The possibility of increasing the efficiency of municipal wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) operation by changing the flow diagram of biological wastewater treatment in aeration tanks at minimum expenses for their reconstruction is shown in the paper on the example of one of the regional centres of Ukraine. The technology of nitri-denitrification of wastewater according to the flow diagram of the two-stage modified Ludzak-Ettinger process is offered for the considered conditions. The distribution of wastewater flows and internal nitrate recycling between the individual stages of this flow diagram has been optimized in order to minimize the residual content of total nitrogen in the treated effluents. Computer dynamic modelling of biochemical processes has proved the high efficiency and reliability of the flow diagram proposed by the authors.
1.National report on the quality of drinking water and the state of drinking water supply in Ukraine in 2019. (2020). Kyiv: Ministry of Development of Communities and Territories of Ukraine.Retrieved from https://www.minregion.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/naczionalna-dopo...
2. National report on the state of the environment in Ukraine in 2018. (2019). Kyiv: Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://mepr.gov.ua/timeline/Nacionalni-dopovidi-pro-stan-navkolishnogo-...
3. Henze, M., van Loosdrecht, M. C., Ekama, G. A., & Brdjanovic, D. (2008). Biological Wastewater Treatment. Principles, Modelling and Design. London, UK: IWA Publishing. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/9781780401867
5.van Haandel, A. C., & van der Lubbe, J. G. (2012). Handbook of Biological Wastewater Treatment. Design and Optimisation of Activated Sludge Systems. London: IWA Publishing. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/9781780400808
6. Nutrient Removal. (2010). WEF Manual of Practice No. 34. Alexandria, VA, USA: WEF Press. Retrieved from https://www.accessengineeringlibrary.com/content/book/9780071737098
7. Mešenhysser, U. (2012). Retechnology of wastewater treatment plants. Moscow: Vokruh cveta.
8. Protsenko, S., Kizyeyev, M., & Novytska, O. (2020). Selection of initial data for calculation and design of reconstruction of sewage treatment plants. Sustainable Development: Environment Protection. Energy Saving. Sustainable Environmental Management. Collective monograph. Lviv, 406-421.doi: https://doi.org/10.23939/book.ecocongress.2020
9. Standard ATV-DVWK-A 131E. (2000, May). Dimensioning of Single-Stage Activated Sludge Plants. ATV-DVWK Water, Wastewater and Waste. Retrieved from https://dlscrib.com/download/atv-dvwk-a-131e_58ff62c7dc0d60307d959e98_pdf
10. GPS-X User’s Guide: GPS-X Version 8.0. (2019). Hydromantis Environmental Software Solutions. Retrieved from https://www.hydromantis.com/