Stability of operation and development of enterprises to a large extent is due to their
business activity, which depends on the breadth of markets for product sales, business
reputation, level of resource efficiency, active innovation policy, etc. The quality and
correctness of its analysis play a decisive role in making decisions on increasing business
activity; accordingly, the relevance of improving its methodology is increasing.
Business activity research is carried out at the rates of growth of such general indicators of
economic activity: the volume of assets (amount of capital invested in the activity of the enterprise),
the volume of sold products (goods, works, services), net profit. One of the indicators of business
activity of enterprises is a certain tendency to increase the general indicators of their economic
activity. Thus, a steady trend towards an increase in the rates indicates a high level of business
activity; unstable dynamics of the rates – average level; steady negative tendency to decrease the
rates – low level. It is advisable to analyze such business activity not only for a certain enterprise,
but also for Ukraine’s economy, its sectors or activities.
Analysis of growth rates of the volume of sold products (goods, works, services), assets
and net profit showed that trends of these indicators for 2009–2016 coincide for the economy of
Ukraine, one of its most important sectors – industry and mechanical engineering as an
industry. It is established that dynamics of such general indicators has a wave-like character:
the decline in 2009, the growth in 2010–2011, the decline in 2012–2014 and the gradual growth
Dynamics research of the volume of sold products (goods, works, services) and assets
showed that one of the reasons for the low growth rates of sales is the accumulation of
technological backwardness and outdated production capacity (over the last 15 years, the level
of fixed assets has increased from 43,7 % in 2001 to 83,5 % in 2015).
Analysis of financial results of enterprises showed a negative tendency, in particular, the
number of unprofitable enterprises is decreasing, but their amount of losses significantly
exceeds the profits of profitable enterprises (by the results of 2015 – by 2.1 times, and in 2014 –
almost 4 times).
Research of the ratio of growth rates for general indicators of economic activity of
Ukrainian enterprises made it possible to determine fluctuations in the level of business
activity during 2009–2015 and the reasons for deviations from the optimal ratio. It can be
noted that level of business activity both for Ukrainian economy and machine building can be
considered lower than average, and for industry – the average.
Key words: business activity, economic dynamics, «golden rule of the economy», machine
building, industry, national economy.
1. World economic outlook: April 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2016/01/pdf/text.pdf
2. Bazilyuk Ya. B., Davydenko S. V., Ventskovsky D. Yu. (2017) Economic security of Ukraine in the conditions of hybrid aggression: analytical report K.: NISS, - 84.
3. Timoshik N. S., Shimich I. G. (2017) Evaluation of the results of the macro environment and business activity of enterprises. Trends in the development of marketing in the conditions of economic transformations: a monograph, FOP Shpak VB. 205-214.
4. Tarasiuk H. M., Protasova L. V. (2016) Assessment of enterprise development: theoretical and practical aspects. Scientific works of NUKHT. - K.: NUKHT. No. 3. Volume 22. 132-139.
5. Kulyniak I.Y. (2016) Multi-level comparison of the status and development of Ukrainian small enterprises. Economic space: Collection of scientific works. Dnipropetrovsk: PDABA. No. 105. 78-88.
6. Andrushkiv B. M., Melnyk L. M., Pohaydak O. B. (2016) Innovative formation means of the sustainable development evaluation conceptin the system of: company-industry-region-state (european integration aspects). Ukrainian Journal of Applied Economics. Volume 1. No. 2. 6-17.
7. Kalinescu T. V., Shvedchikov O. A. (2013) Providing of Sustainable Development of Industrial Enterprises Using Reflexive Approach . Innovative Economics. No. 1. 73-77.
8. Grinkevich O. S., Kindratska H. I. (2010) Information-analytical support for management of business activity of the enterprise. Economic Analysis. Issue 6. 215-218.
9. Kindratska H. I. Sustainability of the enterprise: dialectics statics and dynamics. Bulletin of the Lviv Polytechnic National University. Management and Entrepreneurship in Ukraine: Stages of Development and Development Issues. Lviv. No. 797. 235-241.
10. Bilyk M. D., Pavlovskaya O. V., Pritulyak N. M. (2005) Financial analysis. Educational manual K.: KNEU. 592.
11. Pyrozhkov S. I., Mayboroda A. M., Shajgorodsky J. Zh. (2016) Ukraine's Civilizational Choice: An Ideal Paradigm and Action Strategy: National Report. Institute of Political and Ethnonational Studies of I. F. Kuras National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 284.
12. Higgins R. S. (2007) Financial analysis: tools for making business decisions, 464.
13. State Statistics Service of Ukraine Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
14. Analytical report to the Annual Address of the President of Ukraine to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine «On the Internal and External Situation of Ukraine in 2017». (2017), K.:NISS, 928.