The article analyzes the legal framework for the organization and exercise of public authority in Ukraine under martial law. It is found that public authority is exercised in various forms by a wide range of authorized entities. Among the characteristic features of public power are the following: it is aimed at fulfilling public tasks and functions; it functions through the relevant public institutions; it is legitimate; it has an apparatus designed to exercise this power, which is separated from the population; it unites those subject to it on a territorial basis; it covers all persons in the relevant territory; it is continuous in functioning; it is aimed at resolving all matters of public importance; it functions in legal forms. It is revealed that the legal basis for the organization and operation of public authorities should be understood as a system of regulations which define the functions, competence, forms and methods of operation of public authorities and local self-government bodies, as well as their structural subdivisions. The authorspoint out that the quintessence of legal regulation of the principles of organization and exercise of public power in Ukraine is its subordination to the highest goal of the state – the establishment and ensuring of human rights and freedoms. The authors establish that martial law is a special legal regime introduced in Ukraine or in certain of its localities in the event of armed aggression or a threat of attack, a threat to the state independence of Ukraine, its territorial integrity, and provides for the granting of the relevant public authorities, military command, military administrations and local self-government bodies with the powers necessary to avert the threat, repel armed aggression and ensure national security, eliminate the threat to the state independence of Ukraine, its territorial integrity and the It is stated that the introduction of martial law in Ukraine has led to many changes, including those related to the organization and exercise of public power. In the area of implementation of public administration functions by public authorities, this means the introduction of certain peculiarities. It is noted that one of the main options for the efficiency of organization and exercise of public authority under martial law is a complete consolidation of efforts and mutual understanding at all levels, which is critically important in wartime.
1. Tarasenko, T. M. (2022) Orhanizatsiino-pravovi zasady diialnosti orhaniv mistsevoho samovriaduvannia v umovakh voiennoho stanu: mozhlyvosti ta obmezhennia [Organizational and legal principles of the activities of local self-government bodies under martial law: opportunities and limitations].Dniprovskyi naukovyi chasopys publichnoho upravlinnia, psykholohii, prava. Vyp. 4. P. 51–58. [in Ukrainian].
2. Melnychuk, O. S. (1982) Etymolohichnyi slovnyk ukrainskoi movy [Etymological dictionary of the Ukrainian language]. In-t movoznavstva im. O. O. Potebni AN URSR/
3. Chernova, S., Voronkovoi, V., Banakha, Sosnina, O., Zhukauskasa, P., Vvainkhardt, Y., Andriukaitene, R. Publichne upravlinnia ta administruvannia v umovakh informatsiinoho suspilstva: vitchyznianyi i zarubizhnyi dosvid [Public management and administration in the conditions of the information society: domestic and foreign experience]. Zaporizhzhia : ZDIA [in Ukrainian].
4. Tsokur, Ye. Polityko-pravovi kontseptsii fenomenu politychnoi vlady [Political and legal concepts of the phenomenon of political power]. Pravo Ukrainy. 2009. № 11. P. 132–138. [in Ukrainian].
5. Shemshuchenko, Yu. S. (1998). Yurydychna entsyklopediia [Legal encyclopedia]. Kyiv : Ukrainska entsyklopediia [in Ukrainian].
6. Yarmysh, O. N., Serohin, V. O. Derzhavne budivnytstvo ta mistseve samovriaduvannia v Ukraini [State construction and local self-government in Ukraine]. Kharkiv : Vyd-vo Nats.un-tu vnutr. Sprav [in Ukrainian].
7. Melnychenko, B. B. (2017) Pravova osnova orhanizatsii ta diialnosti orhaniv publichnoho upravlinnia v Ukraini [The legal basis of the organization and activity of public management bodies in Ukraine]. Pidpryiemnytstvo, hospodarstvo i pravo. № 12. P. 174–177.
8. Holovatyi, S. (2017) Mirylo pravovladdia. Komentar. Hlosarii [Rule of law was the measure. Comment. Glossary]. Rule of Law Checklist. Kyiv : Vaite [in Ukrainian].
9. Pro vvedennia voiennoho stanu v Ukraini [About the introduction of martial law in Ukraine] : Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy vid 24 liutoho 2022 r. № 64/2022. Retrieved from:https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/64/2022#Text (accessed25.02.2023).
10. Pro pravovyi rezhym voiennoho stanu [About the legal regime of martial law] : Zakon Ukrainy vid 12 travnia 2015 r. № 389-VIII. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. 2015. № 28. St. 250.
11. Pro utvorennia viiskovykh administratsii [On the formation of military administrations] : Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrainy vid 24 liutoho 2022 roku № 68/2022. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/68/2022#Text (accessed02.03.2023).
12. Yarmystyi, M. (2022) Mistsevi orhany vlady v umovakh voiennoho stanu:povnovazhennia ta spivpratsia viiskovykh administratsii z orhanamy mistsevoho samovriaduvannia [Local authorities under martial law: powers and cooperation of military administrations with local self-government bodies]. Bukovynskyi visnyk derzhavnoi sluzhby ta mistsevoho samovriaduvannia. Retrieved from: http://buk-visnyk.cv.ua/misceve-samovryaduvannya/2059/ (accessed02.032023).
13. Konstytutsiia Ukrainy [Constitution of Ukraine] : Zakon Ukrainy vid 28 chervnia 1996 r. № 254k/96-VR. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy. 1996. № 30. St. 141.
14. Pro vnesennia zminy do chastyny somoi statti 147 Zakonu Ukrainy «Pro sudoustrii i status suddiv» shchodo vyznachennia terytorialnoi pidsudnosti sudovykh sprav [On amending the seventh part of Article 147 of the Law of Ukraine «On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges» regarding the determination of territorial jurisdiction of court cases] : Zakon Ukrainy vid 03 bereznia 2022 r. № 2112-IX. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2112-20#Text (accessed02.032023).
15. Smokovych ,M. I. (2022) Zdiisnennia pravosuddia v umovakh voiennoho stanu: do pytannia zakonodavchykh zmin [Administration of justice under martial law: on the issue of legislative changes]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho Natsionalnoho Universytetu. Seriia Pravo. Vyp. 70. P. 450–455[in Ukrainian].
16. Pro vnesennia zmin do rozdilu XII «Prykintsevi ta perekhidni polozhennia» Zakonu Ukrainy «Pro sudoustrii i status suddiv» shchodo zabezpechennia staloho funktsionuvannia sudovoi vlady v period vidsutnosti povnovazhnoho skladu Vyshchoi rady pravosuddia [On Amendments to Chapter XII «Final and Transitional Provisions» of the Law of Ukraine «On the Judiciary and the Status of Judges» on Ensuring the Stable Functioning of the Judiciary during the Absence of the High Council of Justice] : Zakon Ukrainy vid 15 bereznia 2022 r. № 2128-IX. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2128-20#Text (accessed02.03.2023).
17. Kornuta, L. M. (2022) Okremi pytannia provadzhennia derzhavnoi sluzhby v umovakh voiennoho stanu [Separate issues of civil service proceedings under martial law]. Dniprovskyi naukovyi chasopys publichnoho upravlinnia, psykholohii, prava. № 2. P. 64–69. [in Ukrainian].