The article analyzes the scientific works devoted to the study of the peculiarities of the alabaster sculptural plastic restoration in three thematic groups: 1) the terminological meaning of the alabaster stone name; 2) mineralogy, the quarries and the stone-working areas of the alabaster stone; 3) preservation and restoration of the sculptural plastic of the alabaster stone. Dictionaries, encyclopedias, monographs give the terminological meaning of the name. In particular, the works by Bilets'kyi V. (2004), Bulda S. (1930), Polishchuk V. (2002), Voloshynets' V. (2017), Suprychov V. (1984), Kulykov B. (1988) were considered.
The works of such researchers as Huliy V. (2015), Chahovets' T. (1995), Fersman A. (1954), Abdel Tawab (2011) and W. Kloppmann, L. Leroux, P. Bromblet, C. Guerrot, E.Proust, A. H. Cooper, N. Worley, S. A. Smeds, H. Bengtsson (2014) form the second thematic group. Abd El-Tawad (2011), W. Kloppmann, L. Leroux, Fersman A. described the most famous ancient stone quarries in the world. In addition, the works by Huliy V. (2015), Chahovets' T. (1995), Suprychov V. (1984), who paid their attention to the alabaster deposits and stone quarries in Ukraine, are of the great significance in the study of the second thematic group.
The works by domestic and foreign researchers, such as W. Kloppmann (2014), Belyts'ka E. (1984), Marta Oliveira (2013), Krestovskyi I. (1934), Charlotte Hubbard (1993), were analyzed to study the practical experience of the peculiarities of the alabaster sculptural plastic restoration. The experimental researches of the stone properties, reasons of its crushing and influence of the external factors on alabaster were analyzed. In particular, these experiments were done by such researchers as: Marta Oliveira, Lipinska Aleksandra, Charlotte Hubbard and others. Additionally, procedure of alabaster sculptural plastic restoration was studied in the works of Yakhont O. (1984), Rabea Radi Abdel Kader, Abd El-Tawab (2011), Askalany M. (2011), Judy De Roy (2012).
The conclusion about the state of the study of the sculptural plastic restoration peculiarities of alabaster stone was made.
- Abd, El-Tawab & Askalany, N.M., 2011. Study of durability of alabaster used in the temples of luxor and Karnak and laboratory evaluation of consolidation oftreatment. Egyptian Journal of Archaeological and Restoration Studies "EJARS", 2, с.15-32. https://doi.org/10.21608/ejars.2011.7484
- Berta, M.A., Livio, F. and Barber, В. 2012. Polycyrome sculpture: Tool marks, construction techniques, decorative practice and artistic tradition. 2nd ed. Glasgow: Internation Committee for Conservation, pp.136-144.
- Champe, Р., 1997. The restoration of outdoor stone sculpture: traditional methods revisited. Object Specialty Group Postprints, 5. pp. 116-124.
- Hubbard, C., 1993. Alabaster conservation. Conservation Journal. [online] 7. Available at: <http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/journals/conservation-journal/issue-07/alab... [Accessed 11 October 2018].
- Kenneth, F. and Hempel, B., 1970. Uwagi na temat konserwacji rzeźby z marmuru i terakoty. Ochrona Zabytków, 23/3(90), s.210-216.
- Kloppmann, W., Leroux, L., Bromblet, P., Guerrot, C., Proust, E., Cooper, A.H., Worley, and et al., 2014. Tracing Medieval and Renaissance alabaster artwork back to quarries: a multi-isotope (Sr, S, O) approach. Archaeometry (forthcoming), 56(2), s.203-2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/arcm.12008
- Lipinska, A. 2014. Moving Sculptures: Southern Netherlandish Alabasters from the 16th to 17th Centuries in Central and Northern Europe. Том 11. Leiden: BRILL, s.17-23.
- Marczak, J., Strzelec, M., Koss A. et al., 2002. E!2542 RENOVA LASER - Laser renovation of monuments and works of art. Meeting user needs - small and medium enterprises and research, Workshop 3, s. 243-248.
- Oliveira, М., 2013. Study of the degradation of 18th century alabaster sculptures through accelerated aging on test samples. CeROArt. [online] Aviable at: <http://ceroart.revues.org/3187> [Accessed 3 November 2017].https://doi.org/10.4000/ceroart.3187
- Radi, R., Kader, A., Shaimaa, S.M., 2013. The restoration and constrvation of Egyptian alabaster vessels from the era in Atfiyahmuseum stone - Helwan - Egypt, XXIV XXIV International CIPA Symposium. Strasbourg, France, 2 - 6 September 2013, s. 501-504. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprsarchives-XL-5-W2-501-2013
- Roy, J., 2012. Conservation and preliminary study of the alabaster sculptures in the mausoleum of Jean V de Hénnin-Liétard at Boussu. Conference: The Renaissance Workshop. London, GB, May 2012., pp.167-169.
- Stonecontract, 2015. International search service stone. Alabaster. [online] Available at: <http://stonecontract.eu/> [Accessed 11 October 2018].
- Batureva І.М., 2008. Study of the material culture of the Podolians of the late XIX-early XX centuries. Scientific notes. 13, s. 216-220.
- Belitskaya E.I. 1983. Artistic processing of colored stone. Moscow: Light and food industry.
- Biletskii VS, ed., 2004. Minor Mining Encyclopedia. Volume 1. Donetsk: Donbass.
- Bulda S. 1930. Dictionary of construction terminology. Tom XVIII. Materials for Ukrainian terminology. Kyiv-Kharkiv: State Publishing House of Ukraine.
- Voloshinets V. and Bevz M. 2017. Restoration material science. Lviv: Polytechnic.
- Guliy V. M., Boyar, GP, Boyar AV and Stepanov, V.B., 2015. Alabaster of Galicia: past, material composition, perspectives. Collection of materials of the international scientific-practical conference. Kyiv, Ukraine, November 26, 2015. Kyiv: 9-10 am.
- Krestovsky I. V. 1934. Marble sculpture. Guide for marble sculpture restoration technology. Leningrad: State Russian Museum.
- Kulikov B. F. and Bukanov V.V. 1988. Dictionary of gemstones. Leningrad: Subsoil.
- Matkovsky O. I., red., 2003. Minerals of the Ukrainian Carpathians. Borates, arsenates, phosphates, molybdates, sulfates, carbonates, organic minerals and mineralogy. Lviv: Lviv National university them I. Franko
- Mashkary, II, ed., 1974. Colored stones of Ukraine. Kiev: Builder.
- Parfenov, VA, Galushkin, AA, Levashova, LG and Tkachenko, T.S. 2008. Laser technologies in paper clearing: theoretical and methodical aspects. Materials of the international scientific and methodical conference, celebrated on the 50th anniversary of the State Scientific Research Institute. Moscow, Russian Federation, December 11-13, 2008. Moscow: b.i. s. 18-20
- Polischuk V. P., 2001. Architectural-building vocabulary. Kursk: GUIPP "Kursk"
- Suprychev, V.A. 1975. Legend of gemstone. Gems of Ukraine. Kiev: Advertising.
- Suprychev, V.A. 1984. Entertaining gemmology: essays on decorative gemstones of Ukraine. Kiev: Scientific thought. with.s.110-117.
- Fersman, AE, 1954. Essays on the history of the stone. Volume 1. Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
- Figure, LF, 2015. Minerals of the Ukrainian Carpathians. Mineral forming processes. Geological Journal, 3, s.120-121. https://doi.org/10.30836/igs.1025-6814.2015.3.139043
- Chagovets, T., 1995. From observations on folk bricklaying at the end of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Notes by the Scientific Society Shevchenko, 230, s. 200-211.
- Yakhont, O. V., 1984. Some remarks on the replenishment of works of art from the Alabaster. FOURTH INTERNATIONAL RESTORER SEMINAR VOL 1. Veszprém, Hungary, 2-10 July 1983. s.242 -246.