: 209-218
Department of architecture and conservation, Lviv Polytechnic National University

The residential architectural heritage of Lviv of the late 19th and early 20th centuries is an important part of the history and image of the city. Given the relatively low status of small-scale owners and the lack of funding, their condition is mostly unsatisfactory and requires professional restoration. Practical work is preceded by qualitative research, part of which is a historical reference and an architectural description with valuable elements that are the subject of monument protection.

Among the researchers who worked with the object, it is worth mentioning Yakub Levytskyi, Yuriy Biryulyov, Igor Melnyk. It is generally known that the information concerning the object of research is predominantly personalized, and not addressed to the processes of rebuilding the tenement house, mistakes were made in the authorship of the architect, in in the list of attractions, an error was made in the name of the object.

The purpose of the article is to draw attention to the segment of monuments of local significance of the 19th - early 20th centuries, their technical condition and the importance of detailed work with archival materials when compiling a historical reference. The novelty of the research is the processing of previously unpublished archival sources based on which inaccuracies were found in previous studies of the object, the creation of a detailed architectural description.

The object of study is a residential building located in the Halytskyi administrative district on P. Doroshenko Street, in a historically formed architectural environment, within the historical area and in the development regulation zone. An existing building, a monument of architecture and urban planning of local importance. The building acquired its final appearance in 1911-1912 according to the projects of architects Henrik Salver and Józef Avin. The security number of the monument is 4367-Lv. The building is four-story, atrium-type, covered with a complex roof with basements, an attic and five stairwells. The development facility tentatively consists of four blocks: the front one, with access to Doroshenko Street, the rear one - located in the depth of the site, and the eastern and western oblong ones, which connect the front and rear blocks, forming a closed inner courtyard. The backyard is not accessible for inspection.

As a result of the processing of archival materials, the architectural history of the building from the beginning of the 19th to the middle of the 20th century was structured, errors of previous studies and the name of the object in the official list of monuments of local importance of the city of Lviv were revealed. Over the course of its existence, the processing object changed many owners, among them: the Panzias family, Adolf Bauman, the Kasern family. It was during the possession of the Kasserns that it acquired its modern appearance. Such well-known architects of the time as Michal Fechter, Alfred Kamenebrodskyi, Henryk Salver, Josef Avin and others worked on the object. To date, the monument has preserved its layout within the capital walls, the composition, the character of the decoration of the facades and interiors of the passageway and the main stairwell, and the high level of authentic substance that constitute the object of protection of the research object. The decoration of the facades is made in the style of mature modernism, while the interior of the passage and the main stairwell is in the neoclassical style.

Despite the satisfactory condition of the load-bearing structures, the general condition of the monument should be defined as unsatisfactory. There is significant damage to the equipment of the walls of the facades and interiors, decorative elements, the courtyard balconies of the rear block are in a state of emergency. A comprehensive approach to the study of the monument will allow a professional approach to drawing up a program of restoration works at the object in the future.

Fr. Reichman (1897): King Address Book. Table. city of Lviv. First vintage. Lviv: Printing House Pillera and Co.

Lewicki J. (2005): Between tradition and modernity. The architecture of Lviv in the years 1893-1918. Warsaw: Neriton Publishing House.

Biryulʹov YU. (2022): The Jewish architectural heritage of Lviv. Lviv: Stary Lev Publishing House.

Hanna Pʺyekh (7/22/2019): For the house on the street A new wooden gate was made at 14 Doroshenko. The Lviv City Council. Available online at, checked on 3/10/2023.

DALO fond 2, opys 41, sprava 7: Construction of a house on the street. Doroshenko, 14

Zhan dyu Defi (1766): Plan of the city, castles and suburbs of Lviv. For the construction of roads and restoration of old paved streets.: TsDIAUL. Available online at, checked on 3/10/2023.

Melʹnyk I. (2008):Lviv streets and tenements, walls, nooks and crannies, suburbs and other features of the Royal Capital City of Galicia. Lviv: Center of Europe.

Ministerstvo kulʹtury ta informatsiynoyi polityky Ukrayiny (2021): Addendum to the order of the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy "On the entry of objects of cultural heritage into the State Register of Immovable Monuments of Ukraine" 18.01.2021 No. 14, revised Minister Oleksandr Tkachenko. Available online at

Plan mista Lemberh razom z peredmistyamy (1802). Available online at, checked on 3/10/2023.  

Plan mista Lemberh razom iz yoho peredmistyamy (1829). Vienna: Lithographic Institute of Joseph Trentsensky (Joseph Trentsensky). Available online at, checked on 3/10/2023.

Fridrikh fon Mih (1779-1782):Map of the Kingdom of Galicia and Volodymyr. Vienna. Available online at, checked on 3/10/2023.

TSDIAUL (1849): Cadastral map of Lviv: CDIAUL.