Aims. The investigations of the transmission of elevations over water surfaces remain topical, so the first aim is to develop the technique of increasing the accuracy of the trigonometric instead of geometrical one. The second aim is to investigate the methods of trigonometric which can be used for the transmission of elevations over water surfaces with the use of modern devices. Methodology. Simultaneous and non-simultaneous reciprocal observations over different water surfaces have been carried out. The results of the trigonometric leveling carried out by different methods have been processed. Results. On the territories of training geodetic site in Berezhany city (Ternopil region) and urban settlement Shatsk (Volyn’ region) the activities directed to the creation of elevation geodetic base have taken place, including the investigations of the accuracy of trigonometric leveling during the transmission of elevation over the water surfaces. Vertical tie-in of geodetic datum has been done by the III class geometrical leveling. For determining heights on the investigated points, linear and angular measurements have been made with the use of automated tachymeters TPS 1201R Leica and TC 2003 Leica. According to the results of the observations on the geodetic site in urban settlement Shatsk, the comparison of the elevations obtained by the geometric leveling and trigonometric leveling by the methods “from inside”, “across the point”, “refraction basis” and non-simultaneous reciprocal leveling has been conducted. Balancing of the analytical network by a method of least squares has been done. According to the results obtained in Berezhany, the coefficients of vertical refraction along different directions have been computed and the comparison of elevations obtained from the III class geometric leveling and from the trigonometric leveling done by the method “from inside” have been conducted. The investigations of the accuracy of different methods of trigonometric leveling compared to III class geometric leveling have shown that they both generally meet the accuracy requirements of leveling on the flat grounds. Since the rough terrain has its peculiarities, some additional measured characteristics of the propagation of the axis of sight over different surfaces should be taken into account, for example, fluctuations of zenith distances determining atmosphere stratification or measured elevations. Scientific novelty. The application of non-simultaneous reciprocal trigonometric leveling over the water surfaces instead the III class geometric leveling on the paths under 1 km in length. Practical applicability. The possibility of replacing the cost-based geometric leveling with the trigonometric leveling without accuracy losses during the transmission of elevations over the water surfaces is shown.
- Baran P. I., Solovjov F. F., Chornokon' V. Ja. Trygonometrychne niveljuvannja v inzhenerno-geodezychnyh robotah [Trigonometric in geodetic works]. Kyiv: Ukrgeodezkartografija, 1996, 130 p.
- Brunner F. K.: Vertical Refraction Angle Derived from the Variance of the Angle-Of-Arrival Fluctuations. In: Refractional Influences in Astronomy and Geodesy, Tengström E., Teleki G. (Eds.), 1979, pp. 227–238.
- Celms A., Ratkevičs A., Brants A., Kauranens E. Accuracy of height measurements for levelling across wide water bodies. Suchasnі dosjagnennja geodezichnoї nauki ta virobnictva [Modern achievements in geodetic science and industry]. 2013 issue ІІ (26), pp. 97–101.
- Dement'ev V. E., Pellinen L. P. Refrakcija i mirazhi [Refraction and mirages]. Moscow: OOO “Galleja-Print”, 2009, 391 p.
- Dement'ev V. E. Refraktsiia v turbulentnii atmosferi [Refraction in a turbulent atmosphere]. Moscow: OOO “Galleja-Print”, 2011, 398 p.
- Maslіch D. І., Perіj S. S. Osobennosti refrakcionnogo polja na morskih trassah v pribrezhnom subtropicheskom rajone [Features of the refractive field on the sea routes in the coastal subtropical region]. Geodezija, kartografija i ajerofotos#emka [Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography]. Lviv: 1984, issue 39, pp. 38–46.
- Moroz O. I. Vyznachennia ta vrakhuvannia vertykalnoi refraktsii pid chas heodezychnykh vymiriuvan: Monohrafiia. [Definition and calculation of vertical refraction during geodetic measurements]. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 2003, 224 p.
- Ostrovskij A. L., Dzhuman B. M, Zablockij F. D., Kravcov N. I. Uchet atmosfernyh vlijanij na astronomo-geodezicheskie izmerenija [Accounting of atmospheric effects on astronomical and geodetic measurements.]. Moscow: Nedra, 1990, 235 p.
- Ostrovs'kij A., Kravchuk O. Doslіdzhennja zakonomіrnostej dії vertikal'noї refrakcії ta tochnostі trigonometrichnogo nіveljuvannja nad vodnimi poverhnjami [The study of the regularities of the action of vertical refraction and the accuracy of trigonometric over water surfaces]. Geodezіja, kartografіja і aeroznіmannja. [Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography]. 2007, issue 69, pp. 83–90.
- Perіj S. S. Vikoristannja dvostoronn'ogo trigonometrichnogo nіveljuvannja u svіtlovіddalemіrnіj polіgonometrії [Using of bilateral trigonometric levelling in light range-finder polygonometry]. Geodezіja, kartografіja і aerofotoznіmannja [Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography]. 2001, issue 61, pp.112–117.
- Perіj S. S Aprobacіja zastosuvannja neodnochasnogo dvostoronn'ogo trigonometrichnogo nіveljuvannja z urahuvannjam vertikal'noї refrakcії [Approbation of application of non-simultaneous bilateral trigonometric levelling taking into account vertical refraction]. Geodezіja, kartografіja і aerofotoznіmannja [Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography]. 2015, issue 82, pp. 19–28.
- Tlustjak B. T. Issledovanie zakonomernostej izmenenija zemnoj refrakcii v pribrezhnoj zone bol'shih vodnyh poverhnostej [Investigation of the regularities of changes in terrestrial refraction in the coastal zone of large water surfaces]. Geodezija, kartografija i ajerofotos#emka [Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography]. Lviv: 1974, issue 20, pp. 86–93.
- Tlustjak B. T., Perіj S. S. Statisticheskaja harakteristika refrakcii svetovyh luchej na morskih trassah. [Statistical characteristic of refraction of light rays on sea routes]. Tez. dokl. Vsesojuz. soveshh. po refrakcii jelektromagnitnyh voln v atmosfere [Abstracts of the All-Union Conference on the refraction of electromagnetic waves in the atmosphere]. Tomsk, 1983, pp. 281–284.
- Tretyak K., Perij S. S., Sidorov I. S., Babiy L. Complex High Accuracy Satellite and Field Measurements of Horizontal and Vertical Displacements of Control Geodetic Network on Dniester Hydroelectric Pumped Power Station (HPPS). Geomatics and Environmental Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, 2015, pp. 83–96. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.7494/geom.2015.9.1.83
- Walo J., Pachuta A., Olszak T. The Height transfer over the Czorsztyn artificial lake applying trigometric levelling. Reports on Geodesy. 2004, tom 2/69, pp. 315–321.