The article examines the development of the circular economy in Ukraine, as well as the prospects of implementation of the experience of leading EU countries in the field of circular economy in Ukraine. The relevance of the study is that for now in Ukraine very few steps have been taken towards a circular economy, although everyone understands its importance.
First of all, the meaning of the circular economy is revealed and the main advantages of its implementation in Ukraine are determined. The advantages of the transition to a circular economy are as follows: significant material savings, sustainable use of resources, stimulating innovations, the ability to meet the needs of the ever-growing population of the Earth, economic growth, and income. The circular or closed-loop economy involves the recovery, reuse, and rational use of resources and, through services and smart solutions, leads to added value.
The state of resource management in Ukraine and the EU, in particular waste management, is analyzed. It is established that in the field of waste management Ukraine lags far behind developed European countries. Today, huge amounts of waste have accumulated in Ukraine, and currently, there is no developed infrastructure to decide this problem, and landfills themselves have become sources of great environmental danger.
The new EU policy and the policy of Ukraine in the field of circular economy are analyzed.
Taking into account the best European practices, recommendations are given to Ukraine on the transition from a traditional, linear economy to a circular economy. The main ones are as follows: it is necessary to change the structure of public procurement and focus on environmentally friendly types of production; it is necessary to accelerate the transition of Ukraine from the traditional model of public procurement to the concept of “green” procurement; it is necessary to develop an effective legislative and regulatory framework for the functioning of the circular economy; it is necessary to move to more efficient business models (such as ecodesign, repair, reuse, recovery and exchange of products and maximum prevention of waste generation) and stimulate the development of environmentally friendly technologies; it is expedient to develop programs of financing of projects in the field of circular economy; it is necessary to promote better awareness of consumers about the concept of “circular” economy, environmental “footprint” of goods and services, as well as sustainable consumption; it is necessary to change the method of production and consumption of goods from short-term to long-term, as well as to encourage the economy, businesses and consumers to maximize waste recycling.
It is also established that in general, Ukraine’s policy in the field of circular economy should be formed and implemented at all three levels: national, regional, and global. However, each of us can begin to change in the direction of a circular economy (for example, through conscious consumption and resource conservation). It is also important to realize the importance of sorting garbage because its removal to landfills and finding new ones is not the best solution. Garbage needs to be recycled, and this can only be done if it is sorted.
1. "Zeleni" zakupivli: realii ta praktyka YeS [Green procurement: the realities and practices of the EU] (2016). Derzhzakupivli [Public procurement]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3cahoOR.
2. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: A new Circular Economy Action Plan For a cleaner and more competitive Europe (2020). European Commission. Brussels. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3rnvl0s.
3. The EU's Circular Economy Action Plan. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3lFj4mI.
4. Antypov V., Honcharov D. (2020). Ekolohichni finansy [Environmental finance]. Publikatsiia TOV "TsERN" HS "Profesiina asotsiatsiia ekolohiv Ukrainy" [Publication of CERN LLC of the Professional Association of Ecologists of Ukraine]. Kyiv. P. 38.
5. Varfolomieiev M. O., Churikanova O. Yu. (2020). Tsyrkuliarna ekonomika yak nevid'iemnyi shliakh ukrainskoho maibutnoho v aspekti hlobalizatsii [Circular economy as an integral way of Ukraine's future in the aspect of globalization]. Efektyvna ekonomika [Efficient economy]. N3.
6. Deineko L. V., Tsyplinska O. O. (2018). Tsyrkuliarna ekonomika yak napriam promyslovoi modernizatsii: yevropeiskyi dosvid [Circular economy as a direction of industrial modernization: European experience]. Ekonomika: realii chasu [Economy: the realities of time]. N5(39), Pp. 30-40.
7. Druhe zhyttia smittia: shcho robliat z pliashok, makulatury i shyn [The second life of garbage: what to do with bottles, waste paper and tires] (2011). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/317wgHs.
