The global process of transition to the information society, as well as economic, political and social changes that accompany it, accelerate the reform of the Ukrainian education system. First of all, it concerns providing access to education and training for all people who have the necessary skills and knowledge. The effective solution of these problems is facilitated by distance and blended learning, carried out on the basis of modern pedagogical, information and telecommunication technologies. In the article the ways of organizing blended teaching/learning of foreign languages in Ukrainian higher education institutions (HEI) are analyzed; types of software used for creating educational materials by means of innovative computer technologies to organize blended language learning are revealed; the prospects of using electronic materials of known platforms of online courses for teaching languages as supplements to distance courses compiled by the lecturers of the Department of Foreign Languages at Lviv Polytechnic National University on the basis of Lviv Polytechnic virtual learning environment (VLE) are considered. Materials of research are as follows: dissertations, scientific papers, materials of Ukrainian and international scientific and practical conferences, published by lecturers of foreign languages at Ukrainian higher education institutions, as well as web pages of these institutions and software for compiling educational materials.
On the basis of the analyzed materials, partially presented in the article, it was revealed that for organization of blended learning the lecturers of Foreign Language Departments at HEI, in addition to traditional educational materials for full-time study (manuals, dictionaries, audio and video recordings, etc.), actively use: electronic materials compiled by means of different types of tools in open access; portal materials for language learning; distance courses or their elements compiled by means of the VLE of their educational institutions; educational materials of the platforms of mass open online courses (MOOC). Lecturers of the Department of Foreign Languages at Lviv Polytechnic National University have used MOOC for their students teaching since January 2019. English language practical classes, held at Lviv Polytechic for the first year students, demonstrated that the students using successfully the materials of distance course, compiled by the lecturers of the Department of Foreign Languages for their students, can improve better their knowledge of the language than the rest students. The further researches will be concerned to description of the techniques for organization of foreign languages blended learning by incorporating the materials of the MOOC platforms in the course of classes with full-time and part-time students.
- Bavaria Has Opened. (2019). Bavaria Has Opened a Virtual University for All. Retrieved from: https://www.dw.com/ uk/bavariia-vidkrila-bezkoshtovnii-universitet-dlia-vsikh/a-49949008. [In Ukrainian]
- Fedoryshyn, M. (2018). Application of Open Online Resources in Educational Process of "Practical Experience of Translation: Japanese Language" Course of Study. Innovative Computer Technology at Higher School. Proceedings of the 10th Scientific and Practical Conference, pp. 61–64. Ed. by L. Ozirkovskyi. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House. Retrieved from: ist-2018zbirnykprac3.pdf. [In Ukrainian].
- Ivaschyshyn, O. (2010). Virtual Environment for Foreign Languages Distance Learning. Bulletin of the Lviv State University of Life Safety, 4, 25–32. [In Ukrainian].
- Karpushyna, M., & Shumylo, I. (2018). Application of Open Electronic Educational Resources for English Language Learning. Innovative Computer Technology at Higher School. Proceedings of the 10th Scientific and Practical Conference. Ed. by L. Ozirkovskyi, pp. 65–71. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House. Retrieved from: https://www.ist-2018zbirnykprac3.pdf. [In Ukrainian].
- Kudin, A., Kudina, T., Minenko, O., & Koval, O. (2019). Development and Implementation of Web-Oriented Systems of Learning at Mychailo Dragomanov National Pedagogical University. Proceedings of the 11th Scientific and Practical Conference. Ed. by L. Ozirkovskyi, pp. 6–10. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House. Retrieved from: http://science.lpnu.ua/ict-2019. [In Ukrainian].
- Mazur, M. (2019) Methodological Approaches for Organization and Information Software for Self-Training in Face-to-Face and Distance Forms of Learning. Proceedings of the 11th Scientific and Practical Conference. Ed. by L. Ozirkovskyi, pp. 26–30. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House. Retrieved from: http://science.lpnu.ua/ict-2019. [In Ukrainian].
- Medvedyeva, O. (2017). "Step to Ukraine" Educational Portal as an interactive online course for Ukrainian Language Distance Learning by the foreign students of Lviv Polytechnic. Proceedings of the 9th Scientific and Practical Conference. Ed. by L. Ozirkovskyi, pp. 19–25. Lviv: Taras Shevchenko Scientific Society Publishing House. Retrieved from: http://ena.lp.edu.ua:8080/handle/ntb/39576. [In Ukrainian].
- Mulina, N. (2001). Methods of English Distant Course Development and its Integration into Language Teaching Process (Upper Stage of a Technical University). Abstract of Candidate Dissertation for Pedagogical Sciences (13.00.02 – Theory and methods of teaching). Kyiv National Linguistic University. Kyiv, 22 p. Retrieved from: http://mulina.sumdu.edu.ua/. [In Ukrainian].
- Online Service. (2019) Online Service of Distance Learning Coursera. Retrieved from: https://www.coursera.org/
- Shunevych, B. (2008). Development of Distance Education at Higher Schools in European and Northern American Countries. Abstract of Doctoral Dissertation for Pedagogic Sciences (13.00.01 – General pedagogy and history of pedagogy). Institute of Higher Education at the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine. Kyiv, 39 p. [In Ukrainian].
- Shunevych, B. (2009). Methodology of Foreign Language Blended Learning at Higher School. Scientific Proceedings of the National University of "Ostroh Academy". Philology Series. Ostroh: "Ostroh Academy" National University Publishing House, 11, 542–548. [In Ukrainian].
- Shunevych, B. (2019). Prospects of Using Educational Materials of New Ukrainian Project for English Language Training. Foreign Languages Training of Law Enforcement Agencies and Security Sector Officers. Proceedings of the Third International Scientific and Practical Conference, pp. 194–196. Kyiv: National Prosecution Academy of Ukraine. Retrieved from: Conf_27.03.19…pidgotovka.pdf. [In Ukrainian].
- Shunevych, B., & Rak, N. (2019). Prospects of Massive Open Online Courses Implementation at Ukrainian Establishments of Higher Education. Bulletin of Lviv University: Pedagogical Series, 34, 249–256. [In Ukrainian].
- TALAS. (2019). Retrieved from: http://talas.dx.am/about.php
- The Best Online. (2019). The Best Online Courses of Ukraine and the World. Retrieved from: https://prometheus.org.ua/. [In Ukrainian].
- Virtuelle Hochschule Bayern. (2019). Retrieved from: https://www.vhb.org/