Investments play a significant role in the development of any country's economy. For the country, investment creates the following positive effects: modernization of production facilities and processes; increase in production volumes; increased competition; infrastructure development, etc.
The purpose of the article is to analyze the structure of international investments in Ukraine and to form perspective directions for investing in the Ukrainian economy.
Convenient geographical location, relatively cheap labor force, significant agricultural and raw materials resources contribute to attracting foreign investment to Ukraine. The current state, structure and dynamics of investment activity in Ukraine are analyzed, the main sources of foreign investment inflow are identified, causes of volatility of foreign investments are determined, perspective directions of investment in the Ukrainian economy are determined.
According to the State Statistics Committee of Ukraine, the largest share of foreign investments goes to industry, financial and insurance activities, wholesale and retail trade, real estate operations.
The war has a significant negative impact on investment flows to Ukraine as a whole. The largest decline in investment in Ukraine occurred in 2015, after the outbreak of the armed conflict. However, in the following years there was no significant increase in investments due to the unstable political and economic situation.
Corruption, lack of trust to the judiciary system, unpredictable exchange rates, volatile economic and political situations also cause a reduction in investment flows. But despite this, there are a number of businesses in Ukraine with high potential for investors. First of all, it is the agro-industrial complex, as well as production of agricultural machinery, aviation, alternative energy, information technologies.
Although there has been a decline in foreign investment into Ukraine, the prospects for their development in general – are encouraging. In order to intensify foreign investment, in addition to the cessation of the war in the Eastearn Ukraine, it is necessary to create a favorable business environment for investors, simplify registration and business procedures, and remove outdated regulatory norms.
1. Tatarul'yeva A.O. (2016) Vplyv inozemnogo investuvannya na ekonomichnyj rozvytok krayiny [Impact of foreign investment on the economic development of the country]. Prychornomorski ekonomichni studiyi, No4, pp. 29-34. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/bses_2016_4_8 (in Ukrainian).
2. Averchuk R. (2017) Pryami inozemni investyciyi v Ukrayini: vijna i myr [Foreign direct investment in Ukraine: war and peace]. Retrieved from https://voxukraine.org/2017/01/12/investments-in-ukraine-ua (in Ukrainian).
3. Melnyk O., Adamiv M., Smereka L. (2018) Diagnostics of investment attractiveness of business entities in conditions of European integration. Economics, Entrepreneurship, Management, Vol. 5, No. 1., pp. 15-22.
4. Ramanova Yu.S., Gerasymchuk V.G. (2017) Mexanizm pidvyshhennya efektyvnosti zaluchennya inozemnyx investycij v ekonomiku Ukrayiny [The mechanism of increasing the efficiency of attracting foreign investments in the economy of Ukraine]. Ekonomichnyj visnyk NTUU «KPI», No14, pp. 417-422. Retrieved from http://ev.fmm.kpi.ua/ar-ticle/downlo-ad/108723/103671 (in Ukrainian).
5. Roshhyna N.V., Bordanova L.S., Mil'ko I.V. (2017) Osoblyvosti zaluchennya pryamyx inozemnyx investycij v ekonomiku Ukrayiny [Features of attraction of foreign direct investments in the economy of Ukraine]. Ekonomichnyj visnyk NTUU «KPI», 14. Retrieved from http://ev.fmm.kpi.ua/article/download/108764/103707 (in Ukrainian).
6. Pryami investyciyi (akcionernyj kapital) (2010-2018) [Direct Investment (Equity) (2010-2018)]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2017/zd/inv_zd/pi_ak_ks_reg/p... (in Ukrainian).
7. Pryami investyciyi (akcionernyj kapital) v ekonomici Ukrayiny / z Ukrayiny: za krayinamy svitu; krayinamy YeS; vydamy ekonomichnoyi diyal'nosti; po regionax (2010-2018) [Direct investment (equity) in the economy of Ukraine / from Ukraine: by countries of the world; EU countries; types of economic activity; by region (2010-2018)]. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2017/zd/inv_zd/pi_ak_ks_reg/p... (in Ukrainian).
8. Konvenciya mizh Uryadom Ukrayiny i Uryadom Velykogo Gerczogstva Lyuksemburg pro unyknennya podvijnogo opodatkuvannya ta poperedzhennya podatkovyx uxylen'. Mizhnarodnyj dokument №442_002 vid 06.09.1997 [Convention between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg on the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of tax evasion. International document]. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/442_002 (in Ukrainian).
9. Chmeruk T. (2017) Ofshornyj Lyuksemburg. Uryad pidshukav oligarxam novu sxovanku [Offshore Luxembourg. The government has sought a new hiding place for the oligarchs]. Retrieved from https://www.epravda.com.ua/publications/2017/02/23/621830/ (in Ukrainian).
10. Kutsenko Yu. (2018) Investyciyi z RF v Ukrayinu zbil'shylysya lyshe na paperi [Investments from the Russian Federation to Ukraine increased only on paper]. Retrieved from https://cutt.ly/ErWfwp (in Ukrainian).
11. Par Marie de Vergès. (2016) Les entreprises françaises tentées par les promesses du marché ukrainien [French companies tempted by the promises of the Ukrainian market]. Retrieved from https://www.lemonde.fr/entreprises/article/2016/10/27/les-entreprises-fr... (in French).
12. Nimecz'ki kompaniyi stvoryly 2 tys. robochyx miscz' v Ukrayini u 2017 roci (2018) [German companies created 2,000 jobs in Ukraine in 2017]. Retrieved from https://ua.interfax.com.ua/news/general/474618.html (in Ukrainian).
13. Pro pidpryyemciv sxodu Ukrayiny, yaki pidnyaly biznes z nulya [About the entrepreneurs of Eastern Ukraine who raised their business from scratch]. Retrieved from https://censor.net.ua/ua/news/3094854-/video_pro_pidpryyemtsiv_shodu_ukr... (in Ukrainian).
14. U 2018 roci agrariyi vstanovyly absolyutnyj rekord eksportu sil'gospprodukciyi (2019) [In 2018, farmers set an absolute record for agricultural exports]. Retrieved from https://agropolit.com/news/11075-u-2018-rotsi-agrariyi-vstanovili-absoly... (in Ukrainian).
15. P'yat' galuzej ukrayins'koyi ekonomiky, yaki chekayut' na investyciyi (2017) [Five sectors of the Ukrainian economy waiting for investment]. Retrieved from https://news.finance.ua/ua/news/-/397755/5-galuzej-ukrayinskoyi-ekonomik...\ (in Ukrainian).
16. Foreign Investment Opportunity in Ukraine. Retrieved from https://usa.mfa.gov.ua/en/article/open/id/5752
17. Komsa K.R., Grebenyk K.M. (2017) Svitovyj rynok IT: misce Ukrayiny na n'omu [IT World Market: Ukraine's place on it]. Retrieved from https://mind.ua/publications/20178608-svitovij-rinok-it-misce-ukrayini-n... (in Ukrainian).
18. Ukrayina pidvyshhyla svoyi pozyciyi u rejtyngu investycijnoyi pryvablyvosti v 2018 roci (2018) [Ukraine has increased its position in the investment attractiveness rating in 2018]. Retrieved from https://www.bdo.ua/uk-ua/news-2/2018/ukraine-has-increased-its-position-... (in Ukrainian).