Analyzing the state of business environment of Ukraine in comparison with other countries (according to Doing Business 2020 rating) revealed positive tendencies of its development. Ukraine ranks 64th out of 190 countries, which is 7 positions above 2019’s rating and 12 above 2018’s. State initiatives on environment and infrastructure development are analyzed, and the lack of a clear strategy in conditions of european integration and sufficient support for one of the most important and profitable branches of Ukrainian business – agro-industry, which is a basis for enhancing the country’s export potential, is detected.
The results of the Ukrainian agricultural trade in recent years are analyzed. In 2019 the industry’s share in exports was about 44 %. Exports of agricultural products from Ukraine amounted to $22.2 billion, which is 19 % more than in 2018 with such key products as corn, sunflower oil, wheat and rapeseed.
The EU’s significance as the key trading partner of Ukraine is ascertained. The establishment of the DCFTA in the framework of EU-Ukraine Association agreement will enable activation of agricultural export to the EU in the coming years, and a special program for competitiveness of small and medium enterprises (COSME) can help Ukrainian firms in their development and exporting.
The key challenges for the Ukrainian agro-industrial complex in 2020 are outlined: tensions in trade relations between the US and their largest partners, further complicating world agricultural trade; Brexit and its effects on the EU market; revitalization of regional and bilateral trade agreements against the background of WTO weakening; consumer megatrends (healthy eating, veganism, plant- based alternatives to animal protein in developed countries, and, instead, increasing consumption of animal protein in Africa and China); climate change and weather fluctuations, which are increasingly affecting the production and marketing of agricultural products; new principles of the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and the threat of environmental protectionism.
Two of the best in our opinion ways of development of the Ukrainian agriculture industry are proposed: the production of eco-products, which is gaining increasing popularity every year and is extremely profitable, as well as the creation of a service station for agricultural machinery maintenance.
- Pysarenko S. (2018). Vplyv yevrointehratsii na konkurentospromozhnist natsionalnoi ekonomiky Ukrainy [Impact of European integration on the competitiveness of Ukraine's national economy]. Visnyk Lvivskoho Universytetu. Seriia “Mizhnarodni Vidnosyny”, No. 45, 254–263 (in Ukrainian).
- Zhyhalkevych Zh. M., Stanislavskyi O. V. (2019). Osoblyvosti zovnishnoekonomichnoi diialnosti vitchyznianykh pidpryiemstv v umovakh yevrointehratsii [Features of foreign economic activity of domestic enterprises in the context of European integration]. Ekonomichnyi visnyk NTUU “KPI”, No. 16, 116–123 (in Ukrainian).
- Karp V. S. (2018). Vyklyky i zahrozy u suchasnomu mizhnarodnomu biznesi [Challenges and threats in today's international business]. Mizhnarodni vidnosyny. Seriia “Ekonomichni nauky”, No. 12. Retrieved from: http://journals.iir.kiev.ua/index.php/ec_n/article/view/3674 (in Ukrainian).
- Horbal N. I., Hresko V. V., Hudyma R. V. (2019). Tendentsii ta perspektyvy rozvytku ukrainskoho eksportu [Trends and prospects for development of Ukrainian exports]. Biznes Inform, No. 1, 73–78 (in Ukrainian).
- Bozhydai I. I. (2019). Ahropromyslovyi kompleks Ukrainy: struktura ta osnovni poniattia [Agroindustrial complex of Ukraine: structure and basic concepts]. Ahrosvit, No. 21, 107–113 (in Ukrainian). https://doi.org/10.32702/2306-6792.2019.21.107
- Romanyshyn S. B., Martyniuk I. I., Horbal N. I. (2016). Intehratsiini protsesy u rozvytku dribnotovarnoho silskohospodarskoho vyrobnytstva Ukrainy: monohrafiia [Integration processes in the development of small-scale agricultural production in Ukraine: monograph]. Lviv: Rastr-7. 176 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Shestakova P. Iu., Ozhelevska T. S. (2018). Ahrarnyi rynok Ukrainy v umovakh yevrointehratsii [The agrarian market of Ukraine in conditions of European integration]. Molodyi vchenyi, No. 3(2), 720–722 (in Ukrainian).
