Purpose. In order to quantitatively estimate the dynamic effects of velocity structure under the three seismic stations of the Carpathian network spectral ratios between horizontal and vertical components of displacements on the free surface (frequency characteristics) depending only on parameters of the medium and defining its resonance properties have been calculated using the algorithm designed based on matrix method and the models constructed using the data of drilling in near surface layers. Methodology. In methodical aspect, it has been tested if interferential resonance frequencies in perfectly elastic layered medium calculated using the developed algorithm and plane wave as a source coincide with ones predicted by Nakamura’s technique. In the following paper, it is intended to check if the frequencies coincide with ones identified in experimental characteristics calculated using the real records of seismic noise and earthquakes, and the applicability of the methods in the regional seismological studies. Results. The major resonance maxima in spectral ratios between horizontal and vertical components of displacements calculated for stations Uzhgorod and Mizhgirya corresponded to the thinnest (less than ten meters) surface layers of predominantly clay deposits, and occurred consequently within the high-frequency parts of spectrum, virtually outside the working range of equipment, and with no effect on the results of observations at the stations. However, in contrast to the Nakamura’s technique, enabling to estimate thickness/resonance maximum of only one (usually surface) layer, it is possible, calculating spectral ratios using the matrix method, to identify other maxima, resulting from the more complex structure of the medium, and, in particular, such as under the station Uzhgorod, where the maxima have occurred within the working range of equipment and should be accounted for. Despite the simpler velocity structure under the two remaining stations (Trosnyk and Mizhgirya) the distinct resonance maxima within the working range of equipment have been identified there too. Originality. For the first time, frequency characteristics of the medium under the three seismic stations of the Carpathian network depending only on the parameters of the medium and defining its resonance properties have been calculated using the matrix method and velocity models of first hundreds of meters constructed based on the data of drilling. Practical significance. The resulting frequency characteristics enable to estimate the effect of the medium on the records of seismic signals, most significant at frequencies corresponding to interferential resonance maxima (and minima). The frequencies should be taken into consideration during the analysis and interpretation of seismic signals recorded at the stations, and in estimation of seismic risk and seismic hazard.
1. Azimi Sh. A., Kalinina A. V., Kalinin V. V., Pivovarov V. L. Dinamicheskiye i kinematicheskiye osobennosti impulsov rasprostranyayushchikhsya v srede s pogloshcheniyem i dispersiyei fazovoi skorosti [Dynamic and kinematic distinctions of pulses propagating through media with absorption and dispersion of phase velocity], Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta, Seriya Geologiya [Bulletin of Moscow University, Series Geology], 1967, no. 1, pp. 32–36.
2. Aranovich Z. I., Tokmakov V. A., Trapeznikov N. L. Shyrokopolosniye sredneperiodniye velosimetry na baze seismometra CM3-KV s obratnoi svyazyu [Broadband midrange velocimeters based on seismometer CM3-KV with feedback], Seysmicheskiye instrumenty [Seismic instruments], 1996, no. 25/26, pp. 111–118.
3. Verbytskyi S. T., Verbytskyi Yu. T. Suchasni zasoby otrymannya ta obrobky seismolohichnoyi informatsiyi [Modern techniques for acquisition and processing of seismic data], Doslidzhennya suchasnoyi heodynamiky Ukrayinskykh Karpat [Studies on recent geodynamics of Ukrainian Carpathians], Kyiv, Naukova dumka, 2005, pp. 80–86.
4. Verbytskyi T. Z., Pochynaiko R. S., Starodub Yu. P., Fedoryshyn A. S. Matematicheskoye modelirovaniye v seismorazvedke [Mathematical modeling in seismic exploration], Kyiv, Naukova dumka, 1985, 275 p.
5. Gnyp A. Teoretychni i eksperymentalni spektry H/V dlya seredovyshcha pid seismichnoyu stantsiyeyu "Mizhgirya" [Theoretical and experimental spectra H/V for the medium under seismic station Mizhgirya], Materialy naukovoyi konferentsiyi "Seismolohichni doslidzhennya v seismoaktyvnykh rehionakh" [Proceedings of conference "Seismological investigations in seismically active regions"], Lviv, 2012, pp. 37–40.
6. Kobranova V. N. Fizicheskiye svoistva gornykh porod (Petrofizika) [Physical properties of rocks (Petrophysics)] Ed. V. N. Dakhnova, Moscow, 1962, 490 p.
