The paper analyzes operating conditions, thermophysical characteristics were calculated as applied to WWER-1000 fuel rods in a four-year cycle for unified core. The paper gives a summary of models for calculating gas release, pressure of gases within fuel rod cladding, fuel swelling and thermal conductivity, fuel-cladding gap conductance. The thermophysical condition of fuels in a reactor core is one of the main factors that determine their serviceability. The stress-strained condition of fuel claddings under design operating conditions is closely related to fuel rod temperature, swelling, gas release from fuel pellets and the mode in which they change during the cycle and transients. Aside from this, those parameters are an independent goal of studies since their ultimate values are governed by the system of design criteria.
- “Fuel Modelling at Extended Burnup”, IAEA-TECDOC-998, 1998.
- NPP “KUDANKULAM” Unit 1,2. Topical report “Prediction of fuel rod performance per cycle: temperature field, FGP release, swelling” SE VNIINM, 2001.
- Khvostov, Grigori, Novikov, Vladimir, Medvedev, Anatoli, and Bogatyr, Serguey. Approaches to modeling of high burn-up structure and analysis of its effects on the behaviour of light water reactor fuels in the START-3 fuel performance code. Japan: N. p., 2005.
- G. Khvostov, A. Medvedev, S. Bogatyr, “The dynamic model of grain boundary processes in high burn-up LWR fuel and its application in analysis by the START-3 code”, Paper to the International Conference on WWER Fuel Performance, Modeling and Experimental Support, Albena-Varna, Bulgaria, September 29 - October 3, 2003.
- Medvedev A.V., Khvostov G.V. et al. “Prospects of Extended Burn-up (65 MW·day/kgU) Reached in WWER Fuels” International Conference, Electrostal, Russia, 8-10, June, 2000.
- Programme code START-3, Registration No. 76, Certificate of 22.09.97.
- Azarov S.I. Calculation of the temperature in the fuel rod of a nuclear reactor / S.I. Azarov, G.A. Sorokin, T.V. Sorokina // Industrial heat engineering. – 2005. – T. 27, No. 5. – P. 70-75. (in Russian)
- Sorokina T.V. Comparison of calculation methods for determining the thermophysical state of the fuel rod of a nuclear reactor / T.V. Sorokina, S.I. Azarov, H.A. Sorokin // Nuclear and radiation safety. – 2008. – No. 1. – P. 26-31. https://doi.org/10.32918/nrs.2008.11-1(37).04 (in Ukrainian)