The practice of operating industrial power supply systems containing filter circuits has shown that filter tuning can have a significant impact on filter performance. On the basis of simulations of a real power supply system carried out by the Matlab / Simulink package, the results of a study of the impact of filter manufacturing tolerances on the filter transients under transformer energizing are presented. The most severe transients are observed for filter circuits in the power supply systems of electric arc furnaces due to frequently repeated operating energizing furnace transformers. This article summarizes the analysis of overvoltages on capacitors and reactors for various configurations of the filter circuit, arising during energizing the arc furnace transformer, taking into account the possible detuning of the filters.
- Varetsky Y., Gajdzica M. (2015) Energizing arc furnace transformer in power grid involving harmonic filter installation. Przegląd Elektrotechniczny nr 4, s. 64 - 69. DOI: 10.15199/48.2015.04.17.(in Polish)
- Simpson Ronald H. (2005) Misapplication of power capacitors in distribution systems with nonlinear loads – three case histories. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 41, no. 1, January/February, pp. 134 - 143. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.840992
- Witte J.F. et al: (1994) Damaging long-term overvoltages on industrial capacitor banks due to transformer energizing inrush current. IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol.30, no.4, pp. 1107-1115. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.297929
- Varetsky Y., Gajdzica M. (2020) The procedure for selecting the ratings of capacitor banks and reactors of the filtering systems. Przegląd Elektrotechniczny, nr 96(3), pp. 77-81. DOI: 10.15199/48.2020.03.19.(in Polish)
- IEEE Std. P57.16/d7 – 2010. Draft Standard Requirements, Terminology, and Test Code for Dry Type Air Core Series Connected Reactors, New York, IEEE, 2010.
- IEEE Guide for Application and Specification of Harmonic Filters, IEEE Std 1531-2003.
- IEEE Std. 18-2012, Standard for Shunt Power Capacitors, New York, IEEE, 2013.
- Varetsky Y. (2001) Exploitative characteristics of SVC filter circuits. Proc. of 6-th Int. Conf. Electrical power quality and utilization, Cracow, pp. 297-302.
- Mohamed I. F., Shady H.E., Aleem A., Ibrahim A. M., Zobaa A. F. (2014) Optimal Sizing of C-Type Passive Filters under Non-Sinusoidal Conditions, Energy Technology & Policy: An Open Acess Journal, Vol. 1, p.35-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/23317000.2014.969453