012 Workshop as a creative method in achivment of sustainable architecture goals - Dallʺex tempore al workshop. Esperienze di ricerca e progetto, Roma: Gangemi editore, p. 82-86.
- Kryvoruchko O., 2015, Metody pozhvavlennya hromadsʹkoho prostoru na prykladi vorkshopu z revitalizatsiyi ploshchi Mytnoyi u Lʹvovi, Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 816, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 125-132.
- Sosnova N., Tupisʹ S. 2015, Problemy mistobudivnoho rozvytku malykh mist (na prykladi m. Tyacheva ta smt Burshtyna Zakarpat·sʹkoyi oblasti), Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 836, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 144-150.
- Cherkes B., Petryshyn H., 2010, "Formuvannya dyzaynu u Lʹvivsʹkiy arkhitekturniy shkoli", Visnyk Natsionalʹnoho universytetu "Lʹvivsʹka politekhnika". Seriya: Arkhitektura: zbirnyk naukovykh pratsʹ, № 674, Lʹviv: Vyd-vo NULP, s. 144-150.
- Shvetsʹ I., Petrenko A., 2016, Mizhnarodni proekty DVNZ PDABA, Novyny inzhenernoyi nauky Prydniprov'ya, Dnipropetrovsʹk, s. 71-72.