The Ukrainian stock market has a huge potential for development, but many systemic problems hold it back. The purpose of the study was to develop proposals for the use of international experience in regulating the stock market of Ukraine. To achieve the goal, the current state of development of the stock market of Ukraine was analyzed and its main problems were identified. It is revealed that the nominal indicators of the volume of the stock market have been decreasing since 2015, but qualitatively the market is developing. The number of organizers of exchange trades and the number of new issues of securities decreased, many licenses to work on the stock market were revoked. At the same time, the responsibility of exchange traders is growing, information sharing is improving, and most traders adhere to accepted trading principles.
The article analyzes the legislative changes in the regulation of the stock market, which have occurred since the signing of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU. Separately identified elements of the stock market and technological processes of stock trading, requiring increased government regulation. Despite the increased level of institutional independence of the NSSMC and improvements in depository and clearing activities, the current legal framework allows owners of large businesses to forcibly buy out minority shareholders’ shares. There are almost no shares of large profitable enterprises for free sale, and the level of monopolization of key sectors of the national economy is too high.
The results of the analysis of U.S. laws and EU directives regulating the operation of stock markets, allowed to formulate proposals for the use of the experience of developed countries in the practice of reforming the stock market in Ukraine. In particular, changes are proposed regarding the obligation of issuers to ensure a minimum free float of their securities, strengthening accountability for violations on the stock market, streamlining the work of investment companies (funds) of various types, investment incentives in the real economy, protecting investors’ rights and providing large stock exchanges with the status of self-regulatory organizations.
Proposed measures for the development of legal regulation of the Ukrainian stock market will bring us closer to ESMA standards, to sign a Multilateral Memorandum of Understanding concerning consultation, cooperation and the exchange of information with IOSCO, increase overall market capitalization and liquidity of the market and allow the Ukrainian economy to attract capital on favorable terms.
1. Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom, Yevropeiskym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i yikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi storony [Association Agreement between Ukraine, of the one part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community, and their Member States, of the other part]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_011 (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ehglish).
2. Objectives and Principles of Securities Regulation. International Organization of Securities Commissions. URL: https://www.iosco.org/library/pubdocs/pdf/IOSCOPD561.pdf (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ehglish).
3. Krasnova, I.V. (2014). Fondovyi rynok v Ukraini: stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku [Stock market in Ukraine: state and prospects of development]. Problemy ekonomiky [Problems of the economy], No. 1, P. 129-134 (in Ukrainian).
4. Tretiakova O. V., Kharabara V. M., Hreshko R. I. (2020). Fondovyi rynok Ukrainy: osoblyvosti funktsionuvannia v suchasnykh umovakh [The stock market of Ukraine: features of functioning in modern conditions]. Ekonomika ta derzhava [Economy and state], No. 5, P. 103-107 (in Ukrainian).
5. Matseliukh N. P. (2019). Indykatory rozvytku fondovykh rynkiv ta vyklyky dlia Ukrainy [Stock market development indicators and challenges for Ukraine]. Ekonomichnyi visnyk. Seriia: finansy, oblik, opodatkuvannia [Economic Bulletin. Series: finance, accounting, taxation], Vol. 3, P. 144-154 (in Ukrainian).
6. Chepulchenko T. O., Monarshuk A. O. (2020). Pravove rehuliuvannia fondovoho rynku v Ukraini: problematyka ta perspektyvy rozvytku [Legal regulation of the stock market in Ukraine: issues and prospects for development]. Pravo i suspilstvo [Law and society], No. 2 (2), P. 276-282 (in Ukrainian).
7. Melnyk V. V. (2019). Pravove rehuliuvannia depozytarnoi ta klirynhovoi diialnosti v Ukraini: monohrafiia [Legal regulation of depository and clearing activities in Ukraine: monograph]. Kyiv: Lira-K Publishing House. 256 p. (in Ukrainian).
8. Blikhar M., Vovk V., Shevchenko N., Kokhaniuk T., Dobosh Z. (2021). Directions of offense prevention in the stock market of Ukraine. Financial and credit activities: problems of theory and practice, No. 3, P. 437-446 (in Ehglish).
9. Iemelianova L. O. (2020). Koreliatsiinyi analiz dynamiky fondovykh indeksiv krain svitu ta Ukrainy [Correlation analysis of the dynamics of stock indices of the world and Ukraine]. Ekonomichnyi prostir [Economic space], No. 153, P. 11-17 (in Ukrainian).