7. Kozlovskyi E. M., Malytskyi D. V., Pavlova A. Yu. Rozrakhunok ta analiz azymutalnykh koefitsiyentiv qi dlya Zakarpatskoho seismoaktyvnoho rehionu [Calculation and analysis of azimuthal coefficients qi for the seismically active region of Zakarpattya], Geodynamics, 2013, no. 2(15), pp. 265–276.
8. Kutas V. V., Rudenska I. M., Kalitova I. Karpatskiy godograf P- i S-voln i neodnorodnosti litosfery [Carpathian travel time tables of P- and S-waves and inhomogeneities of lithosphere], Geophys. journal, 1999, Vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 45–55.
9. Kutas V. V., Drogitskaya G. M., Korchagin I. N. Priroda obyomnykh voln, registriruyemykh v Zakarpatye pri korovykh zemletryaseniyakh i promyshlennykh vzryvakh [Nature of body waves registered in Zakarpattya during crustal earthquakes and quarry blasts], Geophys. journal, 2003, Vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 3–14.
10. Nazarevych L. Ye., Nazarevych A. V. Utochnennya parametriv karpatskykh zemletrusiv z urakhuvannyam hlybynnoyi budovy litosfery rehionu ta userednenykh kinematychnykh nevyazok seismichnykh khvyl [Refining the parameters of the Carpathian earthquakes with accounting for deep interior structure of the lithosphere in the region and average kinematic offsets of seismic waves], Bulletin of Kyiv Taras Shevchenko National University, Series Geology], 2004, no. 29–30, pp. 83–88.
11. Nazarevych L. Ye., Nazarevych A. V. Metodyky utochnennya parametriv hipotsentriv Karpatskykh zemletrusiv [Methods for refinement of hypocenters of Carpathian earthquakes], Geodynamics, 2004, no. 1(4), pp. 53–62.
12. Spravochnik (kadastr) fizicheskikh svoistv gornykh porod [Reference book (cadastre) of physical properties of rocks], Ed. Melnikov N. V., Rzhevskiy V. V., Protodyakonov M. M., Moscow, Nedra, 1975, 279 p.
13. Khomenko V. I. Hlybynna budova Zakarpatskoho prohynu [Deep structure of the Zakarpattya trough], Kyiv, Naukova dumka, 1971, 231 p.
14. Khomenko V. I. Glubinnaya struktura yugo-zapadnogo kraya Vostochno-Yevropeiskoi platformy [Deep structure of the south-west edge of East-European platform], Kyiv, Naukova dumka, 1987, 140 p.
15. Gnyp A. Refining locations of the 2005 Mukacheve, West Ukraine, earthquakes based on similarity of their waveforms. Acta Geophysica. 2009, Vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 330–345, doi: 10.2478/s11600-008-0071-5.
16. Gnyp A. Refining locations of the 2005-2006 recurrent earthquakes in Mukacheve, West Ukraine, and implications for their source mechanism and the local tectonics. Acta Geophysica. 2010, 58, no. 4, pp. 587–603, doi: 10.2478/s11600-010-0006-9.
17. Ibs-von Seht M., and Wohlenberg J. Microtremor measurements used to map thickness of soft sediments. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 1999, Vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 250–259.
18. Michel C., Edwards B., Poggi V., Burjánek J., Roten D., Cauzzi C., and Fäh D. Assessment of Site Effects in Alpine Regions through Systematic Site Characterization of Seismic Stations. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2014, Vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 2809–2826, doi: 10.1785/0120140097.
19. Nishitsuji Y., Ruigrok E., Gomez M., and Draganov D. Global-Phase H/V Spectral Ratio for Delineating the Basin in the Malargüe Region, Argentina. Seismological Research Letters. 2014, Vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1004–1011, doi: 10.1785/0220140054, 1004-1011.
20. Nakamura Y. A method for dynamic characteristics estimation of subsurface using microtremor on the ground surface. Quarterly Report of Railway Technical Research Institute. 1989, Vol. 30, no.°1, pp. 25–33.
21. Starodub G., Gnyp A. Models of the Earth's Crust Structure in the East Carpathian Region determined from Inversion of Farfield P-waveforms. Acta Geophysica Polonica. 1999, Vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 375–400.
22. Tsai N. C. A note on the steady-state response of an elastic half-space. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 1970, Vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 795–808.