The study is based on the approach of scientists to distinguish three levels of the digital economy, when the 1st level covers: information services; telecommunications; software and IT consulting; production of components.
For the study of the 1st level of the digital economy in Ukraine, the following types of economic activity (TEA) were selected: production of computers, electronic and optical products; publishing software; telecommunications (electrical communications); computer programming, consulting and related activities; provision of information services. These TEA were evaluated according to the following indicators: volumes of sold products (goods, services); the number of employed workers; personnel costs. The sample was formed for the period 2012–2021. Statistical methods, methods of comparison and generalization were used in the research.
Programming, consulting and related activities show the highest rate of increase in the volume of implementation during the studied period. The smallest growth is observed in the field of telecommunications, which is explained by the fact that the volume of implementation of communication services in the base year of 2012 exceeded other foreign trade several times. The production of computers, electronic and optical products in 2021 reached the highest value during the studied period. In 2017–2018 and in 2021, the provision of information services in terms of growth rates exceeded computer programming, consulting and related activities.
The number of employees in the field of computer programming, consulting and related activities increased by 3.49 times over ten years, and in the field of information services – by 2.55 times. Despite the growth in sales of computers, electronic and optical products, and communication services, the number of employees at these TEA decreased significantly during the period under study. In 2019–2021, the growth trend of employed workers in the following areas was approximately the same: software publishing, computer programming, consulting and related activities; provision of information services. During the studied period, the costs per employee were the highest in the field of telecommunications. Since 2019, spending per employee in computer programming, consulting and related activities has been the lowest.
The results of the research can be used to form an information base for making managerial decisions at various levels of the economy.
- Military tech – nova haluz u fokusi rozvytku nashoi derzhavy [Military tech – a new industry in the focus of our state’s development]. DIA: website. Retrieved from: https://dia.dp.gov.ua/military-tech-nova-galuz-u-fokusi- rozvitku-nasho%D1%97-derzhavi/ (date of application: 08.02.2023).
- Yak IT-industriia rozvyvaie inshi haluzi ekonomiky u 2022 rotsi [How the IT industry develops other sectors of the economy in 2022]. Finance.ua: website. Retrieved from: https://finance.ua/ua/goodtoknow/jak-it- industrija-rozvyvae-inshi-galuzi-ekonomiky (date of application: 08.02.2023).
- Kulynych M. (2019). Tendentsii stanovlennia tsyfrovoi ekonomiky v hlobalnomu ekonomichnomu prostori [Digital Economy Trends in the Global Economic Space]. Modern Economics, No. 16(2019), 57–63. https://doi.org/10.31521/modecon.V16(2019)-08
- Tsyfrova ekonomika: trendy, ryzyky ta sotsialni determinanty [Digital economy: trends, risks and social determinants]. Razumkov centre: website. Retrieved from: https://razumkov.org.ua/uploads/article/ 2020_digitalization.pdf (date of application: 11.01.2023).
- Sirko A. (2020). Realii tsyfrovoi ekonomiky: novi mozhlyvosti ta vyklyky dlia suspilstva i derzhavy [The realities of digital economy: new opportunities and challenges for society and the state]. Efektyvna ekonomika, No 11. Retrieved from: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=8337 (date of application: 15.01.2023).
- Dovgal E., Dovgal G., Ishchenko M. (2021). Prospects for Digitalization of the Economy of Ukraine: Opportunities and Threats, The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University. Series: International Relations. Economics. Country Studies. Tourism, No. 13, 78–88.
- Dmytriiev I. A., Dmytriieva O. I. (2021). Osoblyvosti ta tendentsii tsyfrovoi ekonomiky v Ukraini [Features and trends of digital economy in Ukraine]. Problemy ta perspektyvy rozvytku pidpryiemnytstva, No. 27, 60–74.
- Kotelevets D. (2022). Tendentsii rozvytku tsyfrovoi ekonomiky v Ukraini [Development Trends of the digital economy in Ukraine]. Problemy suchasnykh transformatsii. Seriia: ekonomika ta upravlinnia, no 5. Retrieved from: https://reicst.com.ua/pmt/issue/view/issue_5_2022.
- Khandiy O. O., Shamileva L. L. (2019). Vplyv tsyfrovykh transformatsii na ekonomiku ta sferu pratsi: sotsialno-ekonomichni ryzyky ta naslidky [Impact of digital transformations on the economy and the sphere of labor: socio-economic risks and consequences]. Ekonomichnyi visnyk Donbasu, No. 3(57), 181–188. https://doi.org/10.12958/1817-3772-2019-3(57)-181-188
- Petrova I., Balyka O., Kachan H. (2020). Digital economy and digital employment appearence. Social and labour relations: theory and practice, No. 10(2), 10–20. https://doi.org/10.21511/slrtp.10(2).2020.02
- Kraus K. M., Kraus N. M., Marchenko O. V. (2022). Tsyfrovi profesii maibutnoho: na yaki zminy chekaty liudskomu kapitalu v umovakh stanovlennia sotsialnoho pidpryiemnytstva? [Digital professions of the future: what changes to expect to human capital in the conditions of establishing social entrepreneurship?]. Innovation and Sustainability, No. 1, 53–64. https://doi.org/10.31649/ins.2022.1.53.64
- Galtsova O. L. (Eds.). Tsyfrovizatsiia ekonomiky yak faktor ekonomichnoho zrostannia [Digitization of the economy as a factor of economic growth] (in Ukrainian).
- Mazur N. A. (Eds.). Tsyfrova transformatsiia ekonomiky: mikro- ta makroaspekty. [Digital transformation of the economy: micro and macro aspects] (in Ukrainian).
- Bukh R., Heeks R. (2017). Defining, Conceptualising and Measuring the Digital Economy. Global Development Institute working papers, No. 68. Retrieved from: https://diodeweb.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/ diwkppr68-diode.pdf (date of application: 20.01.2023).
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine: website. Retrieved from: https://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ (date of application: 27.01.2023).
- Malich Yu. Do IT Like Ukraine. IT Ukraine Assotiation. Retrieved from: https://itukraine.org.ua/files/reports/2022/DoITLikeUkraine2022.pdf (date of application: 7.02.2023).