The purpose. The purpose of this study is to reveal the features of the method of design thinking. Analyze design thinking, which consists of stages such as empathizing, defining, ideating, prototype, and testing. Introduce design techniques and tools that should be used at each stage of this process. Present the differences between the methods in the traditional (application of logical thinking) and non-standard (design thinking) approach.
Design/Methodology/Approach . The study examines the hypothesis that applying the design thinking method in the context of a crisis is quite adequate, particularly in doing business during the COVID-19 pandemic. General scientific theoretical methods of research, particularly formalization, analysis, synthesis, systematization, and explanation, have been used to study the essence, advantages, and comparative characteristics of design thinking methods.
Conclusions. The studies have shown that design thinking is cross-functional, customer-oriented, resource-saving, creative, and versatile. This confirms the hypothesis that this method should be used in times of crisis and the period of recovery. The practical application of design thinking requires a complete and clear understanding of its capabilities, the availability of the necessary resources, and all participants' interest in the observed outcome.
The practical consequences/results of this study are of interest to managers and company heads who want to rethink and change the work processes, particularly regarding decision-making against the background of uncertainty. The quality and effectiveness of applying the design thinking method will depend on the qualification and efficiency of the team performance. It has been suggested to approach teams' formation carefully – they should balance analytical and design thinking in the best possible way. Team members must be aware of the challenge and diversity of use of their experience, including all functions starting from research and development to marketing and sales. For successful work, teams need to be given maximum independence; specific rules or restrictions must be general and minimal. The application of design thinking must be continuous. In general, this should be a way of doing business, not separate project works.
Originality/value. This study emphasizes the effectiveness of the design thinking method and its incomplete application in domestic companies. It indicates the advantages, disadvantages, and differences from traditional methods. It is valuable for a deeper understanding and application in practice by managers at different levels.
1. Burnett Bill, Evans Dave (2019). Dyzain-myslennia. Sproektui svoie zhyttia [Design Thinking. Designing your life] / trans. from English by Valeriia Hlinka. 2nd edition. К.: Nash format, 224 p.
2. Thaler Richard (2018). Povedinkova ekonomika. Yak emotsii vplyvaiut na ekonomichni rishennia [Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics] / trans. from English by Svitlana Krykunenko. К.: Nash format, 464 p.
3. Press releases. International study Deloitte 2021. Human Capital Trends. Retrieved from: https://www2.deloitte.com/ua/uk/pages/about-deloitte/press-releases/gx-2....
4. Brown T. Dyzain myslennia v biznesi. vid rozrobky novykh produktiv do proektuvannia biznes-modelei [Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation]. Retrieved from: http://www.management.com.ua/books/ view-books.php?id=1229.
5. Volkova, T., & Jākobsone, I. (2016). Design thinking as a business tool to ensure continuous value generation. Intellectual Economics, 10(1), рр.. 63-69.
6. Lisovska L.S. Terebukh A. A., Hatsuk M. M. (2019). Obgruntuvannia suchasnykh modelei ta systemy pidtrymky orhanizatsiinoi tvorchosti. [Substantiation of modern models and systems of organizational creativity support] Journal of Lviv Polytechnic National University. Series of Economics and Management Issues. Ed. 3, рр. 99-112.
7. Storonianska I., Benovska L. (2020). Ekonomika rehioniv Ukrainy pid diieiu vyklykiv pandemii COVID19 [Economy of the regions of Ukraine influenced by the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic] Scientific and practical journal "Regional Economy", No. 2 (96), SI "M. I. Dolishniy Institute of Regional Research of NAS of Ukraine", рр. 5-16.
8. Elsbach, K. D., & Stigliani, I. (2018). Design Thinking and Organizational Culture: A Review and Framework for Future Research. Journal of Management, 44(6), рр. 2274-2306. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206317744252
9. Kolto J. (2015). Design Thinking Comes of Age. Harvard Business Review, (September), рр. 1-10. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1145/2180868.2180874
10. Stigliani I. (2018). Design Thinking - The Key To Successful Innovation? Retrieved March 7, 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/imperialinsights/2018/02/14/design-thinking... 6b53efae301e.
11. Meenakshi Kaushik, Neha Guleria (2020) The Impact of Pandemic COVID-19 in Workplace. European Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 12, No. 15, рр. 9-18.
12. Hernandez R. J., Cooper R., Tether В. B., Murphy Е. (2018) Design, the Language of Innovation: a review of the design studies literature. The journal of design, economics, and innovation. Vol. 4, Issue 3, рр. 249-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sheji.2018.06.001
13. Lihonenko L. (2020). Dyzain v upravlinni biznesom: novi predmetni sfery vykorystannia terminu [Design in business management: new subject areas of use of the term], рр. 327-330. Retrieved from: https://ir.kneu.edu.ua/bitstream/handle/2010/32953/sism_20_327330.pdf?se....
14. Orliv M. (2020) Rozvytok liudskykh resursiv ta orhanizatsiinoi kultury v derzhavnykh orhanakh: vykorystannia tekhnolohii dyzain-myslennia [Development of human resources and organizational culture in public bodies: the use of design thinking technology]. Public management and administration in Ukraine, Issue 19, рр. 76-81.
15. Ferrazzi К. Never Eat Alone. (2014). Expander and Updated: and Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time. New York: Crown Business, 400 p.
16. Chukhray N., Bespaliuk Kh. (2019). Studing the Values of Professions for the Millennials as Subject of the Labor Market [w:] Zarządzanie kapitałem ludzkim w uczelniach, Społeczna Akademia Nauk, Łodz, рр. 163-179.
17. Bespaliuk K. Savonina N. (2018). Typy novovveden: pryklady zastosuvannia marketynhu [Types of innovations: examples of marketing application]. Abstracts of the reports at the XII International Scientific and Practical Conference "Marketing and Logistics in Management", рр. 14-16.
18. Dlihach A. (2014). Systemno-refleksyvnyi marketynh [System-reflexive marketing]. К.: Alerta, 400 p.
19. Rossokha V., Cherednikova E. (2020). Marketynhovi tekhnolohii proektuvannia produktu [Marketing technologies of product design]. Efficient economy, No. 6. Retrieved from: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/ ?op=1&z=7940. DOI: https://doi.org/10.32702/2307-2105-2020.6.4
20. Dunne, D. (2018). Implementing design thinking in organizations: an exploratory study. J. Org. Design, 7, 16. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s41469-018-0040-7