Purpose. The purpose of researches – to search the relation of the seismicity, structure of the crust and upper mantle in the Garm region, and - to search of relation of earthquake scale and the speed of rotation of the Earth. Methodology. A joint analysis of variations of seismic activity and the Earth's rotation for the 1895-2010 years was carried out. Spatial variations in the attenuation field, as a basis of the blocks structure in Garm region, was obtained by the method of short-period coda-waves. Results. The findings suggest that in the Garm region not only strong earthquakes with M ≥ 6.0, but the earthquake of moderate intensity (M = 5.0-5.5), usually associated with specific zones. Within these zones, there are blocks that can, under certain conditions to consolidate into a single conglomerate. This conglomerate blocks accumulate the energy required for the realization of the quake. The possibility of mutual displacement of lithospheric blocks are provided by the existence of weakened zones composed from material with low viscosity, which are located directly below the relatively thin and crushed crust. Originality The joint analysis of variations in seismic activity and the rate of rotation of the Earth reveals the existence of definite relation between the size the earthquake and the average speed of rotation of the Earth. In the same area a stronger earthquake occurs at higher speeds of rotation of the Earth than weaker. The energy of the earthquake is also determined by the stage of consolidation units in the source area. Practical significance. The results can be used in solving the problems of earthquake prediction.
- Aptikaeva, O.I. and Kopnichev, Yu.F., Detailed Mapping of the Garm Lithosphere and Asthenosphere Based on Shear Waves Attenuation, Vulkanol. Seismol., 1992, nos. 5–6, pp. 101–118
- Aptikaeva, O.I., Variations of the block structure and seismicity within the Garm test area in the background of nonuniform Earth’s revolution, Vopr. Inzh. Seismol., 2012a, no. 4, pp. 55–64.
- Aptikaeva, O.I., The attenuation field in the source zones of strong earthquakes in Garm, Izv., Phys. Solid Earth, 2012b, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 385–394.
- Lyubushin, A. A. Hierarchical model of seismic process. Izv., AN SSSR Fizika Zemli, 1987, vol. 11, pp. 43-52.
- Nikonov A.A., Popova E.V. Garmskoe zemletryasenie 1941 g.: makroseysmika, poverkhnostnye narusheniya, ochag[Garm earthquake 1941: macroseismica, surface disturbances, the center] Vopr. Inzh. Seismol. 1983, vol. 24, pp. 111-129.
- Nikonov A.A., Shebalina T.Yu. Novyy sposob opredeleniya vozrasta seysmodislokatsiy (na primere epitsentral'noy zony Khaitskogo zemletryaseniya 1949 g.)[The new method of determining of seismic dislocations age (using the example, the Hait 1949 epicenter zone)] Dokl. AN SSSR. 1978. vol. 242. no.4. pp. 808-811