Purpose. The objective of the work is to develop the concept of geodynamic evolution of the Western Donbass (WD) shear dislocation zone on the basis of determining the natural gas content results analysis with the help of Svidovska site example using modern information processing and visualization facilities; the establishment of the main regularities for influence of shear tectonics on the formation of gas accumulations in coal-bearing sediments of WD. Methodology. For the structural-geological information analysis methods of digital geological mapping, mining-geometric modeling, and geological-structural analysis (diagnostic geometry of the discontinuous structures paragenesis) were applied. A set of methods for statistical data processing of tectonic disturbance was used, which is an estimate of azimuth ruptures orientations occurrence frequency calculated using the method of rose diagrams. A complex analysis was used to reveal structural elements in the coal seam, which include morphometric and morphostructural studies of deformation processes that are a trend analysis of the soil surface of coal horizons and the rate of deformation in local areas using gradient analysis of the residue surface through excluding the regional background was estimated. When processing and analyzing definitions of natural gas content using KA 61 core gas samplers, performing coal seam tests by the KII-65 seam tester, gas logging, we used interpolation methods for the initial data of the coal seams’ natural methane content and the visualization of the surfaces of gas contour line. The studies were conducted on 134 wells in 8 coal seams (с1, с42, с5,, с6в, с7н, c8в, c8н, c10в) and accounted for 102 samples of gas coal. Results. We propose a model for formation of a principled Western Donbass dislocation zone under conditions of transtension, which caused the forming of shear-expansion along the transform fault of the submeridional strike – the formation of a pull-apart, followed by the development of “domino” structures as a result of the left-lateral shear activation. It was revealed that faults of the northwestern orientation (the azimuth of the strike is 340°) of the eastern wing of the Dniprovska mine and the Svidovskoy section form a single tectonobande, oriented parallel to the Krivorozhskiy‑Pavlovskiy suture zone and we can observe a right-handed shift along the plane displacement. The allocated tectonobande divides the Central block of the Samara block into two almost equal parts. Within Svidovskoy the WD terrain there have been delineated zones of low and abnormally high gas contents. These were caused by a presence of, respectively, small displacement faults represented by sinistral R1 shears and fault related fold structures, which axes appeared to be subparallel to principal strikes of normal faults of the region. A total set of subsidiary structures has been formed in sinistral strike-slip zone triggered by interplay of compressive-tensile environments. Originality. For the first time, we propose a formation model of WD dislocation zone under conditions of transtension, which caused the forming of shear-gapping along the transform rupture of the submeridional strike – the formation of a pull-apart, followed by the development of “domino” structures as a result of the left-lateral shear activation, which had a direct effect on the gas content of sediments in zones of tectonic bands which have a shear nature. For the first time, it was ascertained that zones with reduced values of the natural gas content of the northeastern strike which were revealed within the coal seams, arise from the presence of a tectonic band in the rock massif, represented by a series of low-amplitude tectonic disturbances, morphologically shifts are represented by left synthetic Riedel shears R1 that are traced within Zahidno-Donbaska and Pavlogradska mining concessions. Practical significance. The regularities of shear tectonics effecting on the formation of gas accumulations in coal seams of the WD, established in the work, are important not only for clarifying the mechanism of tectonogenesis and the nature of coal formation and gas deposits, but also for optimizing the search for gas-bearing structures, objects and conditions for their formation and localization in a coal-bearing massif. Structural-tectonic analysis in conjunction with the actual data analysis of the natural gas content from mining territories’ coal seams can reduce the cost of finding promising (profitable) plots with high methane content, as well as in the case of coal deposits exploitation, it is possible to sustainably predict structurally-tectonic inhomogeneity.
- Abayantsev, A. S. (1958). Tectonics of Novomoskovsk-Mezhevsky District of the Western Donbass. Bulletin of Dnipropetrovsk Mining Institute Named after Artem, 35, 35-54. (in Russian).
- Alekhin, V. I., & Shagrova, A. A. (2009). Forms of the manifestation of the fault zones of the Azovian geoblock in the uneven-aged rock complexes and ore-bearing zones. Transactions of UkrNDMI of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, (5), ii, 305-315 (in Russian).
- Bezruchko, K. A., Diachenko, N. A., & Urazka, M. S. (2017). Principal dislocation zone of the Western Donbass in the context of gas-bearing prospects. Proc. of the II International Scientific Conf. "Geology of Combustible Minerals: Achievements and Prospects", 33-38 (in Russian).
- Bezruchko, K. A., Dyachenko, N. A., & Urazka, M. S. (2016). Features of the gas content of coal seams in the Svidovskaya site in the context of the geodynamics of the Western Donbass. Proc. of the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conf. "Modern Problems of Oil and Gas Geology", 89-92 (in Russian).
