In the XXI century we re-evaluate the role of human capital, education, science and the knowledge factor in the development of enterprises, regions and countries, as well as the enhancement of the economy / country competitiveness. These factors actualize the problem of defining the concept of “competitiveness of the country”, taking into account all those new meaningful characteristics that it has acquired in recent years within the framework of modern economic science.
In recent years, this concept has become widely used and popular. Many foreign and Ukrainian scientists are actively working on its development.
Providing competitiveness is a dynamic process that involves creating and maintaining competitive advantages that are designed to ensure a sustainable position with respect to other economic entities.
The purpose of the article is to explore the global competitiveness of Ukraine using different approaches in order to enhance it. Objectives of the article: analyzing the concept of the country’s competitiveness, evaluating the leading methods for determining the global competitiveness, highlighting Ukraine’s position.
“Сountry competitiveness” is defined as conditioned by the international division of labor, national conditions and factors of production, the ability of its goods and services to compete effectively in world markets, its status in these markets. The countries’ competitiveness are assessed by various international organizations. Unfortunately, the relatively low competitiveness of Ukraine according to GCI indices and World Competitiveness Yearbook in recent years was stated, even compared with its nearest neighbors.
To improve the country competitiveness, it is necessary: to build an economy that is less dependent on external and internal shocks; to be flexible at the level of the country, industries, enterprises and individuals; to create innovative ecosystems; to profess human-centered approach to economic development, etc.
- Kuz`min O.Ye., Horbal` N.I. Upravlinnya mizhnarodnoyu konkurentospromozhnistyu pidpry`yemstva: pidruchny`k [Management of international competitiveness of a firm]. – L`viv: Kompakt-LV, 2005. – 304 s. (in Ukrainian).
- Pronkina L.I., Gavry`sh O.M. Cuchasni problemy` konkurentospromozhnosti derzhavy`[Modern problems of country’s competitiveness] / Agrosvit. – 2019. – № 7. – S. 32–36. (in Ukrainian).
- Okara D. V. Doslidzhennya rozvy`tku Ukrayiny` na pidstavi indeksu global`noyi konkurentospromozhnosti [Research of the development of Ukraine on the basis of the Global Competitiveness Index] / Global`ni ta nacional`ni problemy` ekonomiky`. – My`kolayiv, 2018. – Vy`p. 22. – S. 84-90. (in Ukrainian).
- Tarnavs`ka N.P. Upravlinnya konkurentospromozhnistyu pidpry`yemstva: teoriya, metodologiya, prakty`ka [Enterprise competitiveness management: theory, methodology, practice]. – Ternopil`: Ekonomichna dumka, 2008. – 570 s. (in Ukrainian).
- The Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018. URL: http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness- report-2018/country-economy-profiles/#economy=UKR.
- Chy` bula peremoga? Yak Ukrayini vdalosya vy`rosty` v rejty`ngu konkurentospromozhnosti [Was it a victory? How Ukraine managed to grow in the competitiveness rating]. URL: https://www.epravda.com.ua/publications/2018/10/17/641672. (in Ukrainian).
- Ukrayina pidnyalasya v rejty`ngu global`noyi konkurentospromozhnosti [Ukraine has risen in the ranking of global competitiveness]. URL: https://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2018/10/17/641667/. (in Ukrainian).
- Porter M. Building the Microeconomic Foundations of Prosperity: Findings from the Business Competitiveness Index. URL: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.372.2547&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- IMD World Competitiveness Rankings 2019 Results. URL: https://www.imd.org/wcc/world-competitiveness- center-rankings/world-competitiveness-ranking-2019.