The article examines the peculiarities of the development of the startup industry in Ukraine before the full-scale Russian invasion. The authors analyzed the impact of the war on the start-up industry of Ukraine in the context of globalization challenges, identified negative, and also found positive consequences of the influence of military and political factors on the local start-up industry. The results of the research on the topic of the work made it possible to propose possible scenarios for the future development of domestic startup activity, to analyze the prospects and directions of the development of the national startup industry in the post-war period of Ukraine.
One of the main challenges for startups in Ukraine due to the military and political situation is a decrease in investor confidence. The low level of investment is one of the main reasons limiting the development of the startup industry in Ukraine. The loss of investor confidence can be related to many factors, such as the instability of the economic and political situation, a low level of legal protection and corruption.
Another challenge is the decrease in investments in startups due to the loss of the country’s ability to solve problems related to infrastructure and market regulation. Military and political conflicts lead to a decrease in funding from state structures, as well as to a loss of interest of private investors in investing in the Ukrainian startup industry.
In addition, military and political events lead to the application of restrictions in the sphere of trade and international cooperation, which can complicate the development of startups that seek to attract investments from other countries.
As for the positive aspects, the study showed that crisis situations become an incentive for the development of startup companies and contribute to the formation of new innovative ideas and approaches, especially in areas related to security, medicine, communications, logistics and other areas to which startups are forced to adapt in new conditions.
In general, the conducted research made it possible to draw conclusions that the military and political events in Ukraine had a significant impact on the development of the startup industry. However, the corresponding impact can be both positive and negative, depending on the specific circumstances and specifics of the industries. For the effective development of start-up companies in Ukraine in the conditions of globalization, it is necessary to take into account the consequences of military and political events and look for ways to adapt and improve the conditions of their activity. Such ways are proposed to include the strengthening of state support for startups, the use of new innovative formats, the development of partnerships with global accelerators and incubators, the use of outsourcing and other new tools aimed at supporting and stimulating the development of the startup industry.
- Dan Senior and Saul Singer (2009). Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle.
- Andreas Christopher and Idil Jaber (2019). Start-ups and the crisis: the impact of the Syrian conflict on Syrian entrepreneurs. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1–15.
- Boaz Ganor and Muhammad Ali Nasim (2020). The Impact of the Syrian War on Syrian Entrepreneurs: A Research Agenda. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, 10–18.
- Brannen, M. Y., Khavul, S., & Xu, D. (2019). Effects of war on entrepreneurship. FORBES, 102, 142–156.
- Dana, L. P. (2010). The impact of war on entrepreneurship: an exploratory study on the Palestinian context.Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 17(4), 636–649.
- OECD (2018). Entrepreneurship in regions affected by a refugee crisis. OECD Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Working Papers, 2018/06, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- Serhiychuk, S., & Reutova, T. (2019). The impact of war on startups: evidence from Ukraine. Technology in Society, 59, 101159. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2019.101159.
- Mamedova, N. (2017). Ukraine’s start-up scene thrives despite the war. Financial Times. Retrieved from: https://www.ft.com/content/27354d6c-7c9c-11e7-ab01-a13271d1ee9c.
- Seedstars. Retrieved from: https://seedstars.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Seedstars-World-Report- 2022.pdf.
- Global Startup Ecosystem Report 2022 by Startup Genome. Retrieved from: https://startupgenome.com/report/gser2022.
- Ukrainian Startup Fund. Retrieved from: https://usf.com.ua/
- World Economic Forum. Retrieved from: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/07/which-countries- have-the-most-engineers-per-capita/
- Lytvyn I. V., Danilyuk Ju. V. (2022). Osoblyvosti pidtrymky ta rozvytku natsionalnoi ekosystemy startap- pidpryiemnytstva Rumunii. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Seriia: Mizhnarodni ekonomichni vidnosyny ta svitove hospodarstvo, 42, 84–89.
- PwC Ukraine (2021). MoneyTree™ Ukraine report: Investment trends in Ukrainian startups in 2020. PwC Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://www.pwc.com/ua/en/publications/assets/moneytree-ukraine-report-2020.pdf
- AngelList’s Top Angel Investors List for 2020 (AngelList, 2020). Retrieved from: https://www.angellist.com/2020
- Ukrainian Startup Ecosystem. Retrieved from: https://ukraine.ua/invest-trade/startup-ecosystem-ukraine/
- Na chomu trymaietsia startap systema Ukrainy (2022). Ekonomichna pravda. Retrieved from: https://www.epravda.com.ua/publications/2022/01/20/681620/
- Fakty pro ukrainsku startap-sferu. Retrieved from: https://ain.ua/tag/startapy.
- Ukrainian Startups in 2023. Retrieved from: https://startupstash.com/ukrainian-startups.
- The voice of Ukrainian start-ups: more than half of start-ups continue their operations exclusively from Ukraine. Retrieved from: https://techukraine.org/2022/08/16/the-voice-of-ukrainian-start-ups-report/
- Mintsyfry doslidyly, yak povnomasshtabna viina vplynula na ukrainski startapy. Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/news/mintsyfry-doslidyly-iak-povnomasshtabna-viina-vplynula-na-ukrainski-startapy.
- Pro startapy: Dodatok 6 do Zvitu pro stan rozvytku innovatsiinoi diialnosti v Ukraini (2021). Ministerstvo rozvytku ekonomiky, torhivli ta silskoho hospodarstva Ukrainy. Retrieved from:https://www.me.gov.ua/Documents/Detail?lang=uk-UA&id=c42168c6-7e3e-4c94-8b48- 9cdd1c2d1a8b&title=ProStartupidodatok6doZvituoprostanrozvitkuinnovacijnojdijalnosti.
- Ukraine Digital News (2022). Ukrainian Tech Ecosystem: News, Analysis, and Market Data. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrainedigitalnews.com/
- Investment Nanny (2022). Statystyka startap-investuvannia v Ukraini v 2022 rotsi. Retrieved from:https://investmentnanny.com/startup-investuvannya-v-ukrayini-2022/
- Ukrainskyi sotsiolohichnyi portal (2022). Retrieved from : https://usp-ltd.org/ukraina-opustylasia-v- rejtynhu-global-startup-ecosystem-2022-chomu-tak/
- Innovatsiina kraina (2022). Analiz ekosystemy startapiv v Ukraini 2022 roku.Retrieved from: https://innovative-country.com.ua/uk/analiz-ekosystemi-startapiv-v-ukrayini-2022-roku
- New voice (2022). Retrieved from: https://biz.nv.ua/ukr/tech/google-nadav-granti-25-ukrajinskim- startapam-novini-ukrajini-50288015.html
- Startapy na fronti: viina ne zupynyla ukrainski startapy. AIN.UA. Retrieved from: https://ain.ua/2022/05/18/startapy-na-fronti-vijna-ne-zupynyly-ukrayinski-startapy
- Iak viina vplyvaie na ukrainskyi IT-sektor: doslidzhennia (2019). Ukrainska pravda Retrieved from: https://www.pravda.com.ua/articles/2019/11/30/7169862/