Aim. An annual increase in the amount of wasteburied at the solid waste landfill has forced the necessity to control activity of such communal and private enterprises and carry out both ecological and engineering performance monitoring. The parameters controlled by engineering monitoring include geometric size of land parcels, size and dynamics of the waste body, control for spreading of sewage disposal, and other numerical parameters which can be obtained by geodesic methods and by means of remote measuring. To define particularities of performance of solid waste landfills in the past, it is important to use data from archive paper maps and materials from aerial surveys. These materials can be used to solve some scientific and practical tasks, and thus, there is a need to design a correct presentation of archive data in geoinformational systems and develop technologies to acquire geodata from archive maps and images by means of modern instruments. The main aim of the work is to determine space-time peculiarities of the performance of the Lviv city landfill for the last 60 years. Methodology and results of the work. According to the set goal, the authors of this article collected and analyzed archive cartographic materials, designed from 1950 to 2006 in the territory of Lviv city landfill. Using topographic maps of 1972, 1985, 1991, drawn at the scales of 1: 10 000 and 1: 25 000. The research determines the area of the land of waste storage for the corresponding period and defines space-time peculiarities of the landfill performance. The work studies archive aerial images of 1988, making a base for the development of a digital terrain model for the determination of the quantitative parameters of the Lviv city landfill, in particular its area and capacity. Basing on the topographic plan of 2006, the work developed a digital terrain model. Scientific novelty and practical value. In Ukraine, retrospective-geographic analysis of the Lviv city landfill in the period from 1950-2006, was first made from the base of archive materials. Results of the analysis supply a possibility to define tendencies of changes of space-time particularities of its performance, which include the design of digital terrain models and determination of geometric parameters of the solid waste landfill. The obtained results of geoinformational modelling presented in the work can serve for specialists in the field of waste handling (specialists of housing and utilities infrastructure, ecological inspection, and scientific-research organizations) to control the keeping to the rules of solid waste landfill misuse.
1. Brilis, G. M., Gerlach, C. L., van Waasbergen, R. J., Remote sensing tools assist in environmental forensics. Part I: traditional methods. J. Environ. Forensics, 2000, no. 1, pp. 63–67.
2. Chetverikov B. V., Bidyuk Kh. I. The technology of creating a digital terrain models on the example of the ensemble of defensive structures "Citadel" (Lviv). Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography. Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 2014, no. 80, pp. 111–119.
3. Chetverikov B. V., Protsyk M. T. Determination of places of mass graves during the Second World War using GIS-technologies. Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography. Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 2015, no. 81, pp. 104–111.
4. Erb, T. L.; Philipson, W. R.; Teng, W. L. Analysis of landfills with historic airphotos. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 1981, 47 (3), 190–203.
5. Garofalo, D., Wobber F., Solid Waste and Remote Sensing, Photogrammetric Engineering. 1974, v. 40, no. 1, pp. 45−59.
6. Hryts'kiv N. Z., Horlatova V. O. Investigation of dynamic processes on mining and industrial objects by methods of geoinformation modeling. Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography. L.: Izd Nat. Univ "Lviv Polytechnic", 2014, no. 80, pp. 91–100.
7. Hulyk S. M. Methodical approaches to the study of landscapes on the basis of multi-time maps. Ecological geography: history, theory, practice: Materials of II Intern. sciences conf. Ternopil, 2004, pp. 43–45.
8. Kaliaskarova K Modern condition of locations of municipal solid waste in a residential buffer suburb of the city of Almaty. Available at http://uest.ntua.gr/athens2017/proceedings/pdfs/Athens2017_Kaliaskarova_...
9. Kwarteng A., Al-Enezi. Assessment of Kuwait's Al-Qurain Landfill Using Remotely Sensed Data. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A: Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering. 2004, vol. 39, issue 2, pp. 351–364.
10. Lath, H. A., G. W. Tannehill, and R- E. White, 1976. Remote Sensing Evidence and Environmental Law. California Law Review, vol. 64, represent. pp. 1300–1446.
11. Lozynskyi V. А. Analysis of modern metods to obtain data to determine the volumes of waste and sediments. [Modern achievements of geodesic science and industry]. Lviv. 2015. Issue ІІ(30), pp. 87–97.
12. Lozynskyi V. А., Nikulishyn V. I., Tretyak K. R., Shylo Ye. O. Methodology for determining the volume of the Lviv city landfill using archival cartographic materials and UAV TRIMBLE UX-5. Geodesy, cartography and aerial photography. Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 2016, no. 82, pp. 61–82.
13. Nychaya O. O. Retrospektyvno-heohrafichnyy analiz zabudovy yak vydu pryrodokorystuvannya na terytoriyi Volyns'koyi vysochyny (na prykladi volyns'koyi oblasti. Actual problems of modern science. Lviv, 2015, part. ІІ, pp. 20–22.
14. Qingsheng, L. Gaohuan, L.(2010). Using CBERS CCD Images to Monitor Dynamic Change of Jiaojiapo Waste Landfill Site, Environmental Sanitation Engineering. 18 (5), 17–20.
15. Seker, D. Z., Kaya, S., Musaoglu, N., Demirel, H., Tanik, A., Sertel E. Spatial Analyses for Environmental Impacts of Landfill Areas. Survival and Sustainability , Environmental Earth Sciences, Chapter: Spatial Analyses for Environmental Impacts of Landfill Areas, 2011, 691–697. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-95991-5_63
16. Slonecker, E. T. Remote Sensing Investigations of Fugitive Soil Arsenic and Its Effects on Vegetation Reflectance: Ph.D. Dissertation. Fairfax, USA, 2007, 240 p.
17. Slonecker, E. T. "The Use of Historical Imagery in the Remediation of an Urban Hazardous Waste Site," in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 281–291, June 2011. doi: 10.1109/JSTARS.2010.2049254
18. Slonecker, T., G. B. Fisher, D. P. Aiello, B. Haack. Visible and Infrared Remote Imaging of Hazardous Waste: A Review. Remote Sensing. 2010, no. 2, pp. 2474−2508.
19. Sossa R. І. History of mapping the territory of Ukraine. Кyiv, 2007. p. 336.
20. Vincent R. K. Remote sensing for solid waste landfills and hazardous waste sites. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. 1994, no. 60, pp. 979−982.
21. Volik О. V., Svynko Y. M., Dem"yanchuk P. M. Anthropogenic transformation of the nature of the "Medobory" reserve and adjoining territories during the twentieth century. Protection and management of inhumane nature objects in protected areas, Jura, Ternopil, 2008, pp. 54–57.