Purpose. This article aims to improve the theoretical and applied bases of activating the development of the IT sphere in Ukraine by determining the factors that influence this process and the stages this process went through.
Design/methodology/approach. In the article, authors use a set of scientific methods that ensured the conceptual integrity of the study, in particular: logic – to study the evolution of the IT-sphere; system – to highlight the conceptual foundations of the IT products market; methods of dialectical reasoning, induction, deduction – to justify strategic priorities; comparative and statistical analysis – to study the peculiarities of the development of the-IT sphere; economic and mathematical modelling – to build trends, regression models and forecasts; cluster analysis – to identify regional asymmetries in the development of the IT sector of Ukraine.
Findings. The article summarizes scientific approaches to the interpretation of the IT sphere. The authors of the article interpret IT-sphere with the activities of economic agents involved in developing a computerized system, storage, data processing, and data management. The authors describe the institutional and legal support for the IT market regulation; the components of the IT market. The authors investigate the chronology of the IT-sphere formation in Ukraine and identify five stages of its development: before 1990; 1990–2000; 2000–2020; 2011–2019; 2019 and to present. The article shows that during the pandemic, the domestic IT sector does not lose its potential, increases exports, and does not reduce public funds payments. Employment in the domestic IT sector is identified as prestigious based on a study of the rate of change in the number of IT specialists in Ukraine, the share of young people among them, and a comparative assessment of their income and income in other sectors of Ukraine’s economy.
Originality/value. The authors hypothetically assume that the system of higher education and the volume of government procurement for IT specialists’ training affect the development of IT entrepreneurship in Ukraine. Based on the analysis of data on the distribution by region of Ukraine of the number of higher education institutions, the number of students in higher education institutions, the volume of government procurement for the training of IT specialists, the authors conclude the most increased localization of these indicators in the following regions: Kyiv, Kharkiv region, Lviv region, Dnipropetrovsk region, Odesa region. The authors show that the results of cluster analysis harmonize with the official information on the number of IT companies in Ukraine. This allowed the authors to prove the conclusion about the validity of the hypothetical assumption.
A separate part of the article is dedicated to the strategic priorities of the state policy of developing the IT-sphere of Ukraine. The authors consider the effective development of the IT-sphere of Ukraine as strategic progress based on sustainability (viability for future generations), social value (producing effects that are beneficial to society), planning and predictability; effectiveness (multifaceted expediency); controllability, and settlement (state influence). Among the expected results of effective development of the IT-sphere of Ukraine, the authors single out the following: strengthening the role of the IT-sphere in the national economy; development of international cooperation; digitalization of social life and e-government; improving the business climate in IT and related fields; intensification of investment and innovation processes; enhancing the quality of life; expansion of the middle class.
Practical implications. The study results can be used by public authorities and local selfgovernment, and extensive IT companies to predict and influence IT development in some countries.
1. Protsikevich A. I. (2020). State regulation of the investment process in the IT services marke (PhD dissertation). Lviv, Ukraine. (In Ukrainian).
2. Dovgan L. E. & Kozinets A. V. (2018). IT development: problems and solutions in ensuring the competitiveness of domestic enterprises. Actual problems of economics and management: a collection of scientific works of young scientists KPI I. Sikorsky, 12. Retrieved from: http://ape.fmm.kpi.ua/article/view/130936/126662. (In Ukrainian).
3. Kutova N. G. & Kozyr A. A. (2020). Analysis and prospects of development of the Ukrainian IT sphere. Current economic, legal, social and environmental aspects of industry and society: materials of the All-Ukrainian scientific-practical conference, рр. 39-41. (In Ukrainian).
4. Shukan A., Abdizhami A., Ospanova G. & Abdakimova D. (2019). Crime control in the sphere of information technologies in the Republic of Turkey. Digital Investigation, 30, рр. 94-100. doi.org/10.1016/j.diin. 2019.07.005.
5. Shevchuk I. B. (2018). Determinations of transformational changes in the region's economy and IT development. Business Inform, 6, рр. 344-348. (In Ukrainian).
