This study was provided to reveal the potential for the development of river transport in Ukraine. There were such the objectives of the study as the assessment of the prospects for the formation of demand for river transport services in Ukraine for domestic and international business; substantiation of the provisions on infrastructural and institutional support of the competitiveness of river transport; identification of the conditions and prospects for the growth of demand for combined transport involving river transport in the context of prioritizing sustainable development goals (for example, the river port in the city of Dnipro).
The concept of regional development of river ports has been created. It provides the joint development of the provisions of logistics and the concept of cleaned up territories. The economic development of the regions adjacent to the river port will depend on their influence. From an economic point of view, direct and equal access to potential consumers of logistics services to inland waterways and land should be ensured. From the point of view of logistics, it is important that river ports (as nodes of the logistics system) are located in logistics centers, providing such access. The result of the implementation of the concept should be used to increase the competitiveness of logistics centers at the regional level and enterprises located in adjacent territories.
The desk studies and a marketing study were conducted using the survey method (using the questionnaire) to achieve the objectives of the study. The respondents of the survey were small and medium-sized enterprises located in the Dnipro city. The main profiles of consumers of river transport are identified. These are manufacturing companies, logistics operators, rarely agents and shipping companies. It was revealed that the consumer rarely uses river transport, usually while selling or at several stages of transportation. Dry, bulky or non-standard cargoes with a volume of up to 10 thousand tons/year, with an average lot size of 1-1.5 thousand tons and a frequency of traffic once a month, are dominantly involved in river transportation. As a rule, transportation is carried out by enlarged cargo units.
The attractiveness of river transport for consumers is determined. This is territorial accessibility (up to 80 km); clear port specialization; the presence of transshipment terminals and complexes for the reception, storage, and shipment of products; the existence of adjacent rail or road infrastructure; low transportation costs.
The main problems with using river transport have been identified. This is the monopolization of the river freight transport segment by individual port operators and the lack of investment in the infrastructure support of river transport.
Potential complementary logistics services are identified. They are demanded by enterprises located in adjacent territories. This is an increase of the quality of transshipment processes, new forms of cooperation and interaction with the clientele, as well as with new port entities and port enterprises. The main parameters of the competitiveness of river transport are low costs; reliability; supply chain requirements/ standards; convenience and environmental friendliness.
It is concluded that the main drivers of the development of river transport are the integration of river transport by sea transport; investments in supra and river transport infrastructure; institutional support; environmental awareness and environmental behavior.
1. Volodymyr Omelian predstavyv Natsionalnu transportnu stratehiiu do 2030 roku «Drive Ukraine 2030» (2018), Retrieved from: https://mtu.gov.ua/news/29923.html. [Volodymyr Omelyan presented the National Transport Strategy to 2030 «Drive Ukraine 2030»].[In Ukrainian].
2. Gruzooborot v morskikh portakh Ukrainy v 2018 godu sostavil 135 mln tonn. Shipping. International sea magazine. №1-2 (170). (2019), p. 22. Retrieved from: https://sudohodstvo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019-Zhurnal-god-1-2-170-Nepo... [Cargo turnover in the seaports of Ukraine in 2018 amounted to 135 million tons. Shipping. International sea magazine]. [In Russian].
3. Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Retrieved from: http://ukrstat.gov.ua. [State Statistics Service of Ukraine] [In Ukrainian].
4. Kolichestvo sudoprokhodov po Dnepru uvelichilos bolee, chem na 10. Shipping. International sea magazine. №1-2 (170). (2019), p. 21. Retrieved from: https://sudohodstvo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019-Zhurnal-god-1-2-170-Nepo.... [The number of shipbreaks across the Dnieper has increased by more than 10. Shipping. International sea magazine] [In Russian].
5. Proekt. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro multymodalni perevezennia». Retrieved from: https://mtu.gov.ua/files/Dok_PROEKT/ЗУ%20Про%20мультимодальні%20перевезенн.pdf/. [Project. Law of Ukraine "About Multimodal Transport"] [In Ukrainian].
6. 39 ukrainskykh infrastrukturnykh proektiv, shcho peredbacheni «Drive Ukraine 2030», vkliucheni do Indykatyvnoho planu rozbudovy Trans'ievropeiskoi transportnoi merezhi, - Volodymyr Omelian. Retrieved from: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/news/39-ukrayinskih-infrastrukturnih-proektiv-.... [39 Ukrainian infrastructure projects envisaged by Drive Ukraine 2030 are included in the Trans-European transport network indicative plan, - Volodymyr Omelyan claims] [In Ukrainian].
7. Ionescu, R.-V. (2016), Inland Waterways' Importance for the European Economy. Case Study: Romanian Inland Waterways Transport / R.-V. Ionescu. Journal of Danubian Studies and Research. - Vol 6, No 2. Retrieved from: http://journals.univ-danubius.ro/index.php/research/article/view/3469/3921.
8. Determinants of River Ports Development Into Logistics Trimodal Nodes, Illustrated by the Ports of the Lower Vistula River. Faculty of Transport Engineering and Economics. Maritime University of Szczecin. 2016. Retrieved from: https://ac.els-cdn.com/S2352146516306688/1-s2.0-S2352146516306688-main.p....
9. Kolář, J. & Stopka, O. & Krile S. (2018), Specification of a location for opted port logistics center in a given area using the method of operational research . The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development. Vol. 13. Issue 4. р. 55-63. 11, p. 55-63].
10. Krčum, M., Plazibat V., Gorana J. M. (2015), Integration Sea and River Ports - the Challenge of the Croatian Transport System for the 21st Century. Naše more. 62(4), р. 247-255. https://doi.org/10.17818/NM/2015/4.2
11. Rocznik statystyczny. Retrieved from: https://stat.gov.pl/obszary-tematyczne/roczniki-statystyczne/. [In Polish: Statistical Yearbook].
12. Nowakowski, T. & Kulczyk, J. & Skupień, E. & Tubis, A. & Werbińska-Wojciechowska, S. (2015), Inland water transport development possibilities - case study of lower Vistula river. The archives of transport. - Vol. 35. Issue 3. р. 53 - 62. Retrieved from: [http://yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/element/bwmeta1.element.baztech-df2d6709-8...https://doi.org/10.5604/08669546.1185192
13. Strengthening inland waterway transport Pan-European co-operation for progress. In: European conference of ministers of transport. Paris. 2006. 137 р. Retrieved from: https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/06watpaneurop.pdf].
14. Urbanyi-Popiołek I. (2013) Ekonomiczne i organizacyjne aspekty transport. Bydgoszcz. 130 р. Retrieved from: http://wsb.edu.pl/container/Biblioteka%20WSb/ksi%C4%85%C5%BCki%20elektro.... [In Polish: Economic and organizational aspects of transport].
15. Wójcikiewicza, R. & Kaupb, M. (2016) Role and significance of inland waterway transport in container logistic chains, based on example of river-sea port in Szczecin. Faculty of Maritime Technology and Transport, West Pomeranian University. Retrieved from: \www/ URL http://www.worldscientificnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/WSN-48-201....