The article analyzes encyclicals of Pope of Rome John XXIII, which are dedicated to the issue of threats to international security and global peace. John XXIII investigated treatment of the concept of “signs of timе” and their interpretation in terms of the Cold War and the Caribbean crisis. The main provisions of letters and encyclicals of John XXIII are analyzed, applying analytical, systematic, structural and functional methods and content analysis. As a result, their significant contribution to peace and security is revealed. The Pope provides characteric view on scientific and technological progress of mankind in all its positive and negative aspects, such as arms race, emergence of modern weapons of mass destruction, division of the world into parties and blocks, etc. Those characteristics were treated as unique signs of the time which requires immediate and adequate solution for the whole universal community, international organizations, each state itself, and the Church. Thus, the Pope John XXIII interprets all these negative trends of the modern world as a moral problem which destroys balance between politics and morality. Further on, we investigate position of the Pope John XXIII concerning the need for renewal of the Church and its missionary activities in the context of social and political development. The Second Vatican Council, its Declarations, decrees and constitutions became the result of Pope’s aspirations. Those achievements have opened new opportunities for the Church within new social and political conditions of human society development. Special attention is given to the analysis of John XXIII’s encyclical “Peace on Earth”. It proposes methods, ways, and mechanisms to overcome international conflicts and rebuild the global security system. It is alleged that Pope John XXIII’s recommendations are still relevant today and international community can use them to achieve peace, universal order and ensure global security.
1. Ioan XXIII. Bulla “Humanae salutis” 21.12.1961 / Ioan XXIII. – Russkiy perevod. – Vatikanskaya tipografiya, 1961. – 7 s.
2. Ioan XXIII. Entsiklika. “Mater et magistra” 15.05. 1961 / Ioan XXIII. – Russkiy perevod. – Vatikanskaya tipografiya, 1961. – 59 s.
3. Ioan XXIII. Entsiklika. “Pacem in terris” 11.04.1963 / Ioan XXIII. – Russkiy perevod. – Vatikanskaya tipografiya, 1963. – 53 s.
4. Lortts Y. Istoriya Tserkvi, T. II. / Yozef Lortts. – M. : Hristianskaya Rossiya, 2000. – 579 s.
5. Mayka Yu. Sotsialnoe uchenie Katolicheskoy Tserkvi / Yuzef Mayka. – Rim-Lyublin: Izdatelstvo Svyatogo Kresta, 1994. – 479 s.
6. Nikodim, mitropolit Leningradskiy i Novgorodskiy. Ioan HHIII papa Rimskiy / Nikodim, – Wien: Pro oriente, 1984. – 655 s.
7. Bielecki S. Wkład Kieleckiego środowiska Teologicznego w rozwój teologii znaków czasu / S. Bielecki // W: D. Olszewski, R. Kulikowski, K. Gurda (Red.). Kultura teologiczna Seminarium Duchownego w Kielcach 1772–2002. – Kielce, 2002 – S. 351–368.
8. Bielecki S. Znaki czasu i ich rozpoznawanie / S. Bielecki // W: R. Kamiński (Red.). Teologia pastoralna. T. 1. – Lublin, 2000. – S. 223–248.
9. Moysa S. Znaki czasu a rozeznanie duchowe / S. Moysa // Collektanea Theologicа. – 1997. – No. 47. – S. 24–44.
10. Ricci G. O teologię znaków czasu / G. Ricci, Tłum B. Rożycka // Chrześcijanin w świecie. – 1974. – No. 2. – S. 34–56.