- Lupenko Yu. O., Patyka N. I. (2019) Rol innovatsii u zabezpechenni konkurentospromozhnosti Ukrainy na svitovykh rynkakh silskohospodarskoi produktsii [The role of innovation in ensuring Ukraine's competitiveness in the world agricultural markets]. Ahrosvit, No. 11, 16–23 (in Ukrainian). https://doi.org/10.32702/2306-6792.2019.11.16
- Doing Business 2020. World Bank. Retrieved from: https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/reports/global- reports/doing-business-2020.
- Obukh V., Polishchuk O. (2019). Reitynh Doing Business: shcho robyty, shchob nareshti obihnaty Bilorus? [Doing Business Rating: what to do to finally overtake Belarus?]. Ukrinform. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-economy/2805261-rejting-doing-business-so-robiti-sob-naresti-obignati- bilorus.html (in Ukrainian).
- Doing Business-2020. Zavdiaky chomu Ukraina pidnialasia v reitynhu na 64 skhodynku. Spilka ukrainskykh pidpryiemtsiv [Why did Ukraine climbe 64 steps in the rating]. Ekonomichna pravda. Retrieved from https://www.epravda.com.ua/rus/publications/2019/10/24/652929/ (in Ukrainian).
- 77 % CEO ochikuiut na pozytyvnyi rozvytok biznesu v 2020 rotsi [77 % of CEOs expect positive business development in 2020]. European Business Association. Retrieved from https://eba.com.ua/77-ceo-ochikuyut-na- pozytyvnyj-rozvytok-biznesu-v-2020-rotsi/ (in Ukrainian).
- Tovarna struktura zovnishnoi torhivli u 2019 rotsi [Commodity structure of foreign trade in 2019]. Ukrstat. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2019/zd/tsztt/tsztt_u/tsztt1219_u.htm (in Ukrainian).
- Lavnykevych D. (2019). Bez rulia, no s parusami. Pochemu ukraynskim ahraryiam nuzhna khotia by odna vmeniaemaia hosprohramma [No steering, but with sails. Why Ukrainian agrarians need at least one reasonable state program]. Retrieved from https://www.dsnews.ua/agro/bez-rulya-no-s-parusami-pochemu-ukrainskim-agrariyam- nuzhna-18062019110000 (in Russian).
- Biudzhet 2020 peredbachaie finansuvannia ahrariiv za simoma napriamamy, – Minekonomiky. [Budget 2020 provides for financing of farmers in seven directions – the Ministry of Economy]. AgroPolit. Retrieved from https://agropolit.com/news/14077-byudjet-2020-peredbachaye-finansuvannya-agrariyiv-za-simoma-napryamkami-- minregionrozvitku (in Ukrainian).
- $22,2 mlrd. Eksport ahrarnoi produktsii z Ukrainy za rik zris na 19 %. [$22.2 billion. Export of agricultural products from Ukraine increased by 19 % over the year]. NV. Retrieved from https://nv.ua/ukr/biz/markets/agrarniy- eksport-ukrajina-zbilshila-prodazh-produkciji-apk-na-19-za-rik-novini-ukrajini-50068352.html (in Ukrainian).
- Tkachuk A. (2019). Nazvano TOP-5 kraini-importeriv kharchovoi produktsii v Ukrainu [TOP-5 food importing countries in Ukraine were named]. Ukrainski Natsionalni Novyny. Retrieved from https://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1784329-nazvano-top-5-krayini-importeriv-kharchovoyi-produktsiyi-v-ukrayinu (in Ukrainian).
- СOSME. European Commission. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/easme/en/cosme-0.
- Ruda M. V., Horbal N. I., Ilnytskyi V. S. (2018). COSME: rozvytok i pidvyshchennia konkurentospromozhnosti ukrainskykh pidpryiemstv na rynkakh YeS [COSME: development and enhancement of competitiveness of Ukrainian enterprises in the EU markets]. Biznes Inform, 3, 252–258 (in Ukrainian).
- Trofimtseva O. (2019). Ukraina-2020: hlobalni vyklyky, yevropeiskyi vektor ta rozumna ahrarna polityka [Ukraine 2020: Global Challenges, the European Vector and Reasonable Agrarian Policy]. AgroPortal. Retrieved from: https://agroportal.ua/ua/views/blogs/ukraina2020-globalnye-vyzovy-evropeiskii-vektor-i-razumnaya-agrarnaya- politika/ (in Ukrainian).
- Orhanichna Ukraina v infohrafitsi (2019). [Organic Ukraine in infographics]. AgroPortal. Retrieved from: https://agroportal.ua/ua/publishing/infografika/organicheskaya-ukraina-v-infografike/