Intellectual capital in modern conditions is getting the special importance as an instrument of innovative development. Its formation and use in this process give an opportunity to provide favourable conditions for the innovative growth of the economy in the region.
The purpose of this study is to determine preconditions and suggest ways to intensify the use of
the intellectual potential of the Ivano-Frankivsk region.
The article examines and summarizes the features of approaches to understanding the economic substance of category “intellectual potential of the region” by various scholars.
This paper reviews the research conducted on the intellectual potential of the region and the innovative infrastructure of entrepreneurship support. The article analyzes the internal structure of intellectual potential on the example of the Ivano-Frankivsk region. Quantitative and qualitative indicators of intellectual potential of innovative development of the region are presented. The basic elements of the innovative infrastructure of the region are systematized. It is emphasized that the creation of a developed infrastructure and training of skilled manpower in the field of innovative industries and technologies are very important for the region.
Results of the article have shown the importance of intellectual potential development. The development of the market of the intellectual resources leads to a continuous improvement in the quality of economic activity of enterprises. Management of the city needs to place emphasis on development of intellectual potential.
Expenditures on research and development have been increasing over the past 3 years. Analyzing the sources of financing for the development of intellectual capital of enterprises in Ivano-Frankivsk region, it should be noted that the main source of financing such expenses is the own funds of enterprises. The percentage of scientists is very low in Ivano-Frankivsk region.
The main reasons of the low innovation activity of the industrial enterprises in the Ivano- Frankivsk region, as well as Ukraine as a whole, are the low level of state support and financing innovation activities, the lack of effective mechanisms for commercialization of research results, low demand for intellectual products in the market, and ineffective and inadequate activity of innovative infrastructure for entrepreneurship support.
Ways to intensify the use of the intellectual potential of the Ivano-Frankivsk region:
- preferential financing for entrepreneurs (innovators and start-ups);
- innovation tax credit;
- grants for the implementation of innovative projects;
- creation of innovative structures with the assistance of local authorities;
- reforming the business support infrastructure.
Innovative infrastructure has a significant potential for creating an intellectual product, which is the result of “creative destruction” and goes way from the existing creative imbalance to local market equilibrium by creating innovative product. It is necessary to transform knowledge into innovations creating favorable conditions for this. The prospects of innovative development depend on the intellectual potential.
1. Vovkanych S. Ukrainska natsionalna ideia ta yii intelektualne zabezpechennia [Ukrainian national idea and its intellectual support]. Available at: http://www.vesna.org.ua/txt/sxid/phil/index.html (accessed 2 May 2019). (in Ukrainian)
2. Hadzalo A. Ya. (2006) Znachennia Intelektualnoho Potentsialu v Umovakh Pohlyblennia Yevrointehratsiinykh Protsesiv [The value of intellectual potential in conditions of deepening of European integration
processes]. Economics of Agriculture, no.8, pp. 138-142. (in Ukrainian)
3. Maksymenko I. I. (2010) Upravlenye Yntellektualnym Potentsyalom Rehyona [Management of intellectual potential of the region] (Dissertation Abstract). Perm. (in Ukrainian)
4. Matusevych K. M. (2010) Intelektualnyi potentsial yak instytutsionalnyi chynnyk formuvannia ekonomiky postindustrialnoho typu [Intellectual Potential as an Institutional Factor in the Formation of Post-Industrial Economy] (Dissertation Abstract). Kyiv. (in Ukrainian)
5. Semykina M. V., Hunko V. I. (2011) Intelektualnyi Potentsial ta yoho Rol v Natsionalni i Ekonomitsi [Intellectual Potential and its Role in the National Economy]. Economics and Management, no 1, pp. 50-56. (in Ukrainian)
6. Busel V.T. (2004) Velykyi Tlumachnyi Slovnyk Suchasnoi Ukrainskoi Movy 170 000 Sliv I Slovospoluchen [The great explanatory dictionary of modern Ukrainian]. Kyiv: Perun. (in Ukrainian).
7. Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Kyiv: Informatsiino-analitychne ahenstvo. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (in Ukrainian)
8. Holovne upravlinnia statystyky v Ivano-Frankivskii oblasti. Retrieved from http://www.ifstat.gov.ua (accessed 24 April 2019). (in Ukrainian)
9. Ofitsiinyi sait Ivano-Frankivskoi oblasnoi derzhavnoi administratsii. Retrieved from http://www.if.gov.ua/news/41493 (accessed 24 April 2019). (in Ukrainian)
10. Kurbatov S. V. (2015) Fenomen universytetu v konteksti hlobalnykh transformatsii [The Phenomenon of the University in the Context of Global Transformations] (Dissertation Abstract). Kyiv. (in Ukrainian)
11. Khomyn O. V. (2007) Intelektualne pidpryiemnytstvo v umovakh formuvannia sotsialno-oriientovanoi ekonomiky [Intellectual entrepreneurship in the conditions of formation of socially oriented economy] (Dissertation Thesis). Kharkiv. (in Ukrainian)
12. Varnalii Z. S. (2013) Konkurentospromozhnist natsionalnoi ekonomiky: problemy ta priorytety innovatsiinoho zabezpechenn [Competitiveness of the national economy: problems and priorities of innovative
provision] (Monograph). Kyiv: Znannia Ukrainy. (in Ukrainian)