6. Skalli Loubna H. (2006). Communicating Gender in the Public Sphere: Women and Information Technologies in the MENA. Journal of Middle East Women's Studies, 2(2), рр. 35-59.
7. Khandiі O. (2019). Government support for transformation of labor relations in IT-sphere in the digital economy. Economy of Industry, 2(86), рр. 126-145. doi.org/10.15407/econindustry2019.02.126.
8. Cambridge Dictionary. Retrieved from: https://dictionary.cambridge.org.
9. On the national informatization program: Law of Ukraine of 04.02.1998 No. 74/98-VR. Retrieved from: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/TM002768.html.
10. Encyclopedia of modern Ukraine. Information Technology. Retrieved from: http://esu.com.ua/ search_articles.php?id=12474.
11. On approval of the action plan to support the development of the software industry for 2015: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 08.04.2015 No. 338-r. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov. ua/laws/show/338-2015-%D1%80.
12. Draft Law on Stimulating the Development of Information Technologies in Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=70474.
13. On electronic communications: Law of Ukraine of 12.01.2021 No. 3014. Retrieved from: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=68059.
14. Kutsik P. & Protsikevich A. (2017). Conceptual characteristics and features of state regulation of IT services market development. Economic discourse, No. 3, рр. 47-54. (In Ukrainian).
15. Techopedia. Retrieved from: https://www.techopedia.com.
16. From traditional to digital: how "botanists and nerds" built the most dynamic branch of the Ukrainian economy Retrieved from: https://voxukraine.org/longreads/plugged-in-economy/index.html.
17.Chronology of formation and development of computer engineering in Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://ua.uacomputing.com/stories/timeline/.
18. How did the technical tops of Ukrainian IT companies start their careers. Retrieved from: https://dou.ua/lenta/articles/first-job-of-top/.
19.Revenue of IT companies of Ukraine and its neighbors is growing 4-5 times faster than the world average: Retrieved from: https://www. althoughda.com.ua/rus/news/2019/02/15/645317/.
20. Top 50 IT companies of Ukraine, July 2020: only 2 % growth, negative dynamics in the "big five" and reduction in the quarter. Retrieved from: https://dou.ua/lenta/articles/top-50-july-2020.
21. Forbes Small Giants: The Best Small Companies Of 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ susanadams/2019/04/30/forbes-small-giants-the-best-small-companies-of-2019/?sh=529c6779382c.
22. Top 5 IT-clusters of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://ucluster.org/blog/2020/04/top5-it-klasteriv-ukraini/.
23. Salaries of Ukrainian developers - winter 2021. Retrieved from: https://dou.ua/lenta/articles/salary-reportdevs-winter-2021/.
24. Statistical Yearbook of Ukraine for 2019. State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://ukrstat.org/en/druk/publicat/kat_u/2020/.
25. Top 5 IT-clusters of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://ucluster.org/blog/2020/04/top5-it-klasteriv-ukraini/.
26. Government order 2020. Retrieved from: https://mon.gov.ua/en/osvita/visha-osvita/vstupna-kampaniya2020/derzhavn....
27. Program of activities of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ storage/app/sites/1/Program/diyalnosti-kmu-20.
28. Doing business. Measuring Business Regulations: website. Retrieved from: https://www. doingbusiness.org.
29. Monitoring the implementation of the SME Development Strategy of Ukraine for 2017-2020, OECD Publishing, Paris. Retrieved from: www.oecd.org/eurasia/competitiveness-programme/eastern-partners/Monitori...'s-SME-Development-Strategy-2017-2020-UKR.pdf.
30. On approval of the Strategy for the development of high-tech industries until 2025 and approval of the action plan for its implementation: Draft order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine: Retrieved from: https://ips.ligazakon.net/document/NT2490
31. Galkiv L. I., Kulinyak I. Ya., Lisovska L. S., Kulinich T. V. & Matviy I. E. (2019). Evaluation and improvement of efficiency of innovation processes. Lviv, Ukraine. (In Ukrainian).