Purpose. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is an important feature of modern business. It provides a certain level of voluntary response to social problems, compliance with moral requirements of society. Companies have already realized the benefits of a socially proactive position and are increasingly involved in solving social and environmental problems. This raises the issue of CSR evaluation from a cost / benefit standpoint. The aim of the article is to study the existing approaches to assessing the level of CSR and determine the scope of their use.
Design/methodology/approach. Abstract and logical method was used for generalization of theoretical and methodological provisions for the assessment of CSR. A systematic approach was used to form a system of ESG-indicators and to develop a system of indicators for assessing the benefits of implementing CSR activities. Economic and statistical methods were used for the assessment of CSR Ukrainian companies.
Finding. The article presents the key characteristics of CSR. The focus is on the positive impact of the implementation of CSR practices on the activities of companies. A critical analysis of the approaches of Ukrainian scientists to the assessment of CSR was made, which allows to distinguish the assessment of CSR in general and the effectiveness of CSR activities. The authors identified three methodological approaches to the assessment of CSR. A general description of these approaches is given, their advantages and disadvantages are identified.
The authors note that there is no universal form of financial reporting, businesses have a choice of what form it is. The most common are sustainable development reports, which are formulated for GRI standards. More Ukrainian companies publish their social reports, thus declaring their commitment to CSR concepts.
It is proved that CSR is gradually transformed into a system of environmental, social and management parameters - ESG. The content of ESG-factors is determined and a system of indicators in the context of ecological, social and management spheres is formed. The system of indicators for assessing the benefits of implementing CSR activities is formed. A special place in the article is given to the international rankings of companies according to their ESG indicators. Based on the data of the catalog of social initiatives of companies, the general state of CSR in Ukraine is analyzed. It is established that the development of CSR in Ukraine is in line with European trends. The modern practice of social responsibility assessment is systematized.
Practical implications. The practical significance of the obtained results is to develop the theoretical and methodological basis for the assessment of CSR. The results of the study can be used by entrepreneurs and managers seeking to achieve long-term success in the global business environment.
Originality/value. The theoretical basis of CSR evaluation is developed by distinguishing three groups of methodological approaches, including analysis of non-financial reporting, calculation of quantitative and qualitative indicators, as well as index and rating methods. A system of indicators based on the maximum consideration of stakeholders' interests has been developed to assess the benefits of CSR activities.
1. Buyan O.A. (2012). Approaches to assessing the effectiveness of corporate social responsibility of enterprises in Ukraine (Pidkhody do otsinky efektyvnosti korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti pidpryyemstv v Ukrayini), Visnyk Dnipropetrovsʹkoho universytetu. Seriya «Ekonomika», Vyp. 6 (2). pp. 159-165. (in Ukraine).
2. Yevtushenko V.A. (2013). Assessment of corporate social responsibility: methods, objects, indicators (Otsinka korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti: metody, obʺyekty, pokaznyky), Visnyk NTU «KHPI», Vyp. 46 (1019). pp. 53-64 (in Ukraine).
3. Zatyeyshchykova O.O. (2014). Analysis of approaches to assessing corporate social responsibility (Analiz pidkhodiv do otsinky sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti biznesu), Visnyk sotsialʹno-ekonomichnykh doslidzhenʹ, Vyp. 2. pp. 189-194. (in Ukraine).
4. Kusik, N.L., Kovalevskaya, A.V. (2012). Methodical approach to assessing the effectiveness of socially responsible activities of the enterprise (Metodychnyy pidkhid do provedennya otsinky efektyvnosti sotsialʹno vidpovidalʹnoyi diyalʹnosti pidpryyemstva), Problemy ekonomiky, №3, рр.137-141. (in Ukraine).
5. Methodical approach to assessing the effectiveness of corporate social responsibility of the enterprise on an integrative platform (Metodychnyy pidkhid do otsinky efektyvnosti korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti pidpryyemstva na intehratyvni platformi), Stratehiya ekonomichnoho rozvytku Ukrayin. № 34, рр. 135-141 (in Ukraine).