- Bulat, A. F., Lukinov, V. L., & Bezruchko, K. A. (2017). Conditions for the formation of the gas traps in coal deposits. Kyiv: Naukova dumka (in Ukrainian).
- Volkova, T. I., Alekhin, V. I., & Silin, A. A. (2011). Identification of local gas-bearing structures by the trend analysis method. Coal of Ukraine, (5), 33-36 (in Russian).
- Vysochansky, I. V., Mole, V. V., & Chebanenko, I. I. (1990). Features of the tectonics of the Dnieper-Donbas aulacogen (the role of shifts in the structure formation). Kyiv: IGN NAS of Ukraine (in Russian).
- Gavrysh, V. K. (1974). Deep faults, geotectonic development and oil and gas content of riftogenes. Kyiv: Naukova dumka (in Russian).
- Kuznetsov, І A. (1963). Geology of coal deposits and combustible shales of the USSR. Coal basins and deposits in the south of the European part of the USSR. Moscow: State Scientific and Technical Publishing House on Geology and Conservation of Subsoil (in Russian).
- Diachenko, N. A., & Privalov, V. A. (2009). The Tectonic Structure of the Western Donbass in the Context of Shear Formation. Transactions of UkrNDMI of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 5(II), 67-91 (in Russian).
- Diachenko, N. A., & Privalov, V. A. (2006). Influence of shear tectonics on the formation of the relief of the earth's surface of the mine "Pavlogradskaya" during mining subsidence. Coal of Ukraine,(11), 36-39(in Russian).
- Diachenko, N. A., & Bezruchko, K. A. (2015). The role of shear duplexes in the structural control of gas manifestations’ "selectivity" in coal deposits. Proc. of the II International Scientific Conf. "Geology of Combustible Minerals: Achievements and Prospects", 38-42 (in Russian).
- Krapivner, R. B. (1986). Baseless neotectonic structures. Moscow: Nedra (in Russian).
- Lukinov, V. V., & Pimonenko, L. I. (2008). Tectonics of methane-coal deposits of Donbass. Kyiv: Naukova dumka (in Russian).
- Nepapishev, E. O., & Radul, R. K. (2014). Prospects for Coal Mine Methane Production within the Western Donbass. Oil and Gas Branch of Ukraine, (3), 17-20 (in Ukrainian).
- Privalov, V. A. (1998). Rotation of blocks and the scenario of tectonic evolution of the Donetsk basin. Geology and Geochemistry of Combustible Minerals, (4), 142-158 (in Russian).
- Privalov, V. A., Saksenhofer, R., & Diachenko, N. A. (2011). Low-amplitude tectonics of the mine field named after Zasyadko A.F. in connection with the localization of gas-dynamic phenomena. Transactions of Donetsk National Technical University, 15(192), 177-185 (in Russian). (in Russian).
- Prichchenko, V. F. (2001). Low-amplitude bursting disturbance of the coal formation of the Donbas. Dnipropetrovsk: NMU of Ukraine .(in Ukrainian).
- Reading, H. G., Collinson, J. D., & Allen, F. A. (1990). Conditions of sedimentation and facies. Moscow: Mir (in Russian).
- Timurziev, A. I. (2014). Structures of the horizontal shift of sedimentary basins and the experience of applying tectonophysical methods for increasing the efficiency of prospecting, exploration and development of thrust oil. Geophysical Journal, 36(2), 172-185 (in Russian).
- Halimendik, Y. M. (1999). Morphological structure and mechanism of disjunctive formation. News of the Donetsk Mining Institute. All-Ukrainian Scientific and Technical Magazine of Mining Profile,9(1), 14-17 (in Russian).
- Shumlyanskaya, L. A., Tsvetkova, T. A., & Tripolsky, A. A. (2014). Influence of cortical velocity structure on the results of seismic tomography of the Ukrainian shield. Geophysical Journal, 36(4), 95-117 (in Russian).
- McClay K., and Bonora M., 2001, Analog models of restraining stepovers in strike-slip fault systems. AAPG Bulletin, v. 85, no. 2 (February 2001), pp. 233–260.
- Bonora, K. M. (2001). Analog models of restraining stepovers in strike-slip fault systems. AAPG Bulletin, 85. doi:10.1306/8626c7ad-173b-11d7-8645000102c1865d
- Pryvalov, V., Panova, O., & Sachsenhofer, R. (2013). Natural Fracture and Cleat Patterns in Coalbed and Shale Gas Reservoirs of the Donets Basin (Ukraine). London 2013, 75th Eage Conference En Exhibition Incorporating SPE Europec. doi:10.3997/2214-4609.20130809
- Sachsenhofer, R., Privalov, V., & Panova, E. (2012). Basin evolution and coal geology of the Donets Basin (Ukraine, Russia): An overview. International Journal of Coal Geology, 89, 26-40. doi:10.1016/j.coal.2011.05.002