The issue of educational emigration of Ukrainians — going to study abroad to study in the European Universities is considered. The aspects of this phenomenon have been studied. The phenomenon of educational emigration of Ukrainians has its positive and negative sides, which, in the current state of affairs, are much more. Given the scale of this phenomenon, as well as its significant potential impact on the country’s economy, it is advisable to form the principles of management of educational emigration from Ukraine, which should at least minimize the negative effects. In the long run, most of these students will remain working abroad, and the economy is losing a skilled workforce, which will negatively affect GDP, pay taxes to the budget, and develop the economy. It is also worth remembering that Ukraine has invested heavily in the development of young people, local budgets have financed their schooling and other expenses.
Special attention is paid to the consequences for the economy and the system of higher education in Ukraine. The statistical data on the departure of Ukrainians abroad for study have been studied, and the factors influencing this have been identified. The phenomenon of Ukrainian educational emigration against the background of educational emigration in the world is estimated.
The quality of higher education in Ukraine and Poland, as well as the trends of educational emigration in 2020 were also studied. It is concluded that despite the quarantine restrictions, it can only develop due to state regulation of tuition fees in Ukraine and permanent economic instability.
It is proposed to develop the principles of management of educational emigration, in order to minimize its negative consequences. A system of measures is proposed for this: motivation of Ukrainian Universities to develop double bachelor’s degree programs with EU countries, development of state policy to minimize significant emigration, system of stimulating students to study in Ukraine and system of effective informing school graduates about international mobility opportunities in the time of studying in Ukrainian Universities.
1. Stadnyy Y. (2019). Ukrayinsʹke student•stvo za kordonom: dani do 2017/18 navchalʹnoho roku [Ukrainian students abroad: data of 2017/2018] Retrieved from https://cedos.org.ua/uk/articles/ukrainske-studentstvo-za-kordonom-dani-... (in Ukrainian)
2. Zholobovych I. (2018), Chomu ukrayinsʹki studenty yidutʹ navchatysya za kordon i chy mozhna zminyty? [Why Ukrainian students are going to study abroad and can we change this?] Retrieved from: https://dzerkalo.media/news/chomu-ukrainski-studenti-idut-navchatisya-za... (in Ukrainian)
3. Stadnyy Y. (2015) Ukrayinsʹki studenty v polʹsʹkykh VNZ (2008-2015) [Ukrayinsʹki studenty v polʹsʹkykh VNZ (2008-2015)] Retrieved from: https://cedos.org.ua/uk/articles/ukrainski-studenty-v-polskykh-vnz-2008-... (in Ukrainian)
4. Osvita v Ukrayini. Lʹviv: perelik kompaniy z navchannya za kordonom [Education in Ukraine, Lviv: the list of the companies for studying abroad] Retrieved from http://www.parta.com.ua/ukr/abroad_courses/lvov/page_3/ (accessed 15 July 2020) (in Ukrainian)
5. Kokhanevych O., Oliyarchyk T. (2015) Zdobuty osvitu: u Lʹvovi chy za kordonom? [To get the education: in Lviv or abroad?] Lʹvivsʹka poshta [Lviv Post], №57-58 (1668-1669). Retrieved from: http://www.lvivpost.net/lvivnews/n/30285 (in Ukrainian)
6. Global Flow of Tertiary-Level Students. Retrieved from: http://uis.unesco.org/en/uis-student-flow (accessed 15 July 2020)
7. Florencia Torche (2019). WIDER Working Paper 2019/88, Educational mobility in developing countries. Retrieved from: (https://www.wider.unu.edu/sites/default/files/Publications/Working-paper...)
8. International student mobility. Retrieved from: (https://data.oecd.org/students/international-student-mobility.htm (accessed 15 July 2020)