Image inpainting is an important research area in image processing. Its main purpose is to supplement missing or damaged domains of images using information from surrounding areas. This step can be performed by using nonlinear diffusive filters requiring a resolution of partial differential evolution equations. In this paper, we propose a filter defined by a partial differential nonlinear evolution equation with spatial fractional derivatives. Due to this, we were able to improve the performance obtained by known inpainting models based on partial differential equations and extend certain existing results in image processing.
The discretization of the fractional partial differential equation of the proposed model is carried out using the shifted Grünwald–Letnikov formula, which allows us to build stable numerical schemes.
The comparative analysis shows that the proposed model produces an improved image quality better or comparable to that obtained by various other efficient models known from the literature.
- Bertalmio M., Sapiro G., Caselles V., Ballester C. Image Inpainting. Proceedings of the 27th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques – SIGGRAPH '00. 417–424 (2000).
- Boujena S., El Guarmah E., Gouasnouane O., Pousin J. An Improved Nonlinear Model for Image Restoration. Pure and Applied Functional. 2 (4), 599–623 (2017).
- Boujena S., El Guarmah E., Gouasnouane O., Pousin J. On a derived non linear model in image restoration. Proceedings of 2013 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Systems Management (IESM). 1–3 (2013).
- Boujena S., Bellaj K., Gouasnouane O., El Guarmah E. An improved nonlinear model for image inpainting. Applied Mathematical Sciences. 9 (124), 6189–6205 (2015).
- Boujena S., Bellaj K., Gouasnouane O., El Guarmah E. One approach for image denoising based on finite element method and domain decomposition technique. International Journal of Applied Physics and Mathematics. 7 (2), 141–147 (2017).
- Chan T. F., Shen J. Mathematical models for local nontexture inpaintings. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics. 62 (3), 1019–1043 (2002).
- Chan T. F., Shen J. Nontexture inpainting by curvature driven diffusions (CDD). Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation. 12 (4), 436–449 (2001).
- Gouasnouane O., Moussaid N., Boujena S. A Nonlinear Fractional Partial Differential Equation for Image Denoising. Third International Conference on Transportation and Smart Technologies (TST). 59–64 (2021).
- Sayah A., Moussaid N., Gouasnouane O. Finite difference method for Perona–Malik model with fractional derivative and its application in image processing. 2021 Third International Conference on Transportation and Smart Technologies (TST). 101–106 (2021).
- Li H., Yu Z., Zhou J. Fractional differential and variational method for image fusion and super-resolution. Neurocomputing. 171, 138–148 (2016).
- Chen D., Chen Y., Xue D. 1-D and 2-D digital fractional-order Savitzky–Golay differentiator. Signal, Image and Video Processing. 6 (3), 503–511 (2012).
- Cuesta E., Codes J. Image processing by means of a linear integro-differential equation. 3rd IASTED Int. Conf. Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing. 1, 438–442 (2003).
- Didasa S., Burgeth B., Imiya A., Weickert J. Regularity and scalespace properties of fractional high order linear filtering. Scale Spaces and PDE Methods in Computer Vision. Scale-Space 2005. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 3459, 13–25 (2005).
- Ben-Loghfyry A., Hakim A. Time-fractional diffusion equation for signal and image smoothing. Mathematical Modeling and Computing. 9 (2), 351–364 (2022).
- Zhang Y., Pu Y. F., Zhou J. Two new nonlinear PDE image inpainting models. Computer Science for Environmental Engineering and EcoInformatics. CSEEE 2011. Communications in Computer and Information Science. 158, 341–347 (2011).
- Zhang Y., Pu Y. F., Hu J., Zhou J. L. A class of fractional-order variational image inpainting models. Applied Mathematics & Information Sciences. 6 (2), 299–306 (2012).
- Bosch J., Stoll M. A fractional inpainting model based on the vector-valued cahn-hilliard equation. SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences. 8 (4), 2352–2382 (2015).
- Perona P., Malik J. Scale-espace and edge detection using anisotropic diffusion. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 12 (7), 429–439 (1990).
- Changpin L., Fanhai Z. Numerical Methods for Fractional Calculus. CRC Press (2015).
- Meerschaert M., Tadjeran C. Finite difference approximations for fractional advection-dispersion flow equations. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 172 (1), 65–77 (2004).
- Oldham K., Spanier J. The Fractional Calculus. Academic Press, New York (1974).