Taking into account the importance of time spent on passing distances of vehicle routes that lie across city road network (RN), well-known approaches to the determination of vehicle delay in the movement process (waiting for passage and the passage) of controlled intersections are analyzed. Reasons that cause the growth of these delays and that have an impact on traffic light cycle duration are counted. At the same time, the authors justify the need for change in the existing term transport delay. It should be interpreted (concerning intersection passage) as a delay only in the case when the group of vehicles that have stopped before intersection could not pass this intersection during the permission signal and wait for the next such signal. If the vehicles in the first group could pass the intersection (possibly taking into account also waiting for the permission signal), then this is not a delay but the necessary component of the technological process of the route passage. From this point of view, an approach in the traffic delay determination method at controlled intersections is proposed taking into account the particular components of Webster`s formula and the volume-capacity ratio of RN that determine the motorization level of the city population. A comparison of the results of delay calculation, determined with the use of the proposed method and Webster’s formula, is carried out
1. Fornalchyk, Ye. Yu. & Hilevych, V.V. (2010). Do poniattia “transportna zatrymka” [To the concept “traffic delay”. Materialy konferentsii molodykh vchenykh EMT2010 (pp. 64–65). – Lviv: LPNU (in Ukrainian).
2. Fornalchyk, Ye. Yu. & Hilevych, V.V. (2019). Pro “zatrymky” avtomobiliv i transportnykh potokiv na vyluchno-dorozhnii merezhi mista [About “delays” of vehicles and traffic flows on city road network]. Tezy dopovidei III Vseukrainskoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii “Problemu z transportnymy potokamy I napriamky iikh rozviazannia”. (pp. 43–45). – Lviv: LPNU (in Ukrainian).
3. Fornalchyk, Ye. Yu., Kuzio, V. V. & Hilevych, V.V. (2019). Do vyznachennia zatrymok avtobusiv na marshrutakh [to determination of bus delays on the routes]. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universutety “Lvivska politekhnika”. Seriia “Dymanika, mitsnist ta proektuvannia mashyn i pryladiv” [Visnyk of Lviv Polytechnic National University. Series: “Dynamics, strength and design of machines and mechanisms], Volume 910, 125–129 [in Ukrainian].
4. Vasilieva, H. Yu. (2007). Metody minimizatsii zatrymok transport na mahistralnii vulychno-dorozhnii merezhi mist Ukrainu [Methods of minimization of transport delays on road network of cities of Ukraine]. Candidate`s thesis. Kyiv (in Ukrainian).
5. Fornalchyk, Ye. Yu., Mohula, I. A., Trushevskui, V. E., & Hilevych, V. V. (2018). Upravlinnia dorozhnim rukhom na rehuliovanykh perekhrestiah u mistakh [Traffic management on controlled intersections in cities]. Lviv: Vydavnytstvo Lvivskoi poitekhniky (in Ukrainian).
6. Hul, A. Ye. & Stepanchuk, O. V. (2017). Metodu rozrakhunku zatrymky transport [Methods of traffic delays calculation]. Problemy rozvytku miskoho seredovyshcha – Problems of urban environment development. Volume 1(17), 69–77 [in Ukrainian].
7. Labutin, A. S. (2016). Zaderzhki transporta na nereguliruemykh peresecheniakh [Traffic delays on uncontrolled intersections]. Aleya nauki [Alley of science], Volume 3(3), 73–79. (in Russian)
8. Kunytsia, O. A. & Zakabluk, O.O. (2009). Vuznachennia diisnoi transportnoi zatrymky na nerehuliovanykh perelhrestiakh v odnomu rivni [Determination of transport delay on uncontrolled intersections in one level]. Visti Avtomobilno-dorozhnioho instytuyu – Visti of Automobile-road institute, Volume 2, 46-51.
9. Stepanchuk, O. V. (2018). Metodolohiia pidvyshchennia efektyvnosti funktsionuvannia vulychnodorozhnoi merezhi mist [Methodology of increase of the effectiveness of cities road network functioning]. Candidate`s thesis. Kyiv: KNUBA (in Ukrainian).
10. Highway Capacity Manual / Washington: TRB, 2000. 1134 p. 11. Handbuch fuer die Bemessung von Strassenverkehrsanlagen (HBS 2001). Forshungsgesellschaft fuer Strassenund Verkehrswesen, Koeln, Januar 2002.
12. Teply, S., Allingham, D. I., Richardson, D. B., & Stephenson, B. W. (2008). Canadian Capacity Guide for Signalized Intersections. Third Edition. Toronto: Institute of Transportation Engineers (in English).
13. Levterov A.I. Denysenko O.V. & Yaruta A.M. (2013) UA Patent №100660 Sposib vyznachennia zatrymok transportnykh zasobiv na rehulovanomu perekhresti ta prystrii dlia yoho zdiisnennia [Method for determining vehicle delays at a regulated intersection and device for its implementation]. Kharkiv (in Ukrainian)
14. Webster, F.V. & Cobbe, B. M. (1966). Traffic Signals: Technical Paper № 56. London: Road Research Laboratory (in English).
15. Hilevych, V. V. (2016). Pidvyshchennia efektyvnosti roboty rehuliovanykh perehrest z zhorskymu svitlofornymu tsyklamu [Increase of the effectiveness of controlled intersections operation with fixed-time cycles]. Candidate`s thesis. Lviv (in Ukrainian).
16. Hrytsun, O. M. (2016). Doslidzennia transportnykh zatrymok na pidhodakh do rehuliovanykh pishokhidnykh perehodiv za riznykh rezhymiv koordynatsii [Investigation of transport delays on approaches to controlled pedestrian crossings in different coordination regimes]. Visnyk Shidnoukrainskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Volodymyra Dalia [Visnyk of East Ukrainian National University by Volodymyr Dahl], Volume 1 (225), 55-59. (in Ukrainian).
17. Postranskyy, T. M. (2016). Vpvuv umov rukhu na pokaznyk aktyvnosti rehuliatornykh system vodia miskoho avtobusa [Impact of movement conditions on activity indicator of regulatory systems of city bus driver]. Mizhvuzivskyi zbirnyk “Naukovi notatku” [Intercollegiate collection “Scientific Notes], Volume 55, 310-314. (in Ukrainian).
18. Zhuk, M. M. (2017). Povedinka vodiia za kermom na rehuliovanykh perekhrestiakh [Driver behavior on controlled intersections] Tezy dopovidei II Vseukrainskoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii “Problemu z transportnymy potokamy i napriamky iikh rozviazannia” (pp. 148–151). – Lviv: LPNU (in Ukrainian).
19. Lobashov, A. O. & Burko, D. L. (2013). Vlianie urovnia avtomobilizatsii na parametru transportnykh potokov [Impact of motorization level on traffic flow parameters]. Tekhnologicheskii audit i rezervu proizvodstva – Technological audit and production reserves. Volume 5(13), 16–19 (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.15587/2312-8372.2013.18387