The COVID-19 pandemic has changed not only the lives of many people, but also the situation in global and local markets. Worldwide, there has been a significant reduction in production capacity due to the closure of borders between countries and the introduction of self-isolation. The spread of the epidemic disrupted the usual trade relations between producers and consumers, caused serious changes in the activities of logistics companies. The crisis caused an imbalance of freight flows due to changes in demand, cessation of production activities and restrictions: there was a decrease in freight traffic worldwide and locally due to the closure of borders, mass closures, rising dollar, isolation, decline demand and purchasing power, as well as the state of fear and uncertainty among consumers. Many factories and plants around the world were quarantined, leaving nothing and no one to transport; lack of simple, clear rules of the game in the conditions of quarantine for representatives of the logistics market, etc. Quarantine measures taken to reduce the spread of morbidity caused by COVID-19 have significantly affected Ukraine’s transport system, including the rail freight market.
The article considers the problem of the impact of the pandemic caused by COVID-19 on the freight rail market. As a result, we analyzed the indicators of traffic by various modes of transport and freight turnover for January-July 2019-2020; monthly dynamics of freight traffic by railways of Ukraine cumulatively during January-July 2019-2020; structure of distribution of cargo turnover and transportation by directions (transit, import, export, domestic transportation) for the first half of 2019- 2020. Factors influencing the state and change of volumes and structure of freight transportation of JSC “Ukrzaliznytsia” are singled out. Measures to reduce the negative impact of various factors on the state and development of the rail freight market are proposed.
Analyzed in this article, the work of domestic and foreign scientists, managers, made it possible to identify the features of successful and unsuccessful public management of transport infrastructure around the world during the pandemic in the field of rail freight. It should be noted that countries have made decisions to combat the spread of the disease, to support the production and economic activities of economic entities in different ways. Decisions made at different levels of government, as time has shown, were not always be timely, effective and reasonable. The coronavirus pandemic has been a challenge for the global transport system. At the same time, it showed its critical impact on both the functioning of the economy and the quality of life of the population.
1. Official website of the International Monetary Fund [Online], available at: https://www.imf.org/external/index.htm.
2. Official website of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine [Online], available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
3. Official site of Ukrzaliznytsia [Online], available at: https://www.uz.gov.ua/.
4. Resolution of May 27, 2020 № 534 "On approval of the State program of economic stimulation to overcome the negative consequences,..." [Online], available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/534-2020-%D0%BF#Text.
5. Kostenikov O.M., Chudna O.L., Barskova A.Y. (2015) Research of seasonal non-uniformity of cargo transportation and its influence on the organization of local work of polling stations [Text] . Collection of scientific works of the Ukrainian State Academy of Railway Transport. No 152, pp 15-20.
6. Eitutis G., Artemyeva S. (2017) General tendencies and factors of influence on the volume of freight traffic in modern conditions. Problems of transport complex of Ukraine. No 60.pp.78-86.
7. Sharma Amalesh, Adhikary Anirban, Borah Sourav Bikash. (2020) Covid-19′s impact on supply chain decisions: Strategic insights from NASDAQ 100 firms using Twitter data. Journal of Business Research, pp. 443-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101928.
8. Ivanov D., Dolgui A. Viability of intertwined supply networks: Extending the supply chain resilience angles towards survivability. A position paper motivated by COVID-19 outbreak / D. Ivanov, A. Dolgui // International Journal of Production Research (2020), p. 1-12. -https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101928.
9. Ranney M.L., Valerie G., Jha A.K. (2020) Critical supply shortages-the need for ventilators and personal protective equipment during the Covid-19 pandemic. New England Journal of Medicine, 382, Article e41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101928.
10. Sun Xiaoqian, Wandelt Sebastian, Zhang Anming. (2020) How did COVID-19 impact air transportation? A first peek through the lens of complex networks. Journal of Air Transport Management https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101928.
11. Alessandro Bombelli (2020) Integrators' global networks: A topology analysis with insights into the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic Journal of Transport Geography https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101928.
12. COVID-19 puts over half of 2020 passenger revenues at risk [Online], available at: https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-04-14-01/.
13. Understanding Association Agreement between the EU and Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia [Online], available at: https://3dcftas.eu/.
14. Economic stimulus program to overcome COVID-19 [Online], available at: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1/18%20-%20Department/18%20-%20....
15. The government predicted the consequences of the crisis for Ukrzaliznytsia[Online], available at: https://railinsider.com.ua/uryad-sprognozuvav-naslidky-kryzy-dlya-ukrzal....
16. Countering the Impact of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Rail Transport Around the World [Online], available at: https://ac.gov.ru/uploads/2-Publications/RZD_june2020.pdf.
17. World railways under attack of coronavirus [Online], available at: https://vgudok.com/lenta/my-ne- videli-ustoychivyh-padeniy-takogo-masshtaba-so-vremen-velikoy-recessii-zheleznye-dorogi.
18. Coronavirus vs business: how the transport industry is quarantined [Online], available at: https://mind.ua/openmind/20210689-koronavirus-vs-biznes-yak-perezhivae-k....
19. Handbook of key performance indicators of the railways of Ukraine (2006 - 2015).
20. Official website of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine [Online], available at: https://mtu.gov.ua/content/informaciya-pro-ukrainski-zaliznici.html.