Compressed air is an important medium for energy transfer in industrial processes. It drives various actuators, which create a large force for significant movements and a high operation speed. Thereat, these mechanisms are quite small, and the design is simple and reliable. They are applicable in food and pharmaceutical technologies. Compressed air systems belong to the largest energy consumers at such enterprises. They consist of several compressors, and the drive of one of them is powered by a frequency converter in order to save electrical energy. This is called a multiple air compressor system, and its operation is controlled by a separate controller – master controller. The paper discusses the results of developing the master controller design and its operation algorithm. As an additional informative signal in the developed design of the master controller, air flow rate measurements are used; additionally, the speed of the air flow rate variation is analysed.
- Chris Schmidt, Kelly Kissock (2005) Modeling and Simulation of Air Compressor Energy Use. ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry, July 19-22, pp. 131 – 142. https://aceee.org/files/proceedings/2005/data/index.htm.
- Energy Efficiency of Compressed Air Systems/ Smaeil Mousavi,Sami Kara, Bernard Kornfeld// 21st CIRP Conference on Life Cycle Engineering/ Procedia CIRP,2014. – pp. 313-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2014.06.026
- Neil Mehltretter (2012), “Proper Application of Variable Speed Compressors”. World Energy Engineering Congress, 2012, 999-1015 p.
- Compressed air. Energy efficiency reference guide. CEA Technologies Inc. (2007) Available from https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/energy/pdf/energysta... 2021-04-09
- US Department of Energy. Improving compressed system performance: a sourcebook for industry. –Washington: U.S. Department of EERE, 2003. – 128 p.
- Applications of frequency conversation technology in air-compressor units control system/ Huibin Liang, Xuehua Li/ Procedia Engineering Vol. 15,2011. – pp. 944-948. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.08.174
- Kokoshko, R.V., Kril, O.V., Kril, B.A. Experimental study of functional diagram of air multi-compressor control systems. Perspective technologies and devices, No 16. – Lutsk: Lutsk National Technical University, 2020 – pp. 48-57. ISSN: 2313-5352, Lutsk Ukraine. (in Ukrainian)
- R. Kokoshko, O. Kril, B. Kril. Selection of functional diagram of air multi-compressor control system. Energy Engineering and Control Systems, 2019, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 47 – 56. https://doi.org/10.23939/jeecs2019.01.047