10. Kuzheliev M., Rekunenko I., Boldova A., Zhytar M., Stabias S. (2019). Modeling of structural and temporal characteristics in the corporate securities market of Ukraine. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, Vol. 16, Issue 2, P. 260-269 (in Ehglish).
11. Kuzhelev M. O., Zhytar M. O., Stabias S. M., Nemsadze G. G. (2019). Analysis of the current state of the corporate securities market of Ukraine. Finansovo-kredytna diialnist: problemy teorii ta praktyky [Financial and credit activities: problems of theory and practice], Vol. 2(29), P. 150-158 (in Ehglish).
12. Ofitsiinyi sait Natsionalnoi komisii z tsinnykh paperiv ta fondovoho rynku Ukrainy [Official site of the National Commission on Securities and Stock Market of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://www.nssmc.gov.ua/news/insights/#tab-dov (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
13. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro vnesennia zmin do deiakykh zakonodavchykh aktiv Ukrainy shchodo udoskonalennia funktsii iz derzhavnoho rehuliuvannia rynkiv finansovykh posluh" vid 12.09.2019 r. № 79-IX zi zminamy № 361-IX vid 06.12.2019 r. [Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Concerning the Improvement of Functions on State Regulation of Financial Services Markets" of September 12, 2019 № 79-IX as amended № 361-IX of December 6, 2019]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/79-20#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
14. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro depozytarnu systemu Ukrainy" vid 06.07.2012 r. No 5178-VI zi zminamy No 1587-IX vid 30.06.2021 r. [Law of Ukraine "On the Depository System of Ukraine" dated 06.07.2012 № 5178-VI as amended № 1587-IX dated 30.06.2021]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5178-17#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
15. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro derzhavne rehuliuvannia rynkiv kapitalu ta orhanizovanykh tovarnykh rynkiv" vid 30.10.1996 r. No 448/96-VR zi zminamy No 1587-IX vid 30.06.2021 r. [Law of Ukraine "On state regulation of capital markets and organized commodity markets" of 30.10.1996 № 448/96-VR as amended № 1587-IX of 30.06.2021]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/448/96-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
16. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro instytuty spil'noho investuvannya" vid 05.07.2012 r. No 5080-VI zi zminamy № 738- IX vid 19.06.2020 r. [Law of Ukraine "On Joint Investment Institutions" dated 05.07.2012 № 5080-VI as amended № 738-IX dated 19.06.2020]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5080-17#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
17. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro rynky kapitalu ta orhanizovani tovarni rynky" vid 23 liutoho 2006 roku N 3480-IV zi zminamy No 738-IX vid 19.06.2020 r. [Law of Ukraine "On Capital Markets and Organized Commodity Markets" of February 23, 2006 N 3480-IV as amended № 738-IX of 19.06.2020]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3480-15#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
18. Rishennia NKTsPFR "Pro zatverdzhennia Polozhennia pro funktsionuvannia fondovykh birzh" vid 22.11.2012 r. No 1688 zi zminamy No14 vid 14.01.2021 r. [Decision of the NSSMC "On approval of the Regulations on the operation of stock exchanges" dated 22.11.2012 № 1688 as amended № 14 dated 14.01.2021]. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z2082-12#Text (accessed 10.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
19. Official site of US Securities and Exchange Commission.Retrieved from: https://www.investor.gov/introduction- investing/investing-basics/role-sec/laws-govern-securities-industry (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
20. Official site of Bank of New York Mellon. Regulations on Central Securities Depositories. Retrieved from: https://www.pershing.com/uk/en/news/what-is-big-in-our-world/regulation/... (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
21. Official site of European Securities and Markets Authority. EU acts. Retrieved from: https://www.esma.europa.eu/rules-databases-library/eu-acts-and-national-... (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
22. Official site of European Commission. Derivatives / EMIR. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/business- economy-euro/banking-and-finance/financial-markets/post-trade-services/derivatives-emir_en#equivalence-decisions-under-emir (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
23. Department of Financial Markets of France. The Benchmarks Regulation. Retrieved from: https://www.amf- france.org/en/news- publications/depth/benchmark#:~:text=The%20Benchmarks%20Regulation%20introduces%20requirements,code%2 0of%20conduct%20for%20contributors (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
24. Official site of London Stock Exchange Group. Securities Financing Transactions Regulation. Retrieved from: https://www.lseg.com/markets-products-and-services/post-trade/unavista/r... regulation (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).
25. World Bank Working Paper № 184. Comparing European and U.S. Securities Regulations MiFID versus Corresponding U.S.). Retrieved from: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/13528/52460.p... (accessed 14.08.2021) (in Ukrainian).