The paper presents issues related with detection and location of earth faults in medium voltage (MV) networks. Attention is paid on cable and cable-overhead lines. The criterion value – cable screen earthing current is presented. Afterwards, the method of utilization of the cable screen earthing current for detection and location of earth faults is described. The next part of the paper presents the results of simulation research for different variants of earth faults in cable and cable-overhead lines. The presented relations are the basis of the developed algorithm of detection and localization of earth faults. The presented considerations were confirmed by an experiment performed in the MV network.
- ENERGY.2012.7.1.1 THEME (2012) Integration of Variable Distributed Resources in Distribution Networks.
- CIRED WG03 (1999) Fault Management in Electrical Distribution Systems.
- Linciks J., Baranovskis D. (2009) Single Phase Earth Fault Location in the Medium Voltage Distribution Networks. Scientific Proceeding of Riga Technical University, 25(25):13-18, https://doi.org/10.2478/v10144-009-0002-6
- Farughian A., Kumpulainen L., Kauhaniemi K. (2019) Earth Fault Location Using Negative Sequence Currents. Energies, 12, 3759. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12193759
- Jensena C.F., Nanayakkarab O.M.K.K., Rajapakseb A.D., Gudmundsdottira U.S., Bak C.L. (2014) Online fault location on AC cables in underground Transmission systems using sheath currents. Electric Power System Research, 115, 74-79, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2014.04.002.
- Hoppel W., Sieluk W., Czarnecki D. (2019) Zabezpieczenie podimpedancyjne w terminalach polowych CZIP-PRO dla linii sredniego napięcia. Wiadomosci Elektrotechniczne, 87(6), 31-36, https://doi.org/10.15199/74.2019.6.6
- Tutvedt Anders K., Sqguin R., Kjolle G., Simonsen S., Skoglund Hermansen T., Myhr I. (2017) Smart fault handling in medium-voltage distribution grid. 24th International Conference & Exhibition on Electricity Distribution, Glasgow. https://doi.org/10.1049/oap-cired.2017.0883
- Rajalakshmi B., Kalaivani L. (2015) Analysis of Partial Discharge in Underground Cable Joints. IEEE Sponsored 2nd International Conference on Innovations in Information Embedded and Communication Systems. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIIECS.2015.7193000
- IEEE Power Engineering Society (2003) IEEE Guide for Selection and Design of Aluminum Sheaths for Power Cables.: IEEE Std 635™.
- Moser A. (2014) Power System III - Faults and Stability in Power Systems. Lecture Notes, Aachen.
- Łowczowski K. (2020) Detection of Earth Faults in MV Cable Lines Using Electrical Quantities Measured in Cable Screens. Doctoral thesis, Poznań, Poland. (in Polish)
- Energotest (2015) The family of IO earth fault transformers. User manual. Gliwice, Poland. (in Polish)
- Lorenc J. (2007) Admittance earth-fault protection. Publishing House of Poznań University of Technology, Poznań, Poland. (in Polish)
- Łowczowski K., Lorenc J., Andruszkiewicz J., Nadolny Z., Zawodniak J. (2019) Novel Earth Fault Protection Algorithm Based on MV Cable Screen Zero Sequence Current Filter, Energies, 12, 3190. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12163190.
- Łowczowski K., Lorenc J., Zawodniak J., Dombek G. (2020) Detection and Location of Earth Fault in MV Feeders Using Screen Earthing Current Measurements. Energies, 13, 1293. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13051293.
K. Łowczowski, J. Lorenc, M. Czerniak, J. Zawodniak. Utilization of cable screen earthing current for detection and location of earth faults in medium voltage networks. Energy Engineering and Control Systems, 2021, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 17 – 25. https://doi.org/10.23939/jeecs2021.01.017