Purpose. Avalanching is a natural phenomenon that can cause loss of life, destructions of residential and industrial buildings, inflict losses on forestry, agriculture and tourism development in mountainous areas. Monitoring and research of potential avalanche dangerous territories is an urgent task. Geoinformation modeling plays leading role for its solving. The purpose of this paper is to create raster thematic maps of avalanching hazards on the base of analysis of certain morphometric and environmental factors of avalanching in the territory of the mountain ridge Polonyna Borzhava. Methodology. Digital terrain models were obtained by vectorization of cartographic materials. This created vector models were interpolated into raster model, which became the basis for classification of geomorphometric factors of avalanching. The following factors of avalanche formation have been selected: fixed (hillside slopes, curvature and hills exposure) and variable (direction of winds). Resulting rasters were reclassified for further operations using the tools of map algebra, such as raster calculator. The classes of avalanche dangerous areas, depending on the combination of values of slope and exposure, were sorted in the resulting summation of rasters of slopes, curvature and orientation of slopes and generalization of the number of received classes. Results. A digital elevation model and raster thematic map of avalanche dangerous territories of mountain ridge Polonyna Borzhava were created. Originality. A comprehensive approach that includes integration of cartographic material, statistical meteorological data and some geomorphometric data about surface in a unified geographic information system allocates the territories with consistent snow avalanche phenomena of mountain ridge Polonyna Borzhava. Practical significance. Certain geomorphometric parameters of relief of mountain ridge Polonyna Borzhava were considered to determine areas with different degrees of avalanche hazard. Mapping of snow avalanche phenomena of Polonyna Borzhava ridge in scale of 1 : 50000 was implemented. The thematic map of relative avalanche hazard will allow professionals to focus on specific territories during the planning activity considering potential threats caused by snow avalanches.
1. Baran Ya. Dekil'ka sliv pro lavyny v Karpatakh [A few words about avalanches in Carpathians] Available at: http://www.drogmedia.net.ua/index.php/dozvillia/2269. (Accessed 2015)
2. Kolotukha O. V. Lavynna nebezpeka dlia turystiv v horakh Ukrainy [Avalanching hazard for tourists in the mountains of Ukraine]. Kyiv, Federatsiia sportyvnoho turyzmu Ukrainy. Kyiv, Federation of sport tourism of Ukraine, 2008, 38 p.
3. Lavnyy V. V. Sylni vitry v Ukrainskykh Karpatakh [Strong winds in Ukrainian Carpathians]. Naukovyi visnyk NLTU Ukrainy [Scientific bulletin NLTU of Ukraine], 2009, no. 19.14, pp. 239–246.
4. Mjagkov S. M., Kanaev L. A. Geografija lavin [Geography of avalanches]. Izdatel'stvo MGU, Moscow, Publishing house of MSU, 1992, 332 p.
5. Svidzinska D. V. Metody heoekolohichnykh doslidzhen: heoinformatsiinyi praktykum na osnovi vidkrytoi GIS SAGA: navchalnyi posibnyk [Methods of geoecological researches: geoinformation practicum on the base of open GIS SAGA: study guide]. Kyiv, Logos, 2014, 402 p.
6. Spravka ArcGIS (10.2, 10.2.1 i 10.2.2) Elektronnyi resurs [ArcGIS help (10.2, 10.2.1 and 10.2.2) Available at: http://resources.arcgis.com/ru/help/main/10.2/
7. Tavrov Yu. S., Grishchenko V. F. Sniholavynnyy rezhym Ukrayins'kykh Karpat [Snow avalanche condi¬tions of the Ukrainian Karpathians]. Hidro-lohiya, hidrokhimiya i hidroekolohiya. Kyiv, Hydro-logy, hydrochemistry and hydroecology. The scien-tific collection. Obrii, 2011, Vol. 1(22), pp. 68–74
8. Tykhanovych Ye. Ye., Bilanyuk V. I. Lavynni protsesy v Ukrayins'kykh Karpatakh [Avalanche process in Ukrainian Carpathians]. Journal of Education, Health and Sport. 2015, Vol 5(7), pp. 96–104. Available at: https://zenodo.org/record/19307
9. Sharyiy P. A. Geomorfometriya v naukah o zemle i ekologii, obzor metodov i prilozheniy [Geomorphometry in earth sciencies and ecology, an overview of methods and applications] Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiyskoy akademii nauk. [Proceedings of Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2006, Vol. 8 (2), pp. 458–473. [Electronic resource]. Rezhym dostupu – Access mode: http://www.ssc.smr.ru/media/journals/izvestia/2006/2006_2_458_473.pdf
10. A. Covăsnianu, I. R. Grigoraş, L. E. State, D. Balin, S. Hogaş, I. Balin Mapping snow avalanche risk using GIS technique and 3D modeling. Case study – Ceahlau National Park. – Romanian Journal of Physics, Vol. 56, Nos. 3–4, pp. 476–483, Bucharest, 2011, 30 p.
11. I. M. Simea The avalanche from Rodnei Mountains. PhD Thesis. Cluj-Napoca, "Babeş-Bolyai" University, 2012, 30 p.
12. Maggioni M., Gruber U. The influence of topographic parameteres on avalanche release dimension and frequency, Cold Region Science and Technology, vol. 37 (2003), pp. 407–419.