This year we will commemorate 110th death anniversary of Anton Popel, the famous Lviv sculptor of the second half of the 19th century — beginning of the 20th century. His sculptural heritage and vast experience in the decoration of buildings evidenced his big talent as a master of monumental sculpture. Various style directions are closely interconnected in the works of sculpture of the master. Anton Popel often worked over the sculpture decorations of Lviv buildings thus skilfully connecting them with the architecture. It is important and crucial to raise the awareness of the general public about problems of preservation of the architectural and sculptural heritage of the early 20th century. At present, the rich heritage of Anton Popel not only requires publicity in the academic circles and institutions but often needs preservation and engagement of professional specialists for renovation works.
The article covers the process of origination and development of the tradition of honouring the memory of scientific workers of Lviv School of Architecture by the example of the commemoration of the 100th death anniversary of Anton Popel, the famous sculptor of monuments, professor of Lviv Polytechnic Institute, within the framework of the international scientific conference “Anton Popel and Lviv Architectural and Painting School at the Turn of the 20th Century” held in December 2010. The scientific publication demonstrates that holding academic events in honour of the memory of famous representatives of Lviv Polytechnic Institute of the past is an important factor of formation and development of the national self-consciousness of the young generation of the teaching staff and students of the University.
The contribution of Anton Popel into the development of the Lviv School of Architecture as a separate individual is equally important. He was teaching students of the Polytechnic School for over twenty years. He shared his skills and knowledge in design, sculptural decoration and creation of monumental sculptures with students on his course in Modelling.
The role of the creative personality who laid the foundation for the development of the architectural school and formed the image of Lviv sculptural arts of the end of the 19th century — early 20th century is undoubtedly noticeable and significant. Traditions of honouring the memory of prominent personalities and events become a necessity of historical comprehension, experience and knowledge exchange with new generations. Higher education institutions were always decisive and initiative in this issue. They formed an academic centre, a centre of the generation of science and innovations, therefore the honouring the memory of prominent figures and graduates of the University was and remains a manifestation of self-consciousness, civic position and self-identification of a higher education institution.
Commemoration of the anniversary of Anton Sulyma Popel — Lviv sculptor, professor of the Technical Academy — is another chance to assess his contribution into the development of monumental sculpture of the end of the 19th century — early 20th century, as well as to honour the memory of the great personality who holds a prominent position in the pleiad of Lviv School of Architecture. His life and academic activity is a sample of dedication to the cause and mission. Honouring the memory of prominent personalities of the past is a moral obligation of the contemporaries, and commemoration of anniversary events and dates is another chance to assess their contribution into formation and development of Lviv Polytechnic University
- Swieykowski E., 1854-1904.Pamiętnik towarzystwa przyjaciół sztuk pięknych w Krakowie / dr. Emmanuel Swieykowski. Kraków: Wydanie Kraków MCMV nakładem towarzystwa przyjaciół sztuk pięknych w Krakowie.
- Piątkowski R., 1911. Pamiętnik wzniesienia i odsłonięcia pomników Tadeusza Kościuszki i Kazimierza Pulawskiego. - Chicago: Nakladem I drukiem związku narodowego polskiego w północej Ameryce.
- Rolle M., 1854-1904. Antonie Popiel. Źeszyt, poświęcony «Towarzystwu szkoły ludowej». Nasz kraj. Zeszyt 11, Kraków.
- Błoński P., 1983. Popiel Antoni. Polski Słownik Biograficzny. - T. XXVII/3. - Z. 114. - Warszawa.
- Biriulow, Y., 2003. Antoni Popiel - Twórca pomnika Mckiewicza. Studia o artystach XVIII− XX wiku.-Toruń.
- Biryulov, Y. 2012. Vydatnyy mayster lvivskoyi monumentalnoyi skulptury A. Popel. Visnyk natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika». Arkhitektura. №731. Lviv: Vydavnytstvo Lvivskoyi politekhniky.
- Petrovska Yu., 2012. Antoni Sulima Popiel - a student and a teacher. Proceedings of the National Aviation University: scientific journal. №2(51). Kyiv. https://doi.org/10.18372/2306-1472.51.2174
- Petrovska Yu., 2014. Vklad Antona Popelya ta yoho uchniv u rozvytok lvivskoyi skulptury. Tradytsiyi ta novatsiyi u vyshchiy arkhitekturno-khudozhniy osviti: zbirka naukovykh prats. №1. Kharkiv: Vydavnytstvo KHDADM.
- Petryshyn H.P., Petrovska Yu.R., 2011. Tvorchyy vnesok mytsiv Lvivskoyi politekhniky v arkhitekturnu spadshchynu Lvova zlamu ХІХ-ХХ st. Problemy teoryy y ystoryy arkhytektury Ukrayny. Vyp.11. Odesa: Astroprynt.
- Idak Yu.V., 2014. Villa Sulyma. Istoriya stvorennya. Tradytsiyi ta novatsiyi u vyshchiy arkhitekturno-khudozhniy osviti: zbirka naukovykh prats. №1. Kharkiv: Vydavnytstvo KHDADM.
- Linda S.M., 2015. Tvorchist Antona Popelya u konteksti reprezentatsiyi ideyi «arkhitektury, shcho hovoryt». Suchasni problemy arkhitektury ta mistobuduvannya. №38. Kyiv: KNUBA.
- Bilinska, O.B., 2013. Portaly z orderom u tvorchosti A. Popelya. Visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika». Arkhitektura. № 757. Lviv: Vydavnytstvo Lvivskoyi politekhniky.