The article presents the results of analyzing the effect of external factors on the development and quality of higher education in Ukraine. Among them the authors differentiate quality secondary education, well organized vocational guidance at schools, effective system of selection and admission of school leavers, prediction of the need for certain specialties, providing autonomy for universities and effective work of the National Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education.
Various definitions of the concept of “higher education” are presented and analyzed. The authors consider the reasons of low competencies of higher schools applicants in almost all secondary school subjects and as a consequence the challenges facing the teachers of higher educational institutions in training high–quality specialists. It is emphasized that most universities and institutes are to take the responsibility for the quality of education. This will enable them to be internationally competitive.
1. Ensuring the quality of higher education: European best practice for Ukraine. (2014). Retrieved from: http://education–ua.org.
2. Kremen, V.H. (2014). Problemy yakosti ukrayinskoi osvity v konteksti suchasnykh tsyvilizatsiynykh zmin [Problems of quality of Ukrainian education in the context of modern civilization changes]. Vocational and technical education, 4, 5–8.
3. Law of Ukraine on Higher Education. Retrieved from: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556–18?test=GqsMfB7.apXVDPREZiBfCbBAHI4aks80msh8Ie6.
4. Levkivskyi, K. & Sukharnikov, Yu. (2004). Zavdannya shchodo zabezpechennya yakosti vyshchoi osvity v Ukrayini v konteksti Bolonskogo protsesu [The task of providing quality of higher education in Ukraine in the context of Bologna Process]. Vyshcha shkola, 5/6, 86–106.
5. Natsionalne agenstvo iz zabezpechennya yakosti vyshchoi osvity [National Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education]. Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Agency_for_Quality_Assurance_in_H....
6. Ofitsiynyi zvit pro provedennya v 2016 rotsi zovnishnyogo nezalezhnogo otsinyuvannya rezultativ navchannya, zdobutykh na osnovi povnoi zagalnoi serednyoi osvity. (2016). [The official report of a 2016 external evaluation of learning outcomes acquired in full secondary education]. Retrieved from: http://testportal.gov.ua/reports.
7. Sikorskyi, P.I. (2014). Superechnosti ukrainskoi osvity ta sposoby yikh vyrishennya [Contradictions Ukrainian education and solutions]. Osvita, 7 (5), 4–5.
8. Zovnishnya otsinka yakosti vyshchoi osvity v Ukrayini: shcho moze buty zmineno? [External evaluation of the quality of higher education in Ukraine: what could be changed?]. Retrieved from: http://education–ua.org/ua/articles/430–zovnishnya–otsinka–yakosti–vishchoji–osviti–v–ukrajini–shcho–mozhe–buti–zmineno.