8. Ekolohichni problemy povodzhennia z vidkhodamy ta shliakhy yikh rozv'iazannia [Environmental problems of waste management and ways to solve them]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3tPbaKd.
9. Z chystoho arkusha: yak pratsiuie i chym vyhidna tsyrkuliarna ekonomika [From scratch: how profitable circular economy is and how it works] (2020). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3f4cipj.
10. Zakon Ukrainy "Pro Osnovni zasady (stratehiiu) derzhavnoi ekolohichnoi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2030 roku" [Law of Ukraine "Strategy of the State Environmental Policy of Ukraine for the period up to 2030"]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3cfFqIl.
11. Zvarych I. Ya. (2019). Implementatsiia Planu dii YeS u sferi tsyrkuliarnoi ekonomiky [Implementation of the EU Action Plan in the field of circular economy]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu [Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University]. Seriia: Mizhnarodni ekonomichni vidnosyny ta svitove hospodarstvo [Series: International Economic Relations and the World Economy]. Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 93-98.
12. Zeleni publichni zakupivli - malymy krokamy do velykykh peremoh [Green public procurement is a small step towards big victories] (2018). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3f6svtY.
13. Krysovatyi A. I., Sokhatska O. M., Skavronska I. V. ta in. (2018). Chetverta promyslova revoliutsiia: zmina napriamiv mizhnarodnykh investytsiinykh potokiv [The fourth industrial revolution: change in the direction of international investment flows]: monograph. Ternopil: Osadtsa Yu. V. P. 478.
14. Nova polityka YeS z "tsyrkuliarnoi" ekonomiky: mozhlyvosti dlia Ukrainy [New EU policy on the "circular" economy: opportunities for Ukraine]. Publikatsiia HO "Diksi Hrup" [Publication of the NGO "Dixie Group"]. 2020. P. 16.
15. Novyi zakon pro reformu systemy publichnykh zakupivel vstupyv v diiu: ekolohichni aspekty [A new law on public procurement reform has entered into force: environmental aspects] (2020). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3f8ca84.
16. Orhanizatsiino-pravovi aspekty tsyrkuliarnoi ekonomiky [Organizational and legal aspects of the circular economy] (2019). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/31azpGy.
17. Rekultyvatsiia polihoniv i smittiezvalyshch: problemni pytannia ta krashchi praktyk [Landfill reclamation: problematic issues and best practices]. Zbirka materialiv Natsionalnoho forumu "Povodzhennia z vidkhodamy v Ukraini: zakonodavstvo, ekonomika, tekhnolohii" [Collection of materials of the National Forum "Waste Management in Ukraine: Legislation, Economy, Technology"]. K: Center for Environmental Education and Information. P. 197.
18. Rozporiadzhennia KMU "Pro skhvalennia Natsionalnoi stratehii upravlinnia vidkhodamy v Ukraini do 2030 roku" [Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On approval of the National Waste Management Strategy in Ukraine until 2030"]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3reNCg8/.
19. Ruda M. V., Myrka Ya. V. (2020). Tsyrkuliarni biznes-modeli v Ukraini [Circular business models in Ukraine]. Menedzhment ta pidpryiemnytstvo v Ukraini: etapy stanovlennia ta problemy rozvytku [Management and entrepreneurship in Ukraine: stages of formation and problems of development]. Tom 2, N1, Pp. 107-121.
20. Seisebaieva N. H. (2019). Stratehiia staloho rozvytku Ukrainy: tsyrkuliarna ekonomika ta tsyrkuliarni biznes-modeli [Sustainable Development Strategy of Ukraine: Circular Economy and Circular Business Models]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3cUATu0.
21. Smittiespaliuvalni zavody - tse ok? Dosvid Shvetsii ta Ukrainy [Waste incinerators - is it ok? Experience of Sweden and Ukraine] (2019). Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3d3W8JM.
22. U top-10 zasmichenykh krain. Shcho treba zrobyty z vidkhodamy v Ukraini prosto zaraz [In the top 10 littered countries. What to do with waste in Ukraine right now]. Retrieved from: https://bit.ly/3ra39xX.