Purpose. The purpose of this study is to determine the reliability of the results obtained using a fully automatic method for orienting scans. The results are determined in two different common software tools and compared with the results of scanning scans by combining common points using special marks - 3D spheres. Methodology. A technique is proposed based on the creation of several scanning stations at a short distance and one at a relatively larger distance. One of the distant from the scanned stations will be determined by the basic. This station should cover all the reference points and objects, which will be used to register the scans, as well as most of the scanned object. The control of the obtained results will be carried out by modeling the surface of 3D spheres and their comparatively. Results. In 2015, during archaeological excavations at the corner of Krakow-Armenian streets, the task was to fix the boulders of historical buildings. These residues were a wall with a length of about 24 m. To ensure the completeness of the information, a terrestrial laser scanning was used as an optimal method for 3D surveying of long complex structures in the structure of objects. For a minimal effect of the orientation error of scans and a reduction in the preparatory work for scanning, the baseline scan method with a high overlap level was used and the results of the scanning orientation were investigated. Originality. The proposed technique for performing terrestrail laser scanning provides an iterative method of searching for the closest point. The way to monitor the results obtained is the most reliable from a practical point of view, because it is based on comparison of the location of point groups and 3D modeling. Practical significance. The use of the applied methods makes it possible to significantly shorten the time for conducting field work on laser scanning, to obtain data with minimal influence of the misleading registration of scans.
1. Bulletin of Siberian Science. 2014. No. 4 (14), p.112–116. Autodesk knowledge network. Available at: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap
2. Chow J. Low Cost Artificial Planar Target Measurement Techniques for Terrestrial Laser Scanning Jacky Chow, Axel Ebeling, and Bill Teskey, FIG Congress 2010 Facing the Challenges – Building the Capacity Sydney, Australia, 11–16 April 2010
3. Cloud to Cloud Registration For 3d Point Data. Theses and Dissertations. A dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Purdue University by Darion Shawn Grant, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 2013, 143 p
4. Dorozhynskyy L. A. Nazemne lazerne skanuvannia v fotohrammetrii [Terrestrial laser scanning photogrammetry] [Text] teach. guidances. Lviv Polytechnic National University. Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 2014, 95 p.
5. Franaszek. M., Geraldine S. Cheok, Christoph Witzgall. Fast automatic registration of range images from 3D imaging systems using sphere targets. Automation in Construction, Vol. 18, Issue 3, May 2009, pp. 265–274.
6. Ismail Abd El Hamid Mohamed el Khrachy. Towards an Automatic Registration for Terrestrial Laser Scanner Data. Theses and dissertations, Fakultat Architektur, Bauingenieurwesen und Umweltwissenschaften der Technischen Universitat Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig, 2008, 113 p.
7. Lei Fan, Joel A. Smethurst, Peter M. Atkinson, William Powrie. Error in target-based georeferencing and registration in terrestrial laser scanning. Computers & Geosciences, Vol. 83, October 2015, pp. 54–64
8. Malitskyy. A. Y. Metodyka pobudovy frontalnoho fotoplanu zalyshkiv istorychnoi zabudovy u m. Lvovi [Method of constructing a frontal Photoplan remnants of historic buildings in the city Lviv]. III International Conference "Monuments Tustan", 2016, p. 181–182.
9. Mengmi Zhang. Accurate Sphere Marker-Based Registration System of 3D Point Cloud Data in Applications of Shipbuilding Blocks, Journal of Industrial and Intelligent Information Vol. 3, No. 4, December 2015, pp.318–323.
10. Pechenin V. A, Ruzanov N. V., Bolotov M. A. Metod povyshenija tochnosti raboty algoritma nailuchshego sovmeshhenija izmerennyh i jetalonnyh poverhnostej [The method of increasing the accuracy of the algorithm for the best alignment of measured and reference surfaces]. International Scientific Conference Proceedings, Volume 1 "Advanced Information Technologies and Scientific Computing" 2015, pp.105–109
11. Seredovich V. A., Komissarov A.V., Komissarov D.V., Shirokova Т.А. Nazemnoe lazernoe skanirovanie: monografija [Ground-based laser scanning: monograph]. Novosibirsk: SSGA, 2009, 261p.
12. Schultz R. Preimushhestva i nedostatki razlichnyh metodov sshivki lazernyh skanov [Advantages and disadvantages different methods laser scan registration]. Scientific papers of Donetsk National Technical University. Series: geological. Issue 9 (143), 2009, 211p.
13. Tsapko I. V., Omelyanyuk M. Yu. Sovmeshhenie trehmernyh izobrazhenij, poluchennyh v rezul'tate ruchnogo lazernogo skanirovanija [Combination of three-dimensional images obtained as a result of manual laser scanning]. Scene 6.2 User Manual, September 2016, 276 p.
14. Van Genechten Björn, Santana Quintero, Jose Luis Lerma, Erwin Heine. Theory and practice on Terrestrial Laser Scanning. Training material based on practical applications. Prepared by the Learning tools for advanced three-dimensional surveying in risk awareness project (3DRiskMapping), Version 4 June 2008, 241 p.