The article highlights the peculiarities of a lawyer's participation in cases concerning the determination of children's place of residence, cases of participation in upbringing and the order of communication between parents and children.
The author analyzes the main provisions of family law and the rules of civil procedural law governing the determination of place of residence and upbringing of children. The article pays special attention to the analysis of the legal positions of the Supreme Court of Ukraine and the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights on this issue.
In cases of child rearing, the lawyer's participation is usually associated with the divorce of the spouses, the establishment of a regime of separate residence of the spouses, however, in such cases the lawyer must draw the attention of the parties to the family interests and needs of the child. property or personal ambitions. According to the author, counseling through conciliation or mediation as an alternative to litigation can be an effective form of attorney participation in such cases.
Undoubtedly, parents must agree on the upbringing of the child, but, as the practice of considering such cases and implementing decisions in these family cases, it is difficult to reach such an agreement. In situations where parents cannot agree on participation in the upbringing and maintenance of children, the lawyer, as a professional representative, must explain to the client the benefits of peaceful, pre-trial settlement of such a dispute, primarily in the best interests of the child. on the exercise by parents of parental responsibilities for the upbringing, maintenance of the child, and the exercise by parents of their rights in this area.
As disputes concerning the child's place of residence are resolved either by the guardianship authorities or in court, a lawyer may be involved in providing legal assistance both in resolving the issue of the child's place of residence both administratively and in court. The author states that a lawyer as a representative in civil proceedings should help protect the interests of the client, but not contrary to the rights and interests of the child, children.
1. Konvenciya pro prava dy`ty`ny` 1989 r. [Convention on the Rights of the Child] Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_021#Text (Accessed: 15.08.2021).
2. Pro oxoronu dy`ty`nstva: Zakon Ukrayiny` [About the protection of childhood] (2001, april 26) № 2402-III. Vidomosti Verxovnoyi Rady` Ukrayiny`. 2001. № 30. St.142. [in Ukrainian]
3. Simejny`j kodeks Ukrayiny`[Family Code of Ukraine] (2002, January 10) № 2947-III. Vidomosti Verxovnoyi Rady` Ukrayiny` (VVR). 2002. № 21-22. St.135. [in Ukrainian]
4. Polunina O. O. (2016) Procesual`ni osobly`vosti rozglyadu sporiv, pov'yazany`x z vy`xovannyam ditej. [Procedural features of disputes related to the upbringing of children.] Osobly`vosti rozglyadu simejny`x sporiv: materialy` kruglogo stolu, m. Odesa, 17 zhovtnya 2016 r. Odesa: Yury`dy`chna literatura, p.81-83 [in Ukrainian]
5. Biczaj A. V. (2017) Uchast` advokata v mediaciyi: monografiya. [Participation of a lawyer in mediation] Ky`yiv : Pravova yednist`. Alerta,. 259 p. [in Ukrainian]
6. Problemy` teoriyi ta prakty`ky` cy`vil`nogo sudochy`nstva : monografiya.(2008) [Problems of theory and practice of civil proceedings] Xarkiv : Xarkiv yury`dy`chny`j, 928 p. [in Ukrainian]
7. Kury`lenko O. M. (2016) Problemy` sudovogo rozglyadu sprav shhodo miscya prozhy`vannya ditej ta vy`znachennya uchasti u vy`xovanni ta poryadku spilkuvannya bat`kiv z dit`my`. [Problems of court proceedings concerning the place of residence of children and determining the participation in education and the order of communication between parents and children] Osobly`vosti rozglyadu simejny`x sporiv: materialy` kruglogo stolu, m. Odesa, 17 zhovtnya 2016 r. Odesa: Yury`dy`chna literatura, p. 35-40. [in Ukrainian]
8. Rishennya YeSPL «Saviny` proty` Ukrayiny`» [Judgment of the ECtHR Savina v. Ukraine] (zayava № 39948/06) (2008, December 18) Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/974_454#Text (Accessed:15.08.2021).
9. Rishennya YeSPL «Olsson proty` Shveciyi» [Judgment of the ECtHR "Olsson v. Sweden"] (1988, march 25) Retrieved from: https://precedent.in.ua/2016/04/09/olsson-protyv-shvetsyy/ (Accessed: 15.08.2021).
10. Postanova Verxovnogo Sudu vid 30 sichnya 2019 roku u spravi № 58/2229/16 (provadzhennya N 61-19420sv18) Retrieved from: https://verdictum.ligazakon.net/document/79699288 (Accessed: 15.08.2021).
11. Postanova Plenumu Verxovnogo Sudu Ukrayiny` vid 21.12.2007 r.№ 11 «Pro prakty`ku zastosuvannya sudamy` zakonodavstva pry` rozglyadi sprav pro pravo na shlyub, rozirvannya shlyubu, vy`znannya jogo nedijsny`m abo podil spil`nogo majna podruzhzhya» ["On the practice of application by courts of legislation in cases of the right to marry, divorce, annulment or division of joint property of spouses"] Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/v0011700-07#Text (Accessed: 15.08.2021).
12. Pro poryadok vy`yizdu z Ukrayiny` i v'yizdu v Ukrayinu gromadyan Ukrayiny`: Zakon Ukrayiny`[ On the procedure for leaving Ukraine and entering Ukraine for citizens of Ukraine] (1991. January21). № 3857-XII. Vidomosti Verxovnoyi Rady` Ukrayiny`. 1994. № 18. St.101. [in Ukrainian]
13. Pro svobodu peresuvannya ta vil`ny`j vy`bir miscya prozhy`vannya v Ukrayini: Zakon Ukrayiny` [On freedom of movement and free choice of residence in Ukraine] (2003, December 11). №1382-IV. Vidomosti Verxovnoyi Rady` Ukrayiny`. 2004, № 15. St.232. [in Ukrainian]