Modern hydrogel healing therapies for damaged human skin, must perform a number of functions which are inherent for the skin: 1) preservation of thermal and water balance; 2) ensuring of oxygen penetration; 3) providing transportation of substances necessary for the functioning of the organism; 4) protection from mechanical damage. When using hydrogel coatings on damaged areas of the skin, they must perform, an additional function - prolonged delivery to the wound of therapeutic agents of various nature.
The main disadvantage of hydrogel transdermal applications for drug delivery, that prevents their widespread introduction is, on the one hand, the complexity of filling hydrogels with lipophilic compounds, which in most cases are medicine, and, on the other hand, decelerated release of drugs from hydrogel.
In this paper, for creation of transdermal therapeutic systems are used combined hydrogels, derived from acrylamide copolymers and gelatin. The investigation of sorption and desorption of medicines by combined hydrogels in comparison with the homopolymeric polyacrylamide system has been carried out, since these parameters are an important characteristic for assessing the effectiveness of hydrogels in medicine.
According to the studies of the novocaine and lidocaine sorption, it has been shown that the rate of sorption depends on the structure and the presence of functional groups in the structure of absorbed substances.
The research of medicinal preparations desorption from the polymer matrix of combined hydrogels showed that the release of these compounds occurs gradually, which ensures the long-term delivery of medicinal products. The maximum release of lidocaine is 70-80% from its initial content in hydrogel and occurs in 24 hours. During this time, release of novocaine is only 30-35%, and this deceleration is associated with the presence in its structure of the primary amino group which can react with free methylol groups of poly-N- (hydroxymethyl) acrylamide, thereby slowing the release of the medicine.
Consequently, new combined polyacrylamide gelatinous hydrogels are suitable for the use as transdermal delivery systems for medicinal preparations.
1. Chai, Q., Jiao, Y, Yu, X.. (2017). Hydrogels for biomedical applications: their characteristics and the mechanisms behind them. Gels, 3(6), 1-15.
2. Hennink, W., Van Nostrum, C. (2012). Novel crosslinking methods to design hydrogels. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 64, 223-236.
3. Seliktar, D. (2012). Designing cell-compatible hydrogels for biomedical applications. Science, 336 (6085), 1124-1128.
4. Hamidi, M., Azadi, A., Rafiei, P. (2008). Hydrogel nanoparticles in drug delivery. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 60, 1638-1649.
5. Vasilev, A. E., Krasnyuk, I. I., Ravikumar, S. (2001). Transdermalnyie terapevticheskie sistemyi dostavki lekarstvennyih veschestv. Himiko-farmatsevticheskiy zhurnal, 35(11), 29-42.
6. Samchenko, Yu. M., Pasmurtseva, N. A., Ulberg Z. R. (2007). Diffuziya lekarstvennyih preparatov iz gidrogelevyih nanoreaktorov. Dopovidi NAN Ukrayini, 6, 143-148.
7. Sekine, Y., Moritani, Y., Fukazawa, T. I., Sasaki, Y., Akiyoshi, K. (2012). A hybrid hydrogel biomaterial by nanogel engineering: bottom-up design with nanogel and liposome building blocks to develop a multidrug delivery system. Advanced healthcare materials, 1(6), 722-728.
8. Wen Zhao, Jin Xing, Cong Yang, Liu Yuying, Fu Jun. (2013). Degradable natural polymer hydrogels for articular cartilage tissue engineering. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 88(3), 327-339.
9. Naahidi, S., Jafari, M., Logan, M., Wang, Y., Yuan, Y., Bae, H.,. Dixon, B, Chen, P. (2017). Biocompatibility of hydrogel-based scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Biotechnology Advаnces, 35(5), 530-544.
10. J. Tavakoli, Y. Tang Honey. (2017). PVA hybrid wound dressings with controlled release of antibiotics: Structural, physico-mechanical and in vitro biomedical studies. Materials Science and Engineering, 77, 318-325.
11. J. Ramshaw, J. Werkmeister, V. Glatteur. (1995). Collagen based biomaterials. Biotechnol. Rev.,13, 336-382.
12. Amir K. Miri, Hossein Goodarzi, Berivan Cecen, Shabir Hassan, Yu Shrike Zhang. (2018). Permeability mapping of gelatin methacryloyl hydrogels. Acta Biomaterialia,77, 38-47.
13. Nosova, N. G., Samarik, V. Yа., Varvarenko, S. M., Ferens, M. V., Voronovska, A. V., Nagornyak, M. І., Homyak, S. V., Nadashkevich, Z. Yа., Voronov, S. A. (2016). Polyacrylamide porous hydrogels - preparation and properties Voprosyi himii i himicheskoy tehnologiі, 5-6, 78-86.
14. Lavrova, I.S. (1983). Praktikum po kolloidnoy himii. Moscow., Vyisshaya shkola.
15. Samchenko, Yu. M., Pasmurtseva, N. A., Ulberg, Z. R. (2010). Primenenie uf-spektroskopii dlya izucheniya diffuzii lekarstvennyih soedineniy iz gidrogeley meditsinskogo. Jurnal hromatografіchnogo tovaristva,10(1), 4-24.