Purpose. The purpose of the study is to develop a scientific and methodological approach to the formation of a strategy for increasing the investment attractiveness of the region using a SWOT analysis, as well as the formation of recommendations for the development of a program to improve the use of its investment potential within its limits, and its practical approbation on the example of the Lviv region of Ukraine.
Design/methodology/approach. The article uses methods of analysis and synthesis, SWOT analysis to form approaches to the strategy of increasing the investment attractiveness of the region.
Findings. As a result of the conducted research, it was found that the “investment attractiveness of the territory or region” can be characterized as a complex characteristic of the area, which determines the possibility of investor interest and investment attraction, taking into account such groups of factors as: economic, ecological, political and image.
The main (internal) factors affecting the increase in investment attractiveness of the region are determined, namely: natural resources (available minerals, explored sources, etc.), labor resources, socioeconomic development of the region, labor resources, as well as auxiliary (external) factors of increase investment attractiveness of the region: marketing policy, management system of economic activity in the region, external infrastructure, tourist attraction; environmental quality, general image of the region, etc.
A sequence of strategies for increasing the investment attractiveness of the region has been formed, which includes the following stages: information provision; defining the mission and goals; definition and analysis of internal and external environmental factors; forecasting the conditions of investment attractiveness of the region, which involves finding out opportunities and threats, as well as their changes in the future; strategy formation; analysis of the chosen strategy and decision-making.
The SWOT analysis of natural resources showed that the Lviv region has sufficient potential, including unique resources, which gives grounds for forecasting an increase in the investment attractiveness of the region. However, for this, it is necessary to plan significant changes in economic and international activities, in particular: the development of new oil and gas fields; more efficient use of gas storages; change of owners of strategic enterprises; improvement of transport infrastructure; dissemination of information about the potential of the region, etc., taking into account threats and the state of affairs of competitors. A SWOT analysis of the socio-economic development of the Lviv region showed that significant potential is concentrated at its borders, in particular: favorable geographical location, the potential for improving the development of industry and agriculture, etc. However, due to significant threats (a full-scale war on the entire territory of Ukraine; the danger of hostilities spreading to the territory of the Lviv region), the investment climate in Ukraine, and therefore also in the Lviv region, is deteriorating. To improve the situation, it is necessary to improve the legislative field and investment policy, improve the promotion of the region's potential in the international.
A SWOT analysis of the labor resources of the Lviv region showed that this region has a significant potential for labor resources. However, there remain problems and threats that should be addressed: it is necessary to improve the demographic situation in the region, create jobs, solve problems with the employment of internally displaced persons, etc. A SWOT analysis of the marketing policy in the process of increasing the investment attractiveness of the Lviv region showed that measures are being taken in this region to improve the information of potential investors, including international agreements on improving the use of the investment potential of the region, but there is still a threat of continued hostilities, including in this region. This complicates the task of attracting investment.
Practical implications. Taking into account the results of the research, it is advisable to adopt a program for improving the use of the investment potential of the region, which may include the following components: rational use of natural resources; increasing the qualification of labor resources; implementation of marketing policy for attracting investors, etc.
Originality/value. The article proposes new approaches to the formation of a strategy for increasing the investment attractiveness of the region, taking into account the tourist attractiveness factor.
1. Official website of the National Bank of Ukraine (2022). Retrieved from: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/ statistic/sector-external (access date 05.22.22).
2. Budnikova Yu. V. & Taryanyk, O. M. (2011). Investytsiina pryvablyvist yak ekonomichna katehoriia [Investment attractiveness as an economic category]. Bulletin of the Khmelnytskyi National University, vol. 1(2), pp. 125-128. (In Ukrainian).
3. Official website of the Agency for the Prevention of Bankruptcy of Enterprises and Organizations. Methodology of integrated assessment of investment attractiveness of enterprises and organizations. Order of the Agency on Prevention of Bankruptcy of Enterprises and Organizations. (1998). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada. gov.ua/laws/show/z0214-98 (access date 05.23.22).
4. Duma O. I. (2019). Rozroblennia metodu kompleksnoho otsiniuvannia investytsiinoi pryvablyvosti pidpryiemstva [Development of a method of comprehensive assessment of the investment attractiveness of the enterprise] Investments: practice and experience, vol. 12, pp. 101-106. (In Ukrainian).
5. Geleverya E. M. & Sergienko Y. I. (2020). Investytsiina pryvablyvist rehioniv yak osnova staloho rozvytku krainy [Investment attractiveness of regions as the basis of sustainable development of the country]. Business Inform, vol. 4, pp. 111-117 (In Ukrainian).
6. Petrovska S. A. (2012). Otsinky investytsiinoi pryvablyvosti rehionu: porivnialnyi pofaktornyi analiz [Estimates of the investment attractiveness of the region: a comparative factorial analysis]. Mechanism of economic regulation, vol. 2, pp. 90-97 (In Ukrainian).
7. Dzwigol H., Aleinikova O., Umanska Y., Shmygol N. & Pushak Ya. Yes. (2019). An entrepreneurship model of assessing the investment attractiveness of regions. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, vol. 22 (1), pp. 1-7 (in English).
8. Kovtun N. V. Factor analysis of the efficiency of the investment process and activity. Accounting and finance of agriculture: educational portal Retrieved from: http://magazine.faaf.org.ua/faktorniy-analiz-efektivnostiinvesticiynogo-...
9. Koshelok G. V. The system of factors affecting the assessment of the investment attractiveness of food industry enterprises. Herald of socio-economic research, 36: Retrieved from: http//dspace.oneu.edu.ua/jspui/ bitstream/123456789/749/1
10. Shevchenko N. I. (2009). Faktory, shcho vyznachaiut investytsiinu pryvablyvist derzhavy [Factors determining the investment attractiveness of the state]. Public administration: improvement and development, vol. 4 (In Ukrainian).
11. Raszkowski A. (2013). Selected aspects of investment attractiveness of regions. ACC Journal, vol. 2 (B), pp. 116-126 (in English).
12. Zavadskikh H. M. (2017). Metodychni pidkhody do otsinky investytsiinoi pryvablyvosti rehionu [Methodical approaches to assessing the investment attractiveness of the region]. Global and national economic problems, vol. 17 (In Ukrainian).
13. Konakova K. (2017). Faktory vplyvu na investytsiinu pryvablyvist Ukrainy [Factors influencing the investment attractiveness of Ukraine]. Problems and prospects of economics and management, vol. 4 (12) (In Ukrainian).
14. Danylchuk H., Chebanova N., Reznik N. & Vitkovskyi Y. (2019). Modeling of investment attractiveness of countries using entropy analysis of regional stock markets. Global Journal of Environmental Science and Management, vol. 5. Special Iss. (in English).
15. Khrulkov A., Mityagin S.A. & Repkin A.I. (2020). Multi-factor approach to investment attractiveness assessment of urban spaces. Procedia Computer Science, vol. 178, pp. 94-102. (in English).
16. Block J., Fisch, Ch., Vismara S. & Andres R. (2019). Private equity investment criteria: An experimental conjoint analysis of venture capital, business angels, and family offices. Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 58, pp. 329-352 (in English).
17. Vasiliev S. V. & Ivanchenko N. M. (2016). Factors and directions for improving the investment attractiveness of agricultural production. Economic thought. Investments: practice and experience, vol. 9, pp. 46-49 (in English).
18. Shpak N., Muzychenko-Kozlovska O., Gvozd M. & Sroka W. (2021). Simulation of the Influence of External Factors on the Level of Use of the Regional Tourism Potential: A Practical Aspect. Administrative Sciences, vol. 11(3), pp. 85-106 (in English).
19. Official website of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine. (2022). Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua (access date 06.03.2022).
20. The official website of the Main Department of Statistics in the Lviv Region. (2022). Retrieved from: http://www.lv.ukrstat.gov.ua (access date 06.13.2022).
21. Official website of the Lviv Military Administration. Department of Ecology and Natural Resources. (2022). Retrieved from: https://deplv.gov.ua/mineralno-syrovynna-baza-lvivskoyi-oblasti (access date 06.06.2022).
22. Official website of the State Tourism Development Agency of Ukraine. (2022). Retrieved from: https://www.tourism.gov.ua (access date 06.10.22).
23. Official website of the Lviv City Council. Department of Economic Development. Department of Tourism. (2022). Retrieved from: https://www.city-adm.lviv.ua (access date 06.10.22).
24. Official website of the Lviv City Council. Department of Economic Development. Management of investments and projects. (2022). Retrieved from: https://www.city-adm.lviv.ua (access date 06.10.22).