In the present paper the sorption of petroleum substances such as diesel fuels on zeolite beds was investigated. A natural occurring zeolite clinoptilolite, and mixtures of clinoptilolite and synthetic zeolites Na-P1 and Na-X type, in the ratio 3:1, were used in this study. Natural zeolite acquired from the mine tuffs in Sokyrnytsya (Ukraine). In order to obtain synthetic zeolites, F-class fly ash (Kozienice Power Plant, Poland) with sodium hydroxide was used and later it underwent the hydrothermal conversion. Two commonly used diesel fuels were chosen for this study; namely Verva On and Biodiesel. The zeolites were characterized with the use of X-ray fluorescence (XRF), scanning electron microscope (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and N2 adsorption/desorption isotherm. The results indicated that clinoptilolite could constitute a good sorbent for petroleum substances removal. Moreover, the addition of synthetic zeolites improved the sorption capacity of the zeolite beds. In this study, when 25% of synthetic zeolite was added to the clinoptilolite bed, the sorption capacity increased approximately two times.
1. Adebajo M.O., Frost R.L., Kloprogge J.T., Carmody O., Kokot S. (2003) Porous Materials for Oil Spill Cleanup: A review of Synthesis and Absorbing Properties. Journal of Porous Materials 10, 159-170.
2 Aguilera F., Mйndez J., Pбsaroa E., LaffonaB. (2010) Review on the effects of exposure to spilled oils on human health. Journal of Applied Toxigology 30, 291-301.
3. Aguilera, F., Mйndez, J., Pбsaroa, E., Laffona, B. (2010) Review on the effects of exposure to spilled oils on human health. Journal of Applied Toxigology 30, 291-301.
4. Alonso-Alvarez, C., Pйrez C., Velando A. (2007) Effects of acute exposure to heavy fuel oil from the Prestige spill on a seabird. Aquatic Toxicology 84, 103-110.
5. Barrett, E.P., Joyner, L.G., Halenda, P.P. (1951) The determination of pore volume and area distributions in porous substances. I. Computations from nitrogen isotherms. Journal of the American Chemical Society 73, 373-380.
6. Carmody O., Frost R., Xi Y., Kokot S. (2008) Selected adsorbent materials for oil-spill cleanup. A thermoanalytical study. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 91 (3) 809-816.
7. Chaіupnik, S., Franus, W., Wysocka, M., Gzyl, G. (2013) Application of zeolites for radium removal from mine water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 20, 7900-7906, DOI 10.1007/s11356-013-1877-5.
8. DIN 53453:1975-05, Testing of Plastics; Impact Flexural
9. Franus, W., (2012) Characterization of X-type zeolite prepared from coal fly ash. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 21, 337-343.
10. Franus, W., Wdowin, M. (2010) Removal of ammonium ions by selected natural and synthetic zeolites. Mineral Resources Management 26,
11. IUPAC Reporting Physicosorption Data, Pure Applied Chemistry 57, 603 (1976), 66 (1994) 1739.
12. Kingston P.F., (2002) Long-term Environmental Impact of Oil Spills. Spill Science and Technology Bulletin 7, 53-61.
13. Kubu M., Opasenko M., Shamzy M. (2014) Modification of textural and acidic properties of -SVR zeolite by desilication. Catalysis Today 227, 26-32.
14. Leofanti G., Padovan M., Tozzola G., Venturelli B. (1998) Surface area and pore texture of catalysts. Catalysis Today, 41 207-219.
15. Misaelides, P. (2011) Application of natural zeolites in environmental remediation: A short review. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 144, 15-18.
16. Pastewski S., Czacharowski P., Mкdrzycka K. Usuwanie hydrofobowych zanieczyszczeс ropopochodnych z gleby metod№ odmwania za pomoc№ roztworуw zwi№zkуw powierzchniowo czynnych. Polska Inїynieria Њrodowiska piкж lat po wst№pieniu do Unii Europejskiej, red. J. Ozonek, M. Pawіowska. - Lublin, Monografie Polskiej Akademii Nauk Komitet Inїynierii Њrodowiska, 2009, T.1, 58, 183-189.
17. Shneider P. (1995) Adsorption isotherms of microporous-mesoporous solids revisited. Applied Catalysis A: General 129 157-165.
18. Treacy, M.M.J., Higgins J.B., Collection of Simulated XRD Powder Patterns for Zeolites. Str. Comm. IZA, 5th Revised Edition, Elsevier, London, 2001.
19. Wahi R., Chuah L.A., Choong T.S.J., Ngaini Z. (2013) Oil removal from aqueous state by natural fibrous sorbent: An overview. Separation and Purification Technology 113, 51-63.
20. Wang J., Zheng Y., Wang A. (2012) Effect of kapok fiber treated with various solvents on oil absorbency. Industrial Crops and Products 40, 178-184.