The problem of quality performance by employees of their duties always arises before managers of different enterprises. Sometimes this problem is solved at certain stages in the life cycle of companies, but work of motivating of staff is continuing constantly. Today, a variety of employee motivation techniques are available, based on a number of theories. But the needs of employees are increasing, changing, priorities and emphasis are shifting, so long-term using of similar approaches is ineffective. It is much more difficult to motivate government officials, where changes in incentives should be clearly regulated. One of these structures is the State Customs Service of Ukraine, which is undergoing reform. The formation of a new customs office can not be without changes in the approaches to employee motivation.
In order for the customs authorities to successfully fulfill their duties, they must have sufficient motivation. However, to date, the system of customs officials motivation in Ukraine is imperfect and needs immediate changes, which leads to the relevance of the topic.
The dominant purpose of this paper is to determine the characteristics of the motivation of customs authorities and to provide theoretical recommendations to increase their level of motivation to improve work activity.
The article thoroughly analyzes the instruments of motivation of customs officers, describes the main types of tangible and intangible incentives that are applied to customs officials and the procedure for their application. It also identifies tools for demotivation as important components of human resource management and provides recommendations for improving the motivation system to increase the motivation of customs officers and increase their employment.
According to the results of the research, it can be concluded that the system of motivation of customs authorities is quite wide, since tangible and intangible incentives for work are actively used, as well as the process of employee demotivation. However, at the same time, this system is imperfect, since very little attention is paid to the self-development of workers, the realization of their creative abilities and personal qualities. Employees should be given the opportunity to learn, progress, encourage and develop their creative potential. This can be done through special training seminars, advanced training courses, using sports hours, team building etc. Forms and pay systems should also be reviewed.
- Verbytska H. L. (2012). Motyvuvannia personalu na vitchyznianykh promyslovykh pidpryiemstvakh [Motivation of personnel at domestic industrial enterprises]. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu “Lvivska politekhnika” [Bulletin of the National University “Lviv Polytechnic”] No. 727, 10–15.
- Doronina M. S., Sasina L. O., Luhova V. M., & Nadon H. M. (2010). Mekhanizm motyvatsii upravlinskoho personalu [The mechanism of management’s motivation]. Kharkiv, Ukraine: AdvAtm.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2005). The Law of Ukraine “On the Disciplinary Statute of the Customs Service of Ukraine.
- Kolot A. M. (2005). Motyvatsiia personalu [Motivation of staff], KNEU, Kyiv, Ukraina
- Kuzmin O. Ye., & Melnyk O. G. (2003). Osnovy menedzhmentu. [Fundamentals of Management], Kyiv: Akademvydav, 416 p.
- Customs Code of Ukraine available at: http://zakon4.rada. gov.ua/laws/show/4495-6
- State Customs Service of Ukraine (2008). Order “On Approval of the Regulation on Awarding Officials and Employees of the Customs Service of Ukraine”.
- State Customs Service of Ukraine (2006). Order “On Approval of the Regulations on Departmental Incentives”.
- Ovsiuk N. V. (2014). Motyvatsiia ta stymuliuvannia pratsi: sutnist' poniat' ta vidobrazhennia ikh obliku [Motivation and stimulation of work: the nature of concepts and reflect their accounting]. Innovatsijna ekonomika. No. 53, 314–318.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2012). Resolution “Some Issues of Remuneration of Customs Service Employees”.
- Pryimachenko D. V. (2006). Mytna polityka derzhavy ta yii realizatsiia mytnymy orhanamy [Customs policy of the state and its realization by the customs authorities], Akademiia mytnoi sluzhby Ukrainy, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine.
- Tkachova O. K. and Hovorukha V. B. (2011). Napriamy vdoskonalennia derzhavnoho upravlinnia mytnymy orhanamy [Areas of improvement of public administration of customs authorities], Visnyk Akademii mytnoi sluzhby Ukrainy. Ser. : Derzhavne upravlinnia. [Bulletin of the Academy of Customs Service of Ukraine. Avg.: Governance] No. 2, 110–119.
- Presidential Decree (1997). “On the Regulations on the State Customs Service of Ukraine”.
- Yakymenko K. P. (2016). Motyvatsiia yak metod pidvyshchennia efektyvnosti pratsi v orhanakh derzhavnoi vlady v Ukraini [Motivation as a Method of Increasing Labor Efficiency in Public Authorities in Ukraine] Ekonomika i orhanizatsiia upravlinnia [Economics and management organization]. Vyp. 4 (24), 406–411.