6. Filyppova S. V., Sukhoterina M. I. (2015). Comparative characteristics of methods for assessing the effectiveness of the system of corporate social responsibility of the machine-building enterprise (Porivnyalʹna kharakterystyka metodyk otsinky efektyvnosti systemy korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti mashynobudivnoho pidpryyemstva), Biznes-Inform, №3. pp. 284-287. (in Ukraine).
7. Jankalova, M. (2016). Approaches to the Evaluation of Corporate Social Responsibility, Procedia Economics and Finance, №39, рр.580-587.
8. Bowen, H.R. (2013). Social Responsibilities of the Businessman. Retrieved from: http://www.uiowapress.org/books/2013-fall/social-responsibilities-busine....
9. Kotler, F. (2005). Corporate social responsibility: How to do as much good as possible for your company and society (Korporatyvna sotsialʹna vidpovidalʹnistʹ: Kak sdelatʹ kak mozhno bolʹshe dobra dlya vashey kompanyy y obshchestva), Kyiv, Standart. 302 p. (in Russian).
10. Valientea, J., Manuel, C., Figueras, S. (2012). Social responsibility practices and evaluation of corporate social performance, Journal of Cleaner Production, №35, рр.25-38.
11. ISO 26000 Social Responsibility. Retrieved from: https://www.iso.org/iso-26000-social-responsibility.html.
12. Holovinov O. M. (2014). Social responsibility of business: Ukrainian realities and problems, (Sotsialʹna vidpovidalʹnistʹ biznesu: ukrayinsʹki realiyi i problemy), Ekonomichnyy visnyk Donbasu, № 2 (36), pp. 190 (in Ukraine).
13. Sokolenko A. Environmental, social, managerial sustainability, or Why companies and investors ESG-criteria. (Ekolohichna, sotsialʹna, upravlinsʹka stalistʹ, abo Dlya choho kompaniyam ta investoram ESG-kryteriyi). Retrieved from: https://business.ua/uk/ekologichna-sotsialna-upravlinska-stalist-abo-dly... (in Ukraine).
14. Akhnovska, I.O., Lepikhova, O.Yu. (2016). Mechanism for Corporate Social Responsibility Implementation at Ukrainian Enterprises( Mekhanizm vprovadzhennya korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti na pidpryyemstvakh Ukrayiny), Ekonomika i orhanizatsiia upravlinnia, vol. 1 (21), pp. 36-44.
15. Bobko, L.O. (2019). Problems of corporate social responsibility in Ukraine. (Problemy korporatyvnoyi sotsialʹnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti v Ukrayini), Efektyvna ekonomika, №5, Retrieved from: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=7043(in Ukraune). https://doi.org/10.32702/2307-2105-2019.5.37
16. The first catalog of CSR initiatives. (Pershyy kataloh KSV-initsiatyv). Retrieved from: https://probono.org.ua/csr_research. (in Ukraine).
17. About the center. Center "CSR Development". (Pro tsentr. Tsentr «Rozvytok KSV»). Retrieved from: http://csr-ua.info/csr-ukraine/%d0%bf%d1%80%d0%be-%d1%86%d0%b5%d0%bd%d1 % 82% d1% 80 /.(in Ukraine).
18. CSR Development in Ukraine 2010-2018. (Rozvytok KSV v Ukrayini 2010-2018). Retrieved from: http://csr-ua.info/csr-ukraine/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/CSR_2017_reser.... (in Ukraine).
19. Center for CSR Development has awarded the best corporate responsibility cases (Tsentr "Rozvytok KSV" nahorodyv krashchi keysy z korporatyvnoyi vidpovidalʹnosti), Retrieved from: http://sdg.org.ua/ua/novyny/329-2018-04-27-16-09-45
20. Top 25 best CSR programs. (Top-25 naykrashchykh prohram KSV). Retrieved from: https://www.dsnews.ua/ukr/vlast_deneg/top-25-luchshih-programm-kso-27072... (in Ukraine).