Strategic environmental assessment is an effective tool for improving the level of environmental safety in various areas. The purpose of the article is to identify and classify the main tasks of strategic environmental assessment in subsoil use, taking into account its role and functions in the subsoil management system, and to suggest ways to improve environmental safety in subsoil use by means of strategic environmental assessment. The materials for the article were the results of many years of authors' research on various aspects of the methodology for assessing the environmental safety of subsoil use and scientific source analysis. The main research methods were comparison, deduction, analysis, synthesis, and classification. The authors grouped the tools of the strategic environmental assessment into five main groups: analytical, organisational, scientific and technical, control and procedural, and media. Analysis of the legal framework determines the need to finalise the draft of the Subsoil Code to take into account the requirements of the Law of Ukraine "On Strategic Environmental Assessment" in the context of carrying out state examination and assessment of reserves and resources of minerals and establishing conditions for mineral raw materials, drafting industrial development (technological scheme) of the deposit. The classification of the tools of strategic environmental assessment in subsoil use is carried out. Analysis of draft legislation in the field of subsoil use shows positive changes in achieving sustainable development goals. Simultaneously, the authors identified some inconsistencies between different legislative acts and projects.
1. Applying Strategic Environmental Assessment Good Practice Guidance For Development Co-operation. (2006). EOCD. Retrieved from: https://www.oecd.org/environment/environment-development/37353858.pdf
2. Commentary of articles on the Law of Ukraine «On strategic environmental assessment». (2019). Environment. People. Law. Retrieved from http://epl.org.ua/human-posts/postatejnyj-komentar-do-zakonu-ukrayiny-pr...
3. Draft Code on subsoil - analysis through the prism of sustainable development and taking into account the interests of all interested parties. (2021). Environment. People. Law. Retrieved from http://epl.org.ua/announces/proyekt-kodeksu-pro-nadra-analiz-cherez-pryzmu-stalogo-rozvytku-ta-vrahuvannya-interesiv-usih-zatsikavlenyh-storin/
4. Draft Law on Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Support for the Development of Domestic Industries of Subsoil Use. (2020). Retrieved from: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=70117
5. Decree of the President of Ukraine «Questions of the National Council on the Recovery of Ukraine from the Consequences of the War». (2022). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/266/2022#Text
6. Guidance on consideration of soil in Strategic Environmental Assessment. (2019). Scottish environment protection agency (SEPA). Retrieved from https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/162986/lups-sea-gu2-consideration-of-soil-in-sea.pdf
7. Karabyn, V., Kolodii, V., Yarontovskyi, O., Kozak, Yu., & Karabyn, O. (2007). Shchodo dynamiky zabrudnennia gruntovykh vod Peredkarpattia u zoni tekhnohenezu rodovyshch nafty. Pratsi naukovoho tovarystva imeni Shevchenka. Heolohichnyi zbirnyk, 19, 182-190.
8. Khorolskyi, A., Hrinov, V., & Kaliushenko, O. (2019). Network models for searching for optimal economic and environ mental strategies for field development. Procedia Environmental Science, Engineering and Management, 6(3), 463-471.
9. Kørnøv, Lone, Lyhne, Ivar & Davila, Juanita (2020). Linking the UN SDGs and environmental assessment: Towards a conceptual framework. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 85, 106463. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2020.106463
10. Kryvinska, N., & Bickel, L. (2020). Scenario-Based Analysis of IT Enterprises Servitization as a Part of Digital Transformation of Modern Economy. Appl. Sci. , 10(3), 1076. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/nr.2015.64022
11. Lazaruk, Y., & Karabyn V. (2020). Shale gas in Western Ukraine: Perspectives, resources, environmental and technogenic risk of production. Pet. and Coal, 62(3), 836-844.
12. Law of Ukraine «On the approval of the National Program for the development of the mineral and raw material base of Ukraine for the period until 2030». (2012). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3268-17#n14
13. Law of Ukraine «On strategic environmental assessment». (2018). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2354-19#Text
14. Malovanyy, M., Petrushka, K., & Petrushka, I. (2019). Improvement of Adsorption-Ion-Exchange Processes for Waste and Mine Water Purification. Chemistry & Chemical Technology, 13(3), 372–376. doi: https://doi.org/10.23939/chcht13.03.372
15. Overuse and environmental protection. Analysis of projects 4187 and 4187-1. (2020). Environment. People. Law. Retrieved from http://epl.org.ua/announces/nadrokorystuvannya-ta-ohorona-dovkillya-anal...
16. Public Consultation. (2022). High-Level Advisory Board (HLAB). Retrieved from https://highleveladvisoryboard.org/public-consultation/
17. Pettersson, M., Oksanen, A., Mingaleva, T., Petrov, V., & Masloboev, V. (2015). License to Mine: A Comparison of the Scope of the Environmental Assessment in Sweden, Finland and Russia. Natural Resources, 6(04), 237-255. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/nr.2015.64022;
18. Popovych V., Bosak P., Petlovanyi, M., Telak O., Karabyn, V., & Pinder V. (2021). Environmental safety of phytogenic fields formation on coal mines tailings. News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Series of Geology and Technical sciences, 2(446), 129-136. doi: https://doi.org/10.32014/2021.2518-170X.44
19. Rauer, J. N., Kroiss, M., Kryvinska, N., Engelhardt-Nowitzki, C., & Aburaia, M. (2021). Cross-university virtual teamwork as a means of internationalization at home. International Journal of Management Education, 19(3), 100512. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijme.2021.100512
20. Role of Mining in National Economies: Mining Contribution Index (3rd edition). (2016). ICMM. Retrieved from https://www.icmm.com/en-gb/research/social-performance/2016/role-of-mining-in-national-economies
21. Report Mineral Resource Governance in the 21st Century. (2020). UNEP. Retrieved from https://www.unep.org/resources/report/mineral-resource-governance-21st-century
22. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine «On Approval of the Concept of the State Target Program for the Fair Transformation of the Coal Regions of Ukraine for the Period Until 2030». (2021). Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1024-2021-%D0%BF#Text
23. Shutiak, S. (2022). Civil safety and environmental safety – indicators of guaranteeing the right to an environment safe for life and health. International Conference «Environmental Security Strategy of Ukraine: Socio-Economic and Legal Dimension». Lviv, Ukraine: LPNU;
24. The role of ESIA and SEA in mainstreaming biodiversity. (2019). The Conference of the Parties (COP). Retrieved from https://www.cbd.int/mainstreaming/doc/seas-mining-en.pdf
25. World Economic Situation and Prospects, 160. (2022). United Nation. Retrieved from https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/publication/world-economic-situation-and-prospects-may-2022-briefing-no-160/