The article deals with the experience of creating strategic reserves (stockpiles) of oil,
petroleum products and natural gas as a key instrument in ensuring energy security in the
event of a supply crisis and a factor to remain economy functioning in Central European States –
Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary. All these states have common feature – they
are highly dependent on import of oil and gas, most of them have approximately 100 % import
dependency almost from one source – Russian Federation. As result, they are extremely
vulnerable to energy crisis, which may be provoked by political reasons. On the level of
European Union and International Energy Agency, emergency response system has next four
pillar elements: stockpiling system, demand restraint measures, fuel switching (temporarily
replacing with other energy sources) and surge production. In particular, were characterized
models of functioning of such reserves (Public and Industry and their sub-models), regulatory
framework and system of demand restraint measures. However, all above-mentioned states
have common system of emergency response and demand restraint measures, put in place a
National Energy Strategy Organisation as central body for coordination emergency policy.
But, each of them have their own experience regarding creating of stockpiles system counting
peculiarities of their regional development, oil market structure, national policy choices etc.
For example, Slovakia recently had changed its model of oil reserves, Hungary was first in the
region and in EU to introduce gas-stockpiling system with necessary legislative amendments,
Poland has strengthened role of state in its stockpiling system. Regarding demand restraint
measures, which aim rapidly to reduce consumption in a crisis, it necessary to underline that
Central European States mostly have implemented them and prescribed them in their national
regulatory documents. The degree, to which measures could be applied can range from light
handed (such as public information campaign) to more medium and heavy-handed compulsory
measures (driving restrictions and fuel rationing). Hungary has implemented demand restraint
measures from 1979, what can be counted as the oldest developed system of demand restraint
measures in Central Europe. Other measures for supply crisis reaction and management such
as fuel-switching and surge of oil and gas production have no significant potential in above
Given own opinion about usefulness of researched states experience for Ukraine as it has
according to its obligations within Energy Community and according to Ukraine – EU
Association Agreement to create its own stockpiling system until 2022.
Key words: energy crisis, energy policy, strategic reserves (stockpiles) of oil, petroleum
products and natural gas, models of functioning of stocks – Industry, Public, State, Agency,
demand restraint measures, production surge, fuel-switching
1.Unigovskiy L. M., Kotliarevskiy V. A., Hlushchenko G. L. Tasks and prospects for creating a system of strategic (minimum) oil and petroleum products stocks in Ukraine Retrieved from: http://www.ngbi.com.ua/analytics.html
2. Creation of strategic stocks of oil and petroleum products in Ukraine: current situation, problems, search of ways of development based on international experience. (2007) Analytical report of the Razumkov Center. - National Security and Defense, 2007, № 4 Retrieved from : http://razumkov.org.ua/uploads/journal/ukr/NSD88_2007_ukr.pdf
3. Scientific-practical conference: the main principles, tasks and mechanisms for the implementation of energy security, (2014) Retrieved from: http://www.niss.gov.ua/public/File/2014_table/1223_Ryabtcev.pdf
4. Agreement on an International Energy Program (2014) Retrieved from : http://www.iea.org/media/about/iep.pdf
5. Council Directive 2009/119/EC of 14 September 2009 imposing an obligation on Member States to maintain minimum stocks of crude oil and/or petroleum products. Retrieved from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32009L0119&...
6. Regulation (eu) no 994/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 October 2010 concerning measures to safeguard security of gas supply and repealing Council Directive 2004/67/EC. Retrieved from: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:295:0001:...
7. Energy Supply Security (Emergency response of IEA Countries 2014), Retrieved from: http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/ENERGYSUPPL...
8. Oil security, Retrieved from: http://www.sshr.cz/proverejnost/Stranky/ropna_bezpecnost.aspx
9. Energy Policies of IEA Countries. (2016) Czech Republic Review. Retrieved from: http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Energy_Poli...
10. Emergency Oil Stocks in the Energy Community Level, Final Report Energy Community 26 April 2011 Retrieved from: https://www.energycommunity.org/documents/studies.html.
11. Energy Policies of IEA Countries. Hungary (2017) Retrieved from: http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/EnergyPolic... Review.pdf
12. Workshop on Emergency Oil Stocks Retrieved from : https://www.energy-community.org/events/2016/04/WS_Oil.html
13. Energy Policies of IEA Countries. (2012) The Slovak Republic review. Retrieved from: http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Slovak2012_...
14. Energy Policies of IEA Countries. (2016) Poland Review. Retrieved from: http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Energy_Poli...
15. Gorbulin V. P. (2017) The World Hybrid War: The Ukrainian Front. Monograph . NISS, 496.
16. Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period of 2035«Security, Energy Efficiency, Competitiveness», Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated August 18, 2017 № 605-р. Retrieved from: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/605-2017-%D1%80
17. Agreement on the association between Ukraine, on the one side, and the European Union, European Atomic Energy Union and their Member States, on the other side. Retrieved from : http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_011/page
18. The Treaty establishing the Energy Community. Retrieved from : http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_926.
19. Practical steps for implementation Directive 2009 \ 119 \ EC Retrieved from : http://rezerv.gov.ua/dyrektyva-2009119es-praktychni-kroky-derzhrezervu-p...
20. Order of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 1498-r «On Approval of the Concept of Establishment of Minimum Oil and Petroleum Stocks in Ukraine for the Period to 2020" from December 08, 2009. Retrieved from: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/1498-2009-%D1%80.
21. Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated September 17, 2014 No. 847 No503-r of June 21, 2017 Retrieved from : http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/503-2017-%D1%80
22. The Law of Ukraine «On the Natural Gas Market», Information Bulletin of the Verkhovna Rada, 2015, № 27, p.234. Retrieved from : http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/main/329-19 .
23. Order of the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine № 687 from 2015 «On Approval of the National Action Plan». Retrieved from : http